Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's Ski

Yesterday's Ski

Well I don't see a TR from yesterday so here goes...

It wasn't half bad.

Started out the morning with ski patrol opening Cirque Glade. My first time over to Burnt Ridge (since there was a lift there anyway ). Cirque is interesting to say the least. Narrower than I expected, but I'm sure it will widen as time goes on. There was also a couple of spurs I didn't do. I have to say the last set glades before exiting is the longest, steepest, marked hardwood glades on Gore. It's fairly impressive to get to the bottom and look back up through them. Quite nice. A quick run down corduroy Echo and out. Then to the Cave glades, still with good cover, Rumor had big soft bumps, punctuated with a few rocks and ledges to keep you honest. Straight Brook Glades still had plenty of pow on the sides. Report from GF was that Hawkeye was the best she'd ever seen with No hard spots at all. Newton's were tracked up but not tracked out. Mine shaft were well covered. Hullabaloo was in great shape; cut up pow keeps you on your toes. Upper Darby kicked my A$$ as always. A little bony for sure. If I wasn't so protective of my skis I'd do so much better. Darby woods were next and surprisingly not tracked out either. Next was Lower Steilhang to the glades to the right after the headwall. Wish they'd learn to make snow on that headwall. Whales are ok only where they can be groomed later. The glade was almost untracked. By this point the legs were wobbly so down to the Saddle with the intention of eating and going back to Lift 6 for more Darkside fun. As usual after stopping we didn't have the gas to go back up. Decided to try out Otter slide Glades and much to our delight it was great. Hadn't received much traffic so we lapped that off the Sunway double including a poach between Sunway and Ward Hill. saw someone poaching skiers right of Little dipper and that looked sweet too.

In exposed areas there was some wind pack but for the most part the mt was pretty much as good as it gets w/ 10-12" of fresh.

Was up yesterday on tele gear too. Spent a good part of the morning on the BR quad, in Cirque Glade and also the Sag Glade. I really like the Cirque Glade - hadn't been in there since right before Christmas. That last steep pitch is impressive indeed, although it seems to get scaped down pretty quick. It was my first time in the Sag Glades and although they are short and relatively easy (kinda like Tahawus Glade) found it very enjoyable -- plenty of lines to be had as it didn't seem to be getting much traffic at all. Also love that ungroomed nat snow on Sagamore, I wish they'd keep more of the mountain like that. Only problem with Sagamore is that a couple laps on that really burns the quads up (at least on tele gear)! I think the "silver lining" to the Cedars approach to the BR Quad is that it keeps the traffic down, esp the snowboarders (nothing against them).
    Spent the rest of the day up top and that was great too, esp enjoyed the Cave glade and the Newtons. The stuff out past Chati glades was very nice - tracked up but not tracked out even in mid afternoon. Found a very enjoyable pitch by following tracks from the top of the Cave glade that led into the Pine Brook glade. I thought it was gonna bring me back into the Cave glade but obviously it angled a bit more to skier's left than that.
    When the woods are good, that's all I need so I never even hit Rumor Lies Hawk or Chati (except for the top half down to the glades). They'll still be there for another day.
    At the end of the day I followed Twister down to the Twister Glades and found them very enjoyable. Skied up pretty well but not scraped or boney. It's just a blast smearing tele turns through those soft bumps and letting it rip. Very user-friendly glade that seems to stand up to traffic well as long as there's enough base (like now).
    I hope the second half of the winter is as good as the first half has been.

definitely a fun day. and the my buddies and i chose to ski the mountain, we got lots of freshies for the first.. hour and a half probably.
    send it!

Was back at the mtn Sunday and I noticed quite a few tracks from the top of Echo leading along the base of the cliffs and into the Cirque Glade. No drop involved at that point leaving Echo. It looks like it could become an easy alternative approach into the Cirque Glade but I hope that patrol keeps that roped or fenced and doesn't turn it into an official signed entrance so as not to invite any more traffic into the Cirque. Keep the riffraff out and it's a safety for ski pat issue as well as the last thing you want is to sucker a beg-int into 1600' vert of off-piste with the most challenging segment almost at the bottom.
    BTW, nugget -- not sure I know that one, can you give a hint?

Haha, no hints, those trails are busy enough without posting locations all over the internet. A lot of people will show you stuff if you see 'em on the mountain.

It's so weird that on powder days at Gore, the woods get tracked up even before the trails do.

It's like the exact opposite of every other mountain in the world.

hah i know matt, people will ask me how the trails were and i can hardly provide an answer, i spend most of my day in the woods when it's nice....

I think we just get bored with the trails, and alot of the trails don't have enough pitch to fully enjoy on a powder day, end up going too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCarving
    hah i know matt, people will ask me how the trails were and i can hardly provide an answer, i spend most of my day in the woods when it's nice....

I think we just get bored with the trails, and alot of the trails don't have enough pitch to fully enjoy on a powder day, end up going too slow.
    i definitely hear ya on that one.
    send it!

Keep Quiet

You all need to calm down about naming all of the unmarked trails!!!!! This is how you get all the people who dont belong in there and ruin it for the ones that work hard to keep them quiet.

Re: Keep Quiet

Quote Originally Posted by B SMACKER
    You all need to calm down about naming all of the unmarked trails!!!!! This is how you get all the people who dont belong in there and ruin it for the ones that work hard to keep them quiet.
    the people who don't belong in there? how do you determine that? do you own that land? last i checked it was a public mtn.

the ones who work hard to keep them quiet? oh, the selfish people.

Gore could hardly be described as a crowded mtn. i was there yesterday. it was a freegin ghost town.

the people who always whine on here about others or mock the beginners/intermediates who aren't extreme skiers cuz they don't ski rumor or the woods or have trouble getting their kids across cedars, need to keep in mind that the mtn would not be open if it weren't for these patrons. they also help keep the price of a season pass reasonable. if we don't have enough skiers, next year's pass will be $1000.00+
    incoming .................DUCK !

while i'm at it, i know season pass sales are up, but does it seem to anyone else that the number of skiers at Gore seems to be down this year? i have yet to see the access road parked with many cars yet, usually it has been by now. the new parking lot F just opened so i'm not sure it's why the access road hasn't been full. anyone see the access road parked way down yet?
    incoming .................DUCK !