Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ice storm or Snow storm??

Hi there...i'm a long time lurk-er, first time post-er.

Anybody have a sense about this storm? This thing is driving me nuts trying to figure out. Got a cabin near Gore and having some folks coming from Buffalo and Boston tomorrow night, and i'm nervous about the talk of an "ice storm". I just want to make sure they can A) enjoy some skiing. B) not experience a power outage. C) be able to get out of there on Sunday.

Any ideas (especially local) would me mucho appreciated!! Thanks!

Welcome Matt. Maybe Megatron can chime in with what he's hearing in downtown Centerville. Or you could listen to Public Radio:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/ncpr/ppr/index.shtml

I think item A...is going to be the toughest one...depending on how hardcore your group is. My guess is your looking at rain or snow but not that much ice. For ice you need stubborn low level cold, not sure I see that. So power and getting home shouldn't be too bad. Just my guess.

Post a report if you can.

Good luck.

Harv

Thanks Harv. I think a good day on the mountain on Sunday will make up for a lousy saturday. Plus, we're a group who won't shy away form a few Labatt's instead of skiing, if conditions on saturday are sloppy. Just nervous about ice killing power or dropping a tree through the living room.

Wish it could be like last weekend - arrive friday night just as the snow starts, 6 fresh inches when we woke up, fresh turns all morning, then another kick a$$ day on sunday. Last weekend was a DREAM.

If you saw my TRs from last weekend you KNOW I agree with that. Same for us...arriving Fri PM. Couldn't sleep...watched the barometer, and snow, all night.

As far as I'm concerned...it's been a good year, so far.

You always post great reviews!

As far as this year is concerned, this fall when all the talk about a "strong La Nina" was going on, i thought we'd be in for a wet, snow-less winter. But i've been very pleasantly surprised about all the snow up there, and the great conditions all year. Kudos to the Gore snowmakers as well...

I dont see a big ice storm from this looks like more rain or snow situation, and its looking pretty good for snow at gore. Esp on saturday night

Here's a forecast from a friend of mine who operates a snowmobile website out of Indian Lake http://www.ilsnow.com/html/forecast.html
    He is usually right on with his predictions. I have been checking the crystal ball, but it is still coated with ice form the last storm
    But, I must say, the woods, once they softened yesterday, were AWESOME We have not lost any snow cover, compacted maybe, but we still have 3-4 FEET of base
    Remember to think positive!

I love to check ilsnow.com. Always has a great, no b.s. forecast, and a good collection of webcams close to Gore.

All the forcasts i've seen this morning look better (snowier, less freezing rain) than they did last night.

welcome aboard Matt. Rip it this weekend
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Megatron...ilsnow is a GREAT site. Thanks for the link. Radar looks like it's moving our way, getting a little colder, pink and white. Got my fingers crossed. Chapter 2, Paragraph 11.