Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12/20... epic.

12/20... epic.

Started off poor, i got up too late, didnt get up till 8, and by the time i was out of the house it was almost 8:30. Got to the mtn at 9, on the hill by 9:15. First run down was pine knot to pinebrook glades. I was in heaven, pinebrook wasn't too chewed up yet and there was good cover. (little did i know it was only gonna get better) up straightbrook and down the old gondi line of double barrel, cut up a little but still found some fresh. headed back up SB and over to the dark side, poached under the summit lift line, musta been the 3rd person down it, awesome, hucked a few of the boulders for a nice fluffy landing, fresh up to my knees and spraying up my chest. down to the north and back down tawahas glades, also excellent though tracked up for sure... that's what i love about tawahas glades, they have somewhat less of a pitch so i can really feel confident letting them run in there, ripped it back to north chair and down twister glades. Twister was probably the most used of the glades but still had solid coverage, pumped to echo and down the gully to cedars... btw harv cedars from the gully is still not perfect...

and the win of the day must have been sagamore, they were just opening it as i was riding the lift up, hit that for some real knee deep heaven on earth... a little flat for that much powder so keeping speed meant going straight, but sagamore does have some nice lines as you get farther down, and one nice boulder on the right side toward the bottom to huck off...

a couple more runs on sagamore and it was totally tracked, on my last ride up BR i saw some guys heading into cirque, i couldnt resist. Cirque is sweet but they need to add some little bridges over the streams. I kept getting caught and had to scrape down my bases... the bottom of cirque is definitely the best, has a pretty solid pitch and eventually leads you out into the gully.

overall, one of my best days at gore. period.

today truely was epic. i had first runs on twister right in the morning, the top wasnt open yet came back up the lift and got clicked in and they just let ppl go on pineknot so i was behind a huge group of ppl. i get going down that and i know everyone is going to go straight pass pinebrook, which they all did. i followed on guy in pinebrook and we split and he took oneside of the glades i had the other all untracked, that run was amazing. then went up and straightlined hawkeye and got first tracks under the straightbrook. that was without a doubt the best run of the day, i was choking on snow on everyturn and it was incredible. after that went over to burntridge, which was a rediculous hike. i think instead of that interconnect lift or wtv is they want to do they should just put a rope tow or something becuase really that walk is not worth it. got up the lift and skied sagamore 3 times and it seemed like a nice trail. talked wih patrol about circue and he said it was still pretty sktchy in a few spots with the streams and i didnt wanna ruin my skis. later in the day went back up top and skied lower steilhang to lower newts, had first tracks on lower newts which was awesome as well. without a doubt the best day i have had at gore. monday should be amazing too with the storm tomorrow and then christmas eve/christmas day as well.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

sweet dudes, im uber jelous that i'm missing out. got into breck around 8:00 wed evening. 36 hr drive due to the ice storm.

Didn't ride today.. yet its 4degrees plus 15mph winds. Winds on the summit are gusting 50+

Strappin on the snowshoes in a minute to find some tree lines around the house.

POST SOME DAMN PICTURES
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Sounds like you had a great day MC.

It was killer.

Also you are right...especially on a powder day...Gully etc is a drag. I stand corrected. We chose to stay up top as long as we were finding untracked.

I got to Sagamore at the end of the day. It's a long demanding run...especially on teleys in the cutup.

Here's a TR on FTO if you are interested. I'll try to post more later.

definitely one of the best days in a while i rememberd. honestly id say its on par with the valentinnes day storm. not amount of snow, but amount of enjoyment.
    unfortunately i had to do the rail jam today, so i didnt get many runs in today. but what i did was definitely epic. 1st run we took chadi into the SB glades. decent first run but a little skied off. then we to double barrel, again a little skied off, but still really nice, continued the run into SB under the lift. rode up, poached darkside glades (i must have only missed MC by a few minutes), went down, competed till 1:30, (took first place /claim), went back up, poached lower steilhang into lower newtons. epic run. took it to the north quad, skied down, claimed my prized, and left.

overall a sickk day. i didnt get to check out burnt ridge, but we have school off for the next 2 weeks, and im hoping tomorrows storm will go late into the night, and add up quite a bit so i can get over there first thing and shreddd sagamore/cirque glades.
    send it!

Hey Keith

Keith...is this you?

Quote Originally Posted by fujative.
    definitely one of the best days in a while i rememberd. honestly id say its on par with the valentinnes day storm. not amount of snow, but amount of enjoyment.
    Fuje...I agree 100%. Major enjoyment factor.

hey harv just read your blog, sounds like you were in cirque the same time i was... you didnt happen to see a clown dressed in an olive colored jacket, tan pants and a red/black hat wiping down his skis every stream crossing? if you did, that was me.

edit: also, i was kinda blending into the group that went in right before me, one of which was Santa himself.

Honestly, I would have brought my camera today, but it would have slowed me down from enjoying this eastern powder dump. I cannot remember an eastern powder day like this from any other time in my life. If it wasn't for getting stuck behind that damn school bus on 28, I would have had another half hour of fresh powder. My buddy and I jumped on the gondola around 9:15ish. We hit up straightbrook for a few runs, Chatiemac was nice, and so were Straightbrook glades. When ski patrol dropped the ropes on the upper liftline portion below the quad, I dove into that waist deep powder. The entire day changed when we headed over to Burnt Ridge...

I think I speak for everyone when I say that Cedars sucked. I hope there is a better way to get to the bottom of the quad that I didn't find today. Anywho, got to the top of the BR quad, just as the ropes dropped on Sagamore, and hit it like 5 times until it got skied off a bit. UNBELIEVABLE. We were in anywhere from knee deep to waist deep powder. I had never skied anything like that in the east before. After that, we hit Tahawus glades, which stayed fresh until the mid-afternoon, and then hit straightbrook again.

Today was nothing short of epic. Today probably rated about an 7 on the Alta awesomeness scale, and it was better than some of the days I've had out West. I'VE NEVER SEEN A POWDER DAY IN THE EAST LIKE THIS BEFORE.
    Don't Get Dead

Way to post the stoke Altaboy.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCarving
    hey harv just read your blog, sounds like you were in cirque the same time i was... you didnt happen to see a clown dressed in an olive colored jacket, tan pants and a red/black hat wiping down his skis every stream crossing? if you did, that was me.

edit: also, i was kinda blending into the group that went in right before me, one of which was Santa himself.
    LOL!!! ^^^^

agree a most remarkable, almost other worldly day!!! unbelieveable!!! accented by the etheral light in the fog/cloud/gun mist(?) ! what the hell was that? esp. when the sun was out. it was kind like a dream sequence in a movie or vaseline on the camera lense. added even more of a dream - like quality on the already dreamy day. un-freegin-real!!! yea, it reminded me of out west.