Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Great Whiteface Photos

CUskibum PMed me with this idea. Post a pic or pics you think are great shots from WF taken this year. I have to admit I've been a slacker when it comes to taking pictures this season, but I'm going to try to pick up the pace the 2nd half of the season. Anyway I think this pic I took of TJF a couple of weeks ago came out great. Post yours or anyones you can find in this thread.

I hope others participte, this could be a great thread.

The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

YUP!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67

So nice you showed it twice.

i turned up the volume and the audio was " Woo Hoo " !
    incoming .................DUCK !

I'm sorry that I haven't had any time to upload photos yet this week. I've had a lot of labwork due, along with 2 exams tomorrow. This was my best picture from last weekend. Its from the top of the Wilmington trail. I needed a new background for my computer, and this certainly does the trick. I'll upload a couple others to my album in the gallery.
    Don't Get Dead

Quote Originally Posted by CUskibum

I'm sorry that I haven't had any time to upload photos yet this week. I've had a lot of labwork due, along with 2 exams tomorrow. This was my best picture from last weekend. Its from the top of the Wilmington trail. I needed a new background for my computer, and this certainly does the trick. I'll upload a couple others to my album in the gallery.
    Wow, luvin' that.

Lookout completely adds to the already tricked out views that makes skiing Whiteface so amazing.

We are blessed!

great pic, Cu. and good idea. hope you don't mind, but i now have it as my background too.

NPN - blessed...yes truly blessed! you are so right ! i've always thought that about Face. Since your post, i got to thinking about just how true that is.

an absolutely great mtn. Face has more vert. than even alot of mtns out west!

the passes are cheap compared to other big mtns here. isn't there a Face only pass that sells for $300-$400 in the spring? even at $700 for a Face/Gore pass bought in the summer it's a deal. and you get two mtns.

the vert at Face is all skiable at once, a huge plus! don't know many others that can claim that. kmart has good vert, but it's all in steps. if you wanna experience all kmart's vert you got to schlepp around and then on the bottom part you almost need a team of sled dogs to get you down. the run is a long waste of time. not at Face. just point them babies south and let 'em rip! what a ride!

lifts, lifts and more lifts. again these are ten times better that the slow ones at kmart. who wants to stand in line for 30 minutes just to ride a slow lift and then ski the small vert offered by that lift? at Face you ski right up to a lift, it whisks you to the top and you got a great hill to ski down - without all the criss cross trails that kmart has. they almost need traffic lights at their endless criss cross intersections.

the mtn. is almost never truly crowded. oh sure, once in awhile it's semi crowded, and we whine about it cuz we're spoiled, but most of the time it's ski right up and hop right on a lift, which vastly increases your on the snow time. it's been awhile since i've been there mid-week, but it used to be even the gondi was ski right up, hop on and then it takes you longer to ski straight down than it does to get back up top. wonderful. not many can claim that! at 2500 ft. that gondi alone got more vert than most hills around here and even some out west.

Face is the absolute best place to teach someone to ski! chair lifts on the bunny slopes? unreal. who else has that? what a great advantage for newbies. here's why. newbies,esp.women and kids, rarely have the leg endurance needed to learn to ski AND ride a poma or rope tow. they usually get tired out quickly by standing on those lifts, makin the day short, the $70 lift ticket + rental fees way steep, prohibitive. it takes them many more days to learn cuz they simply cannot get enough time on the snow. newbies that do perserve enough to move up the mtn are then faced with the obstacle of learning to ride a chair, an intimidating, crash causing hurdle for some. not at Face. they get to learn to ski and learn to ride a chair at the same time! one that's easy for them and resting and you get to talk/visit together on the way up, thus having more fun. there's 3 chairs on bunny slopes at Face and that increases their fun through variety. it's so much less work, less pain, less struggleing for them and it's much more safe. absolutely perfect.

the views on most mtns are good. at Face they rock, world class. the beauty of God's handy work is a major aspect of skiing. the aura of being on an Olympic mtn is real,way cool and inspirational. it always makes me feel like i'm in the Alps and skiing down to an alpine village with lots of choices and fun on the way down.

the slides. how many local areas have something like that? not many. what a playground.

the parks. many parks and plenty of elements. some of the elements i've seen at Face just make me say wow! there's also itty-bitty stuff for newbies.

ski jump complex, storied Olympic ice, bobsled/skeleton/luge. how many winter enthusiasts have the oppurtunity to ride a bobsled? or watch world class competition in these events? very, very few.

sometimes when i ride the gondi at Gore i meet out of the area people who notice i'm local and they ask me what else is in the area that's cool. PLACID. you got to go experience Face! a skier's dream. i was on the Gore gondi recently w/ a group of ski instructors. as we chatted, it became clear they don't go to and some had never been to Face. "you got a world class mtn just up the road included on your pass........and you don't go there?". un freekin real. OH WELL.

now we got lookout mtn too,. a great ski addition w/ more awesome views and one secluded blue/black trail that's loooong.

lake placid is frequently voted a most quaint town in America, very charming. ice skating on mirror lake in the shadow of the "miracle on ice" Olympic venue is really neat. when we skated there, there were several hot and heavy hockey matches playing out in the lake that added to the aura as the sun set over the mtns. plowed paths on the lake made for easy skating. you can ride dogsleds there and ride that slide thing. fun!

cross country skiing on the Olympic trails is only topped by the cross country trails at the ADK loj at Heart Lake at the very heart of the high peaks. beautiful.

Mirror Lake inn is rated world class. there's many other top notch places to stay in the area. i haven't sampled the apres ski, but i hear there's cool bars and resturants. i also see alotta of Hotties there (a plus!), esp. in the summer, swimming at Mirror lake, which is crystal clear. it's like the water in a swimming pool, sans chlorine. don't skip swimming in the Bouquet River at Split Rock Falls either. a true gem. turn right at malfunction junction, parking lot is a short way on the right. absolutely stay outta the upper falls! stick to the very large lower pool into which the water merely cascades. another, more secret gem on the Bouquet is straight thru malfunction junction, go two bridges, park on right. the short trail on the left leads to an emerald pool that just radiates and has many great jumps off the stream side rocks! both are crystal clear but the water temp is cool in early season.

it's no wonder Whiteface is frequently voted the best in the east.

i know this is a long post, but the area deserves it. 'sides i'm stuck at home as there's only a half day of school. the next few days and the rest of the season i'm gonna hit it hard.

Nice post Snowballs.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.