Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

hello highpeaksdrifter,

i'm having our editor write up a current status.

hopefully by the end of the day it should be posted.

have a look at the link below, later on today or tomorrow morning for an update.

http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/onmtn.php

thanks
    mark

Harvey44,

excellent suggestion!!! (conditions on homepage...)

might be a little tricky to implement however well worth it.

will see what i can do for 08-09 season.

presently i'm only responsible for whiteface.com and orda.org

thanks
    mark

Denison,

working on the webcam. sorry for the totally lame current spot...

we recently did a photoshoot - end of the season 08, we have some really great shots. will release new desktop images at beginning of 08-09 season

thanks
    mark

snowman,

thanks for the post, actually that post about the outdated content is what inspired me to get moving on this.

all great points, community is exactly the direction we want to head into...

thanks
    mark

ComeBackMudPuddles,

thanks for the post the other day. it's the reason why i'm here now. at this point you and the other folks on the board probably know the site better than i do. i'm still just getting a grasp on things here.

thanks for the kind words.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    have a look at the link below, later on today or tomorrow morning for an update.

http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/onmtn.php

Hi Mark,

Dig the map and info on Lookout Mt. Any word on Porcupine Lodge? ETA?

Thanks.

ComeBackMudPuddles,

i'm learning a lot from you guys - haven't heard of the lodge until now. so i had to ask around a bit.

there are long term plans of restoring and opening the lodge.

at this point we have no timeframe carved in stone.

m.

Mark,

Congratulations on the new position.

I disagree with providing more information about The Slides. Perhaps there is a way to provide users with enough information to make an educated decision about when they may be opened but providing details about conditions, in my opinion, is not a great idea.

When we go into the backcountry of the High Peaks, we don't get up to date conditions reports. Instead, we read what little information in other trip reports we can find and trust our snow stability tests and knowledge. If The Slides are to be truly considered a bc area, keep details out of it. When they are open, they are open; too bad you drove 10 hours expecting them to be open and they were not (besides you didn't just skin 10 miles into the woods to find high slide conditions, you rode a lift and there is a whole mountain to ski).

Also, more information about the Adative School would be great. I know of at least one athlete from Whiteface going for a Paralympic spot at Vancouver. Anyway, you (Whiteface) have a great Adaptive Program, give readers some more information about it.

Thank you for reading. We appreciate your concern and your interest.
    Mike

I mentioned wanting more info on the slides. I'm not advocating true detailed conditions reporting. Some basics could be very useful. If ORDA knows that "slides are closed for the season" post it, as soon as you know it, in a visible spot. Might save some people (me maybe) some driving. I was at the mountain this year on 4/9 the day after the last day the slides opened. We had a great day. But I made the drive for a shot at the slides.

Maybe it would be impossible to save me that drive this year. Maybe not. When you go into the backcountry it's your call if a slide is "closed." At WF you're subject to ORDA rules.

slides

I agree with Harvey44 about post info about the slides. There is always a bit of frustration when they are open (days and times). That is something that should be avoided. One has to look to places like this forum for info, instead of the web site.