Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ski trip

ski trip

I realize this is the Whiteface board but Ive gotten so much help from this board with questions about the Lake Placid Area i figured I would give it a shot here. In addition to my 5 or 6 Whiteface trips this year I want to take the wife and kids somewhere else this winter. I was thinking either Tremblant or out west ie: Colorado Steamboat, Telluride, Vail or even maybe Park City. My wife doesn't ski so restaurants and town shopping is real important. I would really like a true ski-in/out resort but its not the end of the world if i have to drive to the slopes. Any ideas? Ive never ski'd anywhere other than Gore, Whiteface, Hunter and Killington so this is new territory for me.

TIA Weez

Tahoe. Under 10,000' so you won't have to get use to the lack of O2. There is tons of shopping and great places to eat. Stay at Squaw and you can ski at a half dozen other areas within 15 min. of there. Go late in the year after they have gotten dumped on. Colorado is great but alot of people have problems with altitude.
    Good Luck

Tremblant?

I'd skip the hassle of flying West. I never understand why Easterners go through the hassle unless they're staying for a couple of weeks. You'll have foreign atmosphere, good restaurants, a big mountain, etc.... If you've got kids, you've got Gray Rocks, Mont St. Saveur, etc....

I've lived in UT and CO, and skiied NM extensively, and I really don't see the benefits justifying the cost and hassle. WIth the $$ yopu save on airfare, you could get a great place in Trembant.

Aside from that, I'd go for Ogden and SLC.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but- Speaking of out West. Has anyone skied Idaho? It is really appealing to me because its off the radar. Just looking for some input, if there is any to be taken
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

I would still end up flying even if its Tremblant so i really wouldnt save much money by staying here. My main reason for wanting to go somewhere else is I will still ski Whiteface 5 or 6 times this year plus i want to assure myself of some high quality powder skiing. I know i may get lucky and get a few days of it here but even with some of the best weather (Like last year) most of the quality places are ski'd off by lunchtime plus my wife wants to try someplace new.

Whiteface thats a valid concern, i've had a couple friends that have had their ski trips ruined because of the problem breathing. I considered Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer months and thought the place was beautiful.

Except for the fact that everywhere out west is ten times the mtn compared to Tremblant in terms of terrain challenge.

Stay in Park City Utah. 1/2 hour from the airport. You can ski the 3 PC mountains or Alta/SB a little drive away. The town has it all for the wife. You can't beat the convenience.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Weez
    I would still end up flying even if its Tremblant so i really wouldnt save much money by staying here. My main reason for wanting to go somewhere else is I will still ski Whiteface 5 or 6 times this year plus i want to assure myself of some high quality powder skiing. I know i may get lucky and get a few days of it here but even with some of the best weather (Like last year) most of the quality places are ski'd off by lunchtime plus my wife wants to try someplace new.

Whiteface thats a valid concern, i've had a couple friends that have had their ski trips ruined because of the problem breathing. I considered Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer months and thought the place was beautiful.
    SLC is one of the easiest, and cheapest flight routes from the east. As far as the powder, it's doesn't market the phrase, "Greatest Snow on Earth" without reason. Geography dictates that it gets the lightest snow on the Planet. Clearly Little Cottonwood Canyon gets better, and bigger snowfalls, but it is going to let the wife down.

As HPD said, Park City has the best mountainside village of all of the SLC resorts, but lacks in terrain compared to the 'Bird, and Alta ( although, sadly, without a local guide, you'll have a hard time getting to the goods at Alta ).

If the wife doen't mind steep canyon driving, Snowbird is by far the best ski in ski out opportunity.

Whatever you decide, definitely go west young man, it's a great vacation experience.

I used to work at Tremblant but now I'm at Whiteface. Tremblant is a land locked cruse ship. Park your car and never see it again until it time to leave. Whether you ski or not, there's more to do then one can imagine. The mountain although not as changing as Whiteface has plenty of terrain to choose from. One of the unique things about Tremblant is the culture, it's like going to Europe without having to cross the pond. It used to be cheaper but now the Canadian dollar has gone up so who knows. Oh and they have one of the best ski schools in the world. As far as powder, its not were you go, it's all in the luck of timing( I've had face shots at Whiteface)

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    Not meaning to hijack this thread but- Speaking of out West. Has anyone skied Idaho? It is really appealing to me because its off the radar. Just looking for some input, if there is any to be taken
    I hate to burst your bubble, but there is nothing, "off the radar" about Sun Valley. After Aspen, it ranks a definite second in the arena of, "Hollywood north" ski resorts.

If you want to hang with Jack, Demi, her boy toy, etc. etc. then by all means head out, but consider yourself warned.