Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status on Damage etc

Any local status on ice damage and power outtage would be appreciated.

Weather update 3/9/08 11:00 am

Gore has been without power since 9:30 last night. I am unsure of any widespread power outages,I think most are localized to downed limbs and trees. There is about 1/2 -1" of ice around town, and I am sure the Mt has much more than that. Tomorrow could also be in jeopardy, as the detachable lifts must be kept running during icing events to prevent them from icing, which unfortunately did not occur .
    It is presently snowing, the temps are in the mid teens, and the north wind is howlin'.

This page on the national grid site gives info on the power outages. You can also put in your account number to see if they think you have power.

https://www1.nationalgridus.com/niag...sByCounty.aspx

Tom Cat...that is an awesome link. Thank you. Could help reduce stress if my power wasn't actually out.

They are telling me my power has been out since yesterday pm and will be out for another 24 hours.

These ice storms...I need to switch to a propane system.

Pretty wild Saturday night. The sound of the trees cracking was really loud. Had a 10 inch diameter pine tree fall a foot away from our car, but my friend's car got dented by a falling birch branch. We only lost power for about 3 minutes, but i couldn't believe the amount of branches down around the house when we woke up in the morning. HUGE pine tree down across Peaceful Valley Rd. near Rt. 8. Also saw a lot of bucket trucks and utility crews heading north on the Northway when we drove home today. I'll try and post some pics...

Harv,

My homeowners insurance made my buy a freeze alarm that calls me if the temp falls below a certain value. Nice if the furnace has a problem since I could get things fixed before a major freeze up. It also calls when the power goes out, but since there is really nothing I can do about that, it really just increases the stress level. I can also call the box and get a current temp and power on/off reading.

My system drains pretty completely so the freeze thing isn't really a big deal. Still would like to know more about a freeze alarm, I'll check it out.

I'd also like trees. I could just cut them all down, but I like them. So I'm here wondering if something has landed on me. Guess I need a caretaker.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Thanks for everyone's help. Looks like our buildings survived, but will have firewood for another five years. Lots of timber down.

Monday p.m. Update

In-laws over by Garnet Lake just got power back... ice is coating everything and it's still rough in many areas.

Over to Garnet Hill ski center some trails probably won't open again for the season because of downed trees - most will and hopefully once a bit warmer weather heads in the ice coating will soften and it will be able to be groomed in.

Up to Gore heard it's the same situation... trees/limbs/ice... we'll see.

Keep the cheer and fingers crossed the crew up there can work a miracle.
    ADKSara
    -Keep your skis happy!

this has been the winter of snow, ice, and warm in between.

Gore got the gondola back on line with diesel power in the early afternoon, and they actually stayed open until 4:45(There is a very large group-1000+- canadiens in town this week, and gore wants to keep them coming back-3 years now) They also ran the ski bowl lift all day to at least give those folks something to do.
    I must tell, that when I received this info I was amazed. But, hats off to gore mgmt. for the effort to accomodate