Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Gore Mountain Weather 08/09 Part 1

I've been trying to decide when to start this thread. I figured - what the heck. It's the first mention of the "S" word by the NWS for North Creek, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Stoke on:

Sunday Night: A chance of rain showers before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow showers between midnight and 2am, then a chance of snow showers after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

the s word may be optimistic, but i would say you've timed the thread appropriately, because if anyone is like me, they're starting to get anxious for the season, this is just one way to relieve the stress till we can truly relieve stress on the mountain. Anyway, im gonna put in an early prediction for a nov. 22nd opening.

OK Matt you convinced me to post this.

From the National Weather Service, for Gore Mountain:

Overnight: Snow showers, mainly before midnight. Low around 31. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers, mixing with rain after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. North wind between 8 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

And a map from Accuweather:

No white anywhere this morning, but a few flakes falling now.....

C

The site ssays its flurrying. S.Bush reports 6* at the top
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Seems like a longshot for Gore, maybe more of a Killington event.

Early season wet snow can snap trees and powerlines and create all kinds of havoc.

Text is from NWS for Albany Zone. Graphic From Accuweather:

...IT APPEARS THE SIGNIFICANT CYCLOGENESIS WILL DEVELOP ALONG...OR JUST OFF THE EASTERN SEABOARD. THE BIG QUESTION IS EXACTLY WHERE THIS STORM MOVES. SOME MODELS INDICATE THIS STORM WOULD TRACK ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD AND ACTUALLY HAVE ENOUGH COLD AIR TO SUPPORT SNOW. THE LATEST DATA TENDS TO CONFINE THIS CYCLOGENESIS FURTHER TO OUR NORTHEAST...ACROSS THE GULF OF MAINE...WHICH WILL KEEP THE HEAVIEST QPF OUT OF OUR REGION. THAT IS NOT TO SAY WE WOULD ESCAPE ACCUMULATING SNOW. SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW IS A GOOD BET ACROSS OUR HIGHER TERRAIN...ESPECIALLY TO THE NORTHEAST OF ALBANY. EVEN VALLEY LOCATIONS COULD RECEIVE THEIR FIRST COATING OF SNOW COME MONDAY NIGHT BUT IT WAY TOO EARLY TO DETERMINE EXACTLY HOW MUCH...OR EXACTLY WHEN THIS SNOW MIGHT OCCUR. STAY TUNED.

While there is clearly more warm air in our future, this looks like fun Tues Night:

And this from the great optimist Henry M of Accuweather:

Check this out!

C

This might be a whopper folks

Issued by The National Weather Service
    Albany, NY
    3:38 pm EDT, Mon., Oct. 27, 2008

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR THE WESTERN AND SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS... THE MOHAWK AND SCHOHARIE VALLEYS... AND THE EASTERN CATSKILLS.

A RAPIDLY DEEPENING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OFF THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST WILL TRACK NORTHWARD ON TUESDAY ACROSS THE CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY. RAIN WILL MIX WITH AND CHANGE TO ALL SNOW TUESDAY MORNING AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH THE DAY. SNOWFALL RATES COULD APPROACH 1 INCH PER HOUR ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE CATSKILLS AND ADIRONDACKS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. TOTAL SNOWFALL BY WEDNESDAY MORNING WILL RANGE BETWEEN 8 AND 16 INCHES... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS STORM WILL INCREASE FROM THE WEST ON TUESDAY WITH SPEEDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS BETWEEN 50 AND 55 MPH. THESE WINDS... ALONG WITH THE SNOW... WILL RESULT IN POOR VISIBILITIES. IN ADDITION... THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS MAY RESULT IN DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

C