Thread: Winter Tires?

Winter Tires?

So this is my first year driving back and forth to the mountain and I'm looking for a nice set of snow tires. I originally intended on getting studs, but my parentals say its overkill. So what are some good snowtires to look into getting? I'm going to be driving an AWD Hyundai Santa Fe

thanks for any help
    -Ted
    send it!

I would say stick with a good year but in reality if you are not a very aggressive driver you most likely wont need the snow tires but who knows on what kind of storms we get so dont quote me on that.

The Gnome's butt still bother's the hell out of me, but I'll share this any way.

According to my tire guy, running all season radials used to be an option until 2000. After that the directional tread to deal with rain took on the multiple, lateral groove design. Great dispersal, no bite.

If you plan to hang in this neck of the woods for any amount of time, I'd say the investment in a moderate bite snow tire is worth it. Don't go all Hakapullwhatever as it never gets that extreme around here.

Yes, you will get boned on a little gas mileage, but it's way worth it IMHO.

Studded Snow Tires

After recently attending a Defensive Drivers Class to get a reduced insurance rate, I learned that "all season tires" are not all season. Snow tires themselves reduce stopping and cornering sliding significantly (by about half) and the added studs reduce that by about one half again. The course recommends studded snows especially in the Northcountry. It is the safest means in the winter. I'll be switching to studs next season when I change in all 4 snows on my all wheel drive Subaru. Just be sure to remove them by the end of April (I think). That's the legal time limit for studded snows. The course also recommends that headlights be used all the time, day and night.

[quote="NPN"

According to my tire guy, running all season radials used to be an option until 2000. After that the directional tread to deal with rain took on the multiple, lateral groove design. Great dispersal, no bite.[/quote]

I'll second that. got new all seasons last summer that absolutely suck in the snow.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I use Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 on my CRV and I love 'em. Absolutely rip. I'd think size and performance would be comparable for the Santa Fe.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+DM-Z3

I've bought all my tires from Tire Rack--very easy to deal with and the prices (even with shipping) is usually better than what you get in the store. Biggest choice you have to make with winter tires is whether to get them with their own wheels or to pay to have them switched on/off your original wheels 2x year. Winter tires don't come with a treadlife guarantee and are effective only for a couple of seasons so you do need to think about it. Figure about $70 to have them switched each time--so $140/yr.

Decent snow tires do make a serious difference.