Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The weekend

The weekend

Hi all;
    Was anybody on the hill this past weekend? If so, how bad was it? Enough base to last until the weather gets better?

I'm patiently, (not really patiently), waiting for true spring skiing to arrive. I saw a bit of Saturday's snowboard event from Stratton on TV yesterday and it looked absolutely bulletproof! All the trees were encased in ice and the surfaces were like a terrazo floor.

I've been there on Friday and found the mountain in a good condition, mostly Loose Granular snow with rare frozen spots.

In addition to wind damage there was a 1/4" thick ice on ungroomed trails / woods, with snow beneath it.

My family and I were there on Friday with plans to ski Friday and Saturday. After about 4 hours of skiing on Friday, we decided to pack it in and head home. This was our 20th ski day of the year and by far the worst conditions. There is more then enough base to ski into April but with the cold weather on Friday, the mountain was bullet proof. Just not a lot of fun, IMO. We will return when things start to warm up for, hopefully, a long spring season. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by midwestblues
    ... the mountain was bullet proof.
    On Good Friday, the only part I found to be bulletproof was the usual suspect: area in front of Saddle Lodge.

But then, I was skiing mostly off High Peaks and Straightbrook lifts - I had a good skiing on those trails.

Upper Stielhang and Hulabaloo in combination with sunny and serene High Peaks chairlift were choices of the day.

We have plenty of base to last all of the way through April, and into May, and probably June with Rumor and the Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestblues
    ... the mountain was bullet proof.
    On Good Friday, the only part I found to be bulletproof was the usual suspect: area in front of Saddle Lodge.

But then, I was skiing mostly off High Peaks and Straightbrook lifts - I had a good skiing on those trails.

Upper Stielhang and Hulabaloo in combination with sunny and serene High Peaks chairlift were choices of the day.
    I agree completely. I was surprised how much nicer the upper Mt. was compared to the lower mt. as far as the wind was concerned.

Over all it was hard and fast, but very edgeable except for a few ice patches.

Sunday was quite nice as well. Almost the same conditions, just no wind.

Cover? Plenty of cover.

At this point it looks like it could be an extended spring season, if they stay open. Other wise we'll just have to hike!

I've been there on Friday and found the mountain in a good condition, mostly Loose Granular snow with rare frozen spots.

In addition to wind damage there was a 1/4" thick ice on ungroomed trails / woods, with snow beneath it.
    nothing about that report sounds good to me

hard and fast sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by skimore

Remember that when it's 85 deg, 90% humidity and the black flies are eating the crap out of you this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Adk Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by skimore

Remember that when it's 85 deg, 90% humidity and the black flies are eating the crap out of you this summer!
    I'd rather have a fishing pole in my hand than be skiing on ice