Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Snowmaking

yep, topridge is it, i drove by this morning on my way back to school, from route 8 i could see they had been blowing it in the night, but, as expected, they lied about 24/7, my cars thermometer read 27 and they werent blowing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCarving
    yep, topridge is it, i drove by this morning on my way back to school, from route 8 i could see they had been blowing it in the night, but, as expected, they lied about 24/7, my cars thermometer read 27 and they werent blowing anything.
    go figure.
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by Tmorry326
    How long does it take for them to mail the passes if you e-mail your picture?

Not sure a specific time, it took a while for them to send my brothers when he orderd it online. I just pick mine up
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

WF is blowing to the base, bye bye Gore

yea i was up there today as well,pittyful,i think ill go make a rant post.

New equipmrnt,but no more capacity

Listening to the snow makers on the radio, it sounds as if they are blowing on TopRidge tonight. I heard a couple of guys on Sunway and 3B. They blew for a while on Jamboree yesterday. Even with all the new equipment, I've already heard them run out of air and turn off a few guns or run low on water capacity (that's capacity delivered to the guns, not total supply which is virtually endless) and turn off a few guns.

Isn't "compression" or number/size of compressors usually the limiting factor?

Thanks for the beta.

Snomaking to the bottom

Spoke to a snowmaker who said they should open with TopRidge, Ruby run to Sunway/Quicksilver to the bottom.. All in all not a bad way to start.. Lots of bitching going on here...won't get you on the hill any quicker, and gives you a bad attitude when you get there anyway..Weather sort of sucks for wednesday/thursday so I wouldn't be surprised to see a late start on Friday and them waiting till Friday night to groom once its cooled down again.

now, for whoever it was that talked about the compressor guys at black mt... thats interesting as gore's staff has been doing almost all the install and when I hiked it a while ago 95% of the work was done in the base area compressors and they had already put new ones up on bear that needed final work.. all in all right on schedule.. Other comment from tmorrey i think about the new building being screwed up. According to Mt management its right on schedule, and they knew they wouldn't have it done until December so that doesn't have anything to do with snowmaking.

Personally I think some folks here just like to hear themselves bitch and enjoy making comments on second hand, third hand, or personally made up info.. again I say.. eat your turkey, wax your skis/boards, get on the lift...have some fun.

Oh...if you asked them to mail your pass, and you didn't get it...CALL THEM.. they won't send it out now, and you need to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail before you show up and request a new one.. plus if you call they will have it ready for you when you get there...thats what I did..

Saturday is the day

Saturday is the day. They just updated the website.

I did overhear two guys up at Black Mountain. They were from Ohio and had just come down from working up at Whiteface and they did say that they were installing 3 more compressors at Gore. Perhaps they meant to say that they were hooking them up or finishing them up etc. Perhaps they were grandstanding too, but they certainly insinuated that Gore couldn't start blowing until their work was done and that they had been repositioned to WF after starting work at Gore.

I don't like to gossip and I don't like to bitch. I am really impressed with everything they have done this year. The new lodge looks great, trails on burnt ridge look great, lift at the ski bowl is almost done, etc. That is a ton of work in less than 6 months.

I do think people are a bit frustrated to see other areas alredy open or opening this weekend with a fairly significant amount of terrain. I remember last year there were 4 trails open until 2 days after christmas and then suddenly they had 50% of the mountain open. Weather certainly played a part early on and it was depressing to see it all washed away the first week of January. It just seems that they have the capacity to blow like hell, but don't do it very often. That is the general perception anyway.