Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breck

Let us live vicariously through you. Full A Basin trip report, not just pics/vid. What did you ski? How were the conditions?

When I went it was a couple years before Montezuma Bowl opened. I'd love to get back there now that the backside is officially part of the resort. The entire mountain is great, but my brother and I had the most fun off the Pallavicini Lift, and hoofing it out the North Pole Gate on the East Wall (we were there in April). The views from the summit, up above Loveland Pass and the Continental Divide, are truely amazing. Coming in from Denver it's quite a drive up over the pass as well.

Since it's part of your pass I assume you'll hit Keystone at some point? Looks to have some interesting terrain, especially in The Outback.

Abay

Sunday:

Didn't get to the mtn until about 10:30. Awesome lodge/parking. There doesn't seem to be a lot of parking there, which I think is a GREAT thing. The whole mtn has a Northside vibe combined with whiteface attitude. Old school lodge/ticket window/learning center/lifts.

Went straight up and over to the Montezuma bowls. Hiked up about halfway across the ridge in 50+ winds (guess) ((total whiteout at times))

Dropped in, about 10 ft past the cornice it cleared up because it was obviously out of the blowing snow. I would say 4-5" of new snow on top of either tracked out, or avy debris. Was good enough to rip some large turns, especially once you got out of the chutes into the open bowl. Took about 6 runs, trying out each shoot that was open. Hit a few rocks, but for the most part the were covered. No bad shots. It was fun and pretty steep. Had a friend fly in for the weekend and he said it was the first time he was 'a little scared'

We only skiied one run on the front of the mountain on our way back to the lodge. It was a bad wind with low temps so once we were beat from the bowls we called it a day around... 1:30?

Here are some pics, Most from the first lift ride up (the front of the mountain; not zuma)

Here are some pics, most are from the lift ride up the front of the mountain.

And some bragging pics from Breck on Sat

Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things