Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ski trip

I knew I would get some real informed replies and I appreciate them all. I am almost certain I will be heading west and heavily leaning towards Park City one last question then im done How does Jackson Hole compare to Park City?

Quote Originally Posted by Weez
    I knew I would get some real informed replies and I appreciate them all. I am almost certain I will be heading west and heavily leaning towards Park City one last question then im done How does Jackson Hole compare to Park City?
    Cold and Hard. It is a place for the hardened skier. Cold as WF but with much greater altitude, steepnes and snow. I love it. IMO like WF not a family Mt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    Not meaning to hijack this thread but- Speaking of out West. Has anyone skied Idaho? It is really appealing to me because its off the radar. Just looking for some input, if there is any to be taken
    I skied Sun Valley a couple of years ago. Big place, no crowd. As far as the glitter that it supposedly has, I did see it, but then again I wasn't looking for it. Some really cool bars in Ketchum.

Of all the western resorts I've been to, the sketchiest snow. I think they get about the same average yearly snowfall as Whiteface.

All in all, it was a fun mountain to ski, decently challenging with a good mix of groomed/ungroomed.
    Happy Trails

Thanks again, Park City it is!

Jacksom

Jackson is for the hardcore. Leave the kids at home, be in bed by 9, be there when the lifts open, and get smoked by the locals.
    Park City/Alta/Brighton is what I'd recommend if you wanna skip Tremblant. Dont miss Brighton and Solitude; they're not big name resorts but they have plenty to offer (with no weekday crowds). Unlike Tremblant, however, you'll spend lots of time in the car if you try the different resorts.

If we get some early snow in the NE i may end up trying Tremblant in December. We're gonna book our Park City trip for late February. I may forego one of my Whiteface trips and do Tremblant. The only problem with Tremblant is its just a little too far to drive (for me).

Hard to go wrong with the SLC area and it seems your choice is made, but.......

Just thought I'd throw Breckenridge out there. Great town, right at the base of the mountain. The mountain is big, with lots of varied terrain. Does it still boast highest lift serviced terrain? Figures the year after I schlep the hour hike up to the Lake Chutes they put in a lift to the top of Peak 8. Anywho, in addition to having a great family base in Breck, A Basin is just around the corner and is a really fun mountain if you are up to it. Also a variety of other Summit County resorts nearby if you want to spread your time around. The drive over the Continental Divide at Loveland Pass is breathtaking and something everyone should see.

BTW: How is the skiing at Tremblant vs. Whiteface? Comparable? better? worse? and how about the crowds?

SKIdds, I will definitely look into the town at Breckenridge, thats more important to me than the skiing. I know i will get pretty much great skiing out there but keeping my other half happy while the rest of us are skiing is the key.

BTW: How is the skiing at Tremblant vs. Whiteface? Comparable? better? worse? and how about the crowds?

SKIdds, I will definitely look into the town at Breckenridge, thats more important to me than the skiing. I know i will get pretty much great skiing out there but keeping my other half happy while the rest of us are skiing is the key.
    Tremblant Sucks. It’s OK for the first time. I have been made to go there every year by my wife and the only time I enjoyed myself was when the exchange rate was 50%. Weekend crowds are awful; you’ll wait forever and freeze your ass off doing it. The terrain is very unchallenging! Snows OK. We went last year and found that customer service is going down hill fast. I wanted to change my multiday ticket to another jacket and they treated me like a criminal. Unless you don’t want to fly save your money or go out west. Copper is the best and they include CAT skiing in the lift ticket price.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteface Willy

Tremblant Sucks. It’s OK for the first time. I have been made to go there every year by my wife and the only time I enjoyed myself was when the exchange rate was 50%. Weekend crowds are awful; you’ll wait forever and freeze your a** off doing it. The terrain is very unchallenging! Snows OK. We went last year and found that customer service is going down hill fast. I wanted to change my multiday ticket to another jacket and they treated me like a criminal. Unless you don’t want to fly save your money or go out west. Copper is the best and they include CAT skiing in the lift ticket price.
    You just made my decision a whole lot easier, i had some minor trepidation about spending my money in quebec to begin with. I'll stick to lake placid this winter with my one trip out west.