Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ski trip

Quote Originally Posted by joyparkway
    From a female point of view, I would vote Park City and stay near the mountain. If you stay in SLC you have to travel approx. 30-45 minutes to all of the mountains, which is good for the person who wants to ski, but not for the person who wants to shop. Park City/Deer Valley has great shopping and is very conveient for both parties.
    A female point of view is just what i needed! Can we walk to town if we stay at the base of the mountain in PC? The key for me is being able to walk not only to the village/town but also walk/ski-in our resort.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Weez
    To add further fuel to the fire we have friends telling us what a great village Vail is. I don't really care about the money part of it as much as i care about keeping everyone happy. I thought my decision was made but its now its completely up in the air :lol: I figure I really can't go wrong at any of the 3 but to be honest I love the thought of an old authentic western town to spend my evenings in. I ski primarily expert/intermediate with my son and spend some time with my daughter on the beginner slopes. I wont be doing any of the hardcore expert skiing but will spend most of my time on the blue, black and with some lesser time on the green and double black.
    Bail on Vail. It's too small a base village to entertain for more than a day, and it's right next to I-70. If you want to go high rent district, Aspen is the call. Your wife could spend a week shopping hard, and still not hit every store. Some of the best restaurants in the world, and incredible night life ( not exactly my choice for a ski trip, I prefer my a.m. pain to be in my legs not my brain, but I'm trying to be all travel guide here ).

If you do decide to do Vail fly into Eagle; a much easier commute than Denver, and Aspen has itsown airport.

Re: ski trip

I realize this is the Whiteface board but Ive gotten so much help from this board with questions about the Lake Placid Area i figured I would give it a shot here. In addition to my 5 or 6 Whiteface trips this year I want to take the wife and kids somewhere else this winter. I was thinking either Tremblant or out west ie: Colorado Steamboat, Telluride, Vail or even maybe Park City. My wife doesn't ski so restaurants and town shopping is real important. I would really like a true ski-in/out resort but its not the end of the world if i have to drive to the slopes. Any ideas? Ive never ski'd anywhere other than Gore, Whiteface, Hunter and Killington so this is new territory for me.

TIA Weez
    Hi Weez,

You have received some good advice from people that have skied around. I spent decades skiing nothing but NY, VT, and a little PA, and NJ. I took my first trip out west to Tahoe fourteen years ago. Every trip has been terrific. I would do any of them again. I got carried away reminiscing these trips, if you are interested you can see my take on them at:

http://adkron.bizland.com/skiresort.html

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    To add further fuel to the fire we have friends telling us what a great village Vail is. I don't really care about the money part of it as much as i care about keeping everyone happy. I thought my decision was made but its now its completely up in the air I figure I really can't go wrong at any of the 3 but to be honest I love the thought of an old authentic western town to spend my evenings in. I ski primarily expert/intermediate with my son and spend some time with my daughter on the beginner slopes. I wont be doing any of the hardcore expert skiing but will spend most of my time on the blue, black and with some lesser time on the green and double black.
    Bail on Vail. It's too small a base village to entertain for more than a day, and it's right next to I-70. If you want to go high rent district, Aspen is the call. Your wife could spend a week shopping hard, and still not hit every store. Some of the best restaurants in the world, and incredible night life ( not exactly my choice for a ski trip, I prefer my a.m. pain to be in my legs not my brain, but I'm trying to be all travel guide here ).

If you do decide to do Vail fly into Eagle; a much easier commute than Denver, and Aspen has itsown airport.
    NPN

Aspen was actually my very first choice but the more i read on it the more concerned i got over the lack of beginner trails. I think my son and I would be fine with it but my daughter is pretty much a wolf and wolf run skier so i wasn't sure how much skiing she would get in. I am hoping this is the year she gets a little more confidence. She's perfectly capable of skiing intermediate but i just cant convince her of it. I even made a ski instructor from whiteface ski with her the last day last year and she tried a few times to get her up the hill but to no avail.

Thanks for the synopsis, it gives a nice description of each place. I hope i get to spend that much time out west in the next few years.

Telluride - I love the thought of taking a gondola into town, sounds like an awesome commute!

As for Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer, its absolutely gorgeous in the summer so i can only imagine what the winter must be like. Thats definitely on the agenda for one of my trips out west, if the family really enjoys themselves this year i hope to do 10 days next year and ski 2 separate states.

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    To add further fuel to the fire we have friends telling us what a great village Vail is. I don't really care about the money part of it as much as i care about keeping everyone happy. I thought my decision was made but its now its completely up in the air :lol: I figure I really can't go wrong at any of the 3 but to be honest I love the thought of an old authentic western town to spend my evenings in. I ski primarily expert/intermediate with my son and spend some time with my daughter on the beginner slopes. I wont be doing any of the hardcore expert skiing but will spend most of my time on the blue, black and with some lesser time on the green and double black.

NPN

Aspen was actually my very first choice but the more i read on it the more concerned i got over the lack of beginner trails. I think my son and I would be fine with it but my daughter is pretty much a wolf and wolf run skier so i wasn't sure how much skiing she would get in. I am hoping this is the year she gets a little more confidence. She's perfectly capable of skiing intermediate but i just cant convince her of it. I even made a ski instructor from whiteface ski with her the last day last year and she tried a few times to get her up the hill but to no avail.
    I don't know your source, but I can tell you from experience that you'd probably be right if you were only talking about Ajax ( Aspen Mtn ), or the Highlands, but the other two mountains that make up the Aspen four pack have a bunch of beginner terrain. And, since a ticket at one gets you a ticket for all, you could be off at some more serious stuff one part of the day, and show up where your kids want to ski/ride with no extra out of pocket.

Just an FYI, I get no kickbacks from any of the places I've discussed in this thread ( unfortunately ).

Weez,

You really have gotten some good advice from people who know WAY more about skiing than I do. TJF and I went to SLC two years ago, stayed in SLC and skiied Snowbird and Deer Valley. Honestly, Deer Valley was my choice, but I had to see what all the "hype" was about. Its a gorgeous resort, everything is close and ammenities are endless, but I can see why its not on the top of a hardcore skiers list.
    We only spent one day there (spent the rest of the time at Snowbird) but I do remember a few things- the resorts were big, beautiful and close to everything. It seemed that no matter where you stayed, it was either a short walk or a shuttle away from everything. From what I could tell, no driving necessary.
    Also, if you have kids and they arent into skiing hardcore, Deer Valley was a great place. Lots of groomed trails and gorgeous lodges for your wife to relax in.
    I'm no expert skier, but I have a feeling no matter where you stay or ski in Utah its going to be a great experience and a lot of fun for your family.

Whatever you choose- enjoy!

JP