Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You can also see those trails down to the old Gondi midstation in that pic . . .

They should get started on that immediately . . .

Matt - you are the man. Not sure why I couldn't download it.

I have seen that map before. Would be so cool if the old gondi stuff happens, although I'm sure "the boys" will lament the additional loss of their territory.

Let's face facts - Gore is one cool mountain - getting better all the time. There is so much tree skiing, and more to come.

Hopefully Joe Bastardi is right:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/10...for.html#links

Thanks for the picture! Nice work.

The plan kinda makes sense....But, can you imagine how long it's gonna take to get from North Creek to Chatimec via the Ski Bowl lift/Burnt Ridge HSQ/gondola/summit chair?? A friggin' hike....

It'll be interesting to see if this plan takes off. Can't help but bring Gore more well-deserved attention.

".But, can you imagine how long it's gonna take to get from North Creek to Chatimec via the Ski Bowl lift/Burnt Ridge HSQ/gondola/summit chair?? A friggin' hike.."

Probably about the same amount of time as going from the base of Rams Head at Killington to Bear Mt, that's my guess. Also, there will NOT be a trail to the old gondola line, AND, from what I am hearing, the new triple at the ski bowl is going to the base of the North chair. You will be able to get off the triple, and either load the North, or ski down to the Burnt Ridge lift.
    It is never to early to pray for a good winter!!!

C

See, that's what I thought at first when I read this in the Times Union:

The interconnect proposal includes the purchase of an $850,000 triple chairlift that would tie the hamlet to the nearby Gore Mountain ski center. The chairlift would carry skiers 3,800 feet, or nearly three-quarters of a mile, to Gore.
    And this at a different website:

"The old Ski Bowl is basically a tubing area now. This fall, we're putting in the chairlift on Burnt Ridge, to open in December. The next lift will be a 3,800-foot-long triple that will go up the old Ski Bowl, to the right of Burnt Ridge as you face uphill. Slightly uphill and to the left of that chair is the Burnt Ridge chair; to the left of that are our existing lifts," Caligiore said.
    I thought "Man, 3/4 of a mile is long, that thing must go to the North Chair". But Then I looked up the length of the current Triple chair at Gore (the Adirondack Express, not the one at the Ski Bowl), and it's 7114 feet (!) (Source:http://www.skilifts.org/install_na1984.htm).

So that would mean that the new lift is roughly half the distance that the triple is . . . Looking at the map, I don't think that it makes it up to the North Chair.

I don't get it.

Matt's map shows the interconnect lift topping out on the other (north) side of Roaring Brook. For that trail to connect to the bottom of the Burnt Ridge Chair, there's either going to have to be some kind of a major hairpin turn in that trail, or a bridge over Roaring. Not sure how that works. Anyone got any insight on that?

If the chair goes to the base of the North Quad, that seems like a real waste of chair lift...another chair to nowhere...how would you get to the old ski bowl trails? I didn't think legally they could go up Rabbit Pond hill.

Something up the flanks of Burnt Ridge would make the connection with Burnt Ridge, but again leave the ski bowl trails out of the equation.

It must work the way it's drawn, but looking at the topo, I don't get it. I've only got the 13th lake quad, but I can't imagine anything down below that would make a difference.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they follow that map and Bridge over Roaring Brook . . . like the bridge at Whiteface that you see when riding the quad (or the culvert where Topridge crosses Straight Brook).

Looks like it's definitely not making it to the north chair (makes sense, I guess, since then it'd effectively bypass the new HSQ, making it even more irrelevant....).

Looks like there'll be a bridge. Is the terrain any good there? Or will it be a lot of flat traversing?

The ski bowl terrain looks ok - may be a little steeper than the lower mountain - showcase etc.

The connector doesn't look too thrilling. Connectors often aren't that great....the connectors at Killington come to mind. Northeastern(?) - a snooze. Also our beloved Cloud.

Uncas or Pine Knot are some of the best "connectors" I know. Too good to be considered connectors really.

Really though - that connector isn't about skiing, it's about REAL ESTATE.

I knew I would get you all going

I have skied the old Hudson Trail at the ski bowl for the last 7 years, and it is a lot of fun. The old trails followed the true fall lines of the hill, twisting and turning their way down. Very similar to Lower Steilhang.

C