Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Boundry Markings?

Are those things new or have they been around? I can't decide whether I have seen them before or they are new.

Also Wed morning I noticed a posting about skiing out of bounds and how it gets cold at night: This makes me think they markings are new because somebody got lost?
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

The signs are new, and if you are caught beyond them, you will get your pass pulled. The signs are the direct result of a male ski instructor and his female companion getting lost on the night of 2/16. They were trying to reach another friends home in the Chatiemac Club by skiing off of Chatiemac towards the west. What these people did not take into account, was that it was 3:30 when they left the trail, they had no safety equipment or skins, and bottom line is they had no clue of where they were going!!!
    Get this, he must do "public service" education regarding not skiing OB, he was not terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron
    The signs are new, and if you are caught beyond them, you will get your pass pulled. The signs are the direct result of a male ski instructor and his female companion getting lost on the night of 2/16. They were trying to reach another friends home in the Chatiemac Club by skiing off of Chatiemac towards the west. What these people did not take into account, was that it was 3:30 when they left the trail, they had no safety equipment or skins, and bottom line is they had no clue of where they were going!!!

Sounds like Darwinism dosen't alway work.

i was in the chatty glades and saw the sp putting them up....i asked if somebody died or got lost and they said almost.....and that this wasn't the 1st time...

Also Wed morning I noticed a posting about skiing out of bounds and how it gets cold at night.
    Curious thing about those signs posted in the lodge and elsewhere. It says that Gore has numerous marked glades and three designated backcountry areas. What are those designated backcountry areas? I did see the posted signs in a couple of areas around the mountain indicating it was the ski area boundry. One of those was by the entry to what I'll call the Chatiemac backcountry, which was roped (and was sweet yesterday).

Maybe the designated baccountry areas are something different, but if those designated backcountry areas are places like the OB area off Chatty, it would seem the mountain has made those official in some way (hence the "designated"), and therefore skiable. I suppose they would only be skiable if the rope was down, but will it ever be down? It wasn't yesterday at about 12:30.

I know people make mistakes, but this really bites for everyone else. Chati glades were always nice because of the large area you had to pick from, especially if you are not aware of other entries, now they have reduced it to a small glade
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    Also Wed morning I noticed a posting about skiing out of bounds and how it gets cold at night.
    Curious thing about those signs posted in the lodge and elsewhere. It says that Gore has numerous marked glades and three designated backcountry areas. What are those designated backcountry areas? I did see the posted signs in a couple of areas around the mountain indicating it was the ski area boundry. One of those was by the entry to what I'll call the Chatiemac backcountry, which was roped (and was sweet yesterday).

Maybe the designated baccountry areas are something different, but if those designated backcountry areas are places like the OB area off Chatty, it would seem the mountain has made those official in some way (hence the "designated"), and therefore skiable. I suppose they would only be skiable if the rope was down, but will it ever be down? It wasn't yesterday at about 12:30.
    The designated backcountry areas do not exist anymore. They originally included the Burnt Ridge Loop, Twister/Tahawus Glades, and Chatiemac/Straightbrook glades.

So the signs in the base lodge that Lb referred to about skiing out of bounds and how cold it gets at night aren't new?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    So the signs in the base lodge that Lb referred to about skiing out of bounds and how cold it gets at night aren't new?
    All of the signs are new. Gore put up the boundary signs as a CYA move.

OK, but if the signs in the base lodge are also new......they, as of yesterday, indicate that Gore has three designated backcountry areas. If Gore considers all OB backcountry areas as off limits, they certainly shouldn't claim them as designated parts of the resort in posted signs and materials. In fact, you would think that such a sign should indicate that skiing beyond area boundaries was forbidden, rather than claiming to have designated areas. I didn't take a picture of the signs in the base lodge, but I don't believe they indicated that the "three designated backcountry areas" were off limits (but I could be wrong), they just talked about the risks involved (how cold it gets, yad, yada, yada).

I guess I'm a little confused as to whether you can ski something like the Chatiemac backcountry without getting into hot water. No, you can never duck a rope, lest you get your ticket pulled (if you get caught). But if the rope isn't up, the current signs indicating the boundary let's you know you are going outside the posted limits of the resort, but I don't think they say "YOU CAN NOT GO HERE". Which, if they don't say that and Gore currently claims these to be "designated" areas, gets back to the question of whether the rope will ever be dropped, but if you want to claim to have them it would be silly to never have them skied.

But here is what I saw yesterday, and seem to be taking away from the conversation.

1. Gore now has posted, at certain locations on mountain, signs that indicate the ski area boundary. I don't recall that those signs said anything about your ticket being pulled if you went beyond said sign.

2. Gore currently has posted in the base lodge numerous signs that indicate that the resort has three designated backcountry areas, in addition to numerous glades. These signs seem to be intended to highlight the risks of skiing in such areas.

Maybe someone can post a picture of both of these signs to show whether they state that skiing beyond the boundary or in the three designated areas will result in having your ticket pulled. Otherwise, notwithstanding the rope issue, these facts wouldn't support that these areas are strictly off limits.

Actually, I hadn't been to Gore in more than 20 years and we had a blast yesterday. I will be back, and I just want to know where I can ski. I'll post some pics tonight from our day trip.