1 4.76%
  • Double Barrel

9 42.86%
  • Cirque Glades

1 4.76%
  • Lower Steilhang

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nature made the mountain. No fault there.

If there is fault...it was whomever chose Gore for skiing in the first place

But skiing was free heeled with cable bindings at the beginning. And the first lift service was the east side where the ADK Express is now. No skating there. Its getting between areas - so does that mean we are against all the expansion?

I believe that in the beginning they were looking at Hoffman and Gore as possibilities. The took a full season and made snow measurements comparing the totals from specific storms and Gore won out.

I don't mind the skating, but then my heels are free. I admit the summit haul is a bit of a trudge. As Matt has said before, it would help if the summit chair dropped you at the top of rumor or cloud.

If you are interested in reading some of the history of Gore Mountain, go out and get the book "Winter Sports" by Norman Dibelius. This book was published on behalf of the Schenectady Winter Sports Club who started the original Ski Trains in 1934 first from Schenectady to North Creek and then expaned to NYC to North Creek in 1936. When scouting out their choices of where to develop a ski area, they narrowed it down to two....Gore or Mt. Snow. They chose Gore since it already had railroad access and they would take a bus up the back road from North Creek (I believe through the former Highwinds X country ski center) to Gore.

It is a very interesting read. It also talks about the early ski History of the Schenectady Winter Sports Club and some of the stories about what they did in the lift lines at Sugarbush, Stowe which are hilarious. Tales of skiing Tuckerman's ravine are also funny as well. Matt

Harvey, we want to have our cake and eat it, too!

I agree with you. Gore does have it's flat areas, but if that is what it takes to be able to access the varied terrain on a mountain with Gore's topography, so be it. Perhaps a trail here or there could have been cut better, but on the whole the traverses and flat areas are just a necessary inconvenience.

Matt...sounds like a great book. I tried to find it on Amazon but no go. If you have a link, would be great if you'd post it.

I heard the thing about Hoffman Mtn from a Skipatrol. Never heard about Mt Snow. Is that the Mtn in So VT?

The ski and ride did go up Bartons Road:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-...td4993700.html

Talk about skating...some of those trails required herringbone.
    Last edited by Harvey44; 01-06-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: busted url

Harvey...I'll get back to you. The book was published by the Schenectady Wintersports Club and I will find out this week how to order it if you (or anyone else) is interested. It is a very enjoyable and entertaining read. Matt

[quote="Harvey44"]Never heard about Mt Snow. Is that the Mtn in So VT?[/quote

Well, probably Snow Mountain is the one in question. it's in the Gore area (N/NW?) and i believe i read somewhere that Snow Mountain is the tallest mountain in the southern ADK's.

Too bad, Snow Mountain would have been a mythical name for a ski area.

Wonder if it's name denotes any snow anomoly.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Sounds like we may be talking about Snowy on the western shore of Indian Lake.

Snowy would have been a very cool choice...it has a higher summit (3900?), I think it has slides, and does get more lake effect even though its not that much closer to the lake.

I think it's the highest summit in the southern adks.

The 2 choices were Gore, and Snow Mt., which is the main peak on Blue Ridge. Blue Ridge is located in the towns of Schroon , and North Hudson. You can easily see it driving along I-87 through the Schroon Lake area. At the time the decision was made, I-87 did not exist, and Rt 9 was the only "corridor" type road.

The original plan fro Gore entailed 9 peaks. When the APA was spawned in 1973, they put the kybosh on the majority of the total plan.

C

Wow. Do you know which 9? Pete Gay was probably one...

Is Snow Mtn near Hoffman?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Wow. Do you know which 9? Pete Gay was probably one...

Is Snow Mtn near Hoffman?
    Yup. Yup. And, yup.

C