Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Chair?

Summit Chair?

Jimmer had posted that he heard the summit chair was done for good.. granted, he heard it from a janitor, but regardless i'd like to know more. Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

I would be pretty upset if they were closing it down for good, granted it's not the most popular area, but it's truly an area where the die-hards go to get away from the crowds and hit some of the finest terrain on the mtn...

it hasnt been spinning in the past 3days. i hope its not done, its prolly the best area on the mountain.
    its not your altitude, but your attitude that will determine you altitude.

yeah i was kind of wondering why they were making everyone go down to the north chair, but now it all makes sense... maybe thats what they're going to do from now on... good lord i hope not, that means to take 2 runs on the dark side you need to go down to north, up north, down to gondi, up gondi, down to straighbrook, up straightbrook and finally down the trail of your choice..........

ridiculous. who is planning this!?

Re: Summit Chair?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCarving
    Jimmer had posted that he heard the summit chair was done for good.. granted, he heard it from a janitor, but regardless i'd like to know more. Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

I would be pretty upset if they were closing it down for good, granted it's not the most popular area, but it's truly an area where the die-hards go to get away from the crowds and hit some of the finest terrain on the mtn...
    I heard that some cable that helped offset some tension on the lift broke. I could be wrong.
    Don't Get Dead

the janitor thing was kind of a joke,kind of a thing we say,when you really want to know whats going on-ask the janitor,allthough ed did say that,im not gonna stick to it.BUT did talk to a couple of lift maintence guys and there IS DEFENATLY something up with the lift,weather it will be fixed,just gonna have to wait and see.i wood love to see it up and running,theres some mity fine terrain over there...and with this new br thing there going to leave something out of the mix.they werent even running the north side 2day,nor the top ridge chair,thats like a quarter of the hill shut down,whats up with that.

I'd pay $10 to park if they use the money to fix the summit chair.

That chair is the soul of the mountain.

hahahaha harv... we make so many compromises back and forth on this board.. no wonder nobody takes us seriously........

but i do agree with you, i'd pay 10 bucks to park if they guaranteed they were gonna put it to fixing the summit.

jimmer, i cant believe this.. i mean, i understand that the economy is bad, but they did raise prices again this year... i wanna at least get as much of the mtn as i can... its kind of part of the deal... i give gore money for a pass... and they subsequently give me access to everything that is safe for skiing.... i think the north and topridge are still safe for skiing based on what i experienced this weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer
    .........they werent even running the north side 2day,nor the top ridge chair,thats like a quarter of the hill shut down,whats up with that.
    I'll throw this out for the Gore management types that pay any attention to these boards. Granted, I don't ski Gore often, but I'd like to more. However, it is exactly this type of operational management that really keeps me from throwing more of my days and dollars Gore's way. The High Peaks area has some of the best terrain on the mountain. Having to ride three lifts or do some hiking out to take a run is not what you expect for even a midweek lift ticket. And that is assuming the North Quad is open. If it isn't you have to break rules, duck ropes, and hike out to ski terrain that is safe and skiable, but for lift access and patrol. This is dangerous for several reasons, but Gore has to know that people will do it. Perhaps management feels that they offer a cheaper midweek ticket, and that justifies them providing less of the mountain to midweek skiers. Sorry to say, for most people that logic just doesn't fly. First, Gore isn't the only mountain that offers a cheaper midweek ticket. Sure, while I'd expect less lifts to turn midweek, that usually means operating fewer lifts that provide access to the same terrain.....not shutting down lifts that close off parts of the mountain. Secondly, from an economic standpoint, for skiers whose days are limited, saving $9 on a day ticket is not going to outweigh getting a full mountain experience, and those people will take their midweek dollars elsewhere. In the end it's all about operational savings versus lost revenue.......and apparently Gore figures midweek that they save more in operational costs (fuel, lift attendants) than the revenue they lose (skiers going elsewhere because the whole mountain isn't open). I wonder how fully they have vetted those numbers, and if they have considered the implications their decisions might have outside of midweek operations....afterall, it isn't just daytrippers who are affected by the midweek operational mo.

Just my $.02, FWIW. Sorry to hear they are having a problem with High Peaks. I hope they can get it fixed so at least weekend skiers have the access to that terrain they deserve for their $70.

I've been raving mad all week to any of my friends who would listen about the chair not turning. That area is my favorite - I love the chair, the people the ski that area, the "local" feel of it. After all the snow I was sure it would be turning and I was furious when it wasn't all week. That chair is vital to having a really good day and being able to get away from the crowds or finding more of a reason to stay up top for more than a run or three on Chati/Hawkeye area. God damn I hope they get it working.

P.S. SKIdds said it wonderfully. I have six weeks off from school and I will probably only ski 4 weekend days total - all I do is ski midweek. Closing a lift because you can ride another one to access the same terrain is one thing, but closing a lift (or as he said, getting to it takes two or three lifts, granted a vital one is open too) and totally shutting down a section of the mountain is just bad news.