Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Lookout Take

So I’m skiing with Dustblaster on Saturday when they lift the windhold on Lookout so up we go. The snow is plentiful and the bumps are soft, the best conditions I’ve skied it yet.

On our way back up to do it again, Dustblaster commits on all the fallen or stationary skiers we had to ski around. Lookout Below attracts skiers who don’t really have the skill set for it like a magnet. You can see it from many vantage points from it’s top to bottom.

I get it, people want to say they’ve skied it and that’s understandable.

I’ve heard a few people say they wished it were groomed. Besides taking away the technical aspect and some of the character of the trail, think of the carriage it would cause. Imagine a blue skier losing control, or missing a turn flying down it? I’m thinking it wouldn’t be pretty.

Those bumps make people slow down. It may cause some to fall more, but at least they can get up and ski away. Bumps on that trail keep people safer.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

I agree that it's a plus, safety-wise, to not groom the trail, but, from a purely emotional standpoint, I think it kicks major a** that WF seems to be letting the trail bump up/ski naturally. There are enough groomed runs on the mountain.

The whole new lift and trail keeps inches it way up on my list everytime I sky that side. W trail is a pretty cool trail.

Lookout below has not seen its best days yet. I would think it needs to stay bumped up. If the bumps were not there it would be a freefall into the woods or to the bottom. Those bumps act as stoppers for the people that fall. They aslo make people keep there speed in check. OMG could you imaging that a flat groomer. They would have to put skull and crossbones at the top of it. May be they shoul do that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    I agree that it's a plus, safety-wise, to not groom the trail, but, from a purely emotional standpoint, I think it kicks major a** that WF seems to be letting the trail bump up/ski naturally. There are enough groomed runs on the mountain.
    For sure. I think Upper and Lower Mack, Lookout Below, Upper Cloudspin and Lower Skyward should never be groomed. I could add more, but lots of people like groomed trails, so I'll leave it at those 4. Of course Empire and Blazers can't be groomed thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    The whole new lift and trail keeps inches it way up on my list everytime I sky that side. W trail is a pretty cool trail.

Lookout below has not seen its best days yet. I would think it needs to stay bumped up. If the bumps were not there it would be a freefall into the woods or to the bottom. Those bumps act as stoppers for the people that fall. They aslo make people keep there speed in check. OMG could you imaging that a flat groomer. They would have to put skull and crossbones at the top of it. May be they shoul do that anyways.
    I was thinking that 2 Black Diamonds on top of it might make some blue skiers think twice about skiing it.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

are you guys sayin that cuz of lookout below's steepness? i haven't been up since the opening. any guess which is steeper hoyt's or lb?
    incoming .................DUCK !

There is no compariuson. LB is way steeper. Hoyts looks like a funner trail though

I dont think is horribly sttep, but the conditions on it havent been great. You go from man made ice snow whales to actual bumps. I think they should have groomed it at first then let it bump so it would do it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremeskiier
    I dont think is horribly sttep, but the conditions on it havent been great. You go from man made ice snow whales to actual bumps. I think they should have groomed it at first then let it bump so it would do it nicely.

I think it is one of the steeper trails I have been on. What would you consider a steep trail in the East?

I know the length of the pitch is much larger, but is it as steep as Cloudspin Niagara? How does LB compare to Rumor and Lies at Gore? The Front Four at Stowe are steep and always bumped up.

[/quote] I was thinking that 2 Black Diamonds on top of it might make some blue skiers think twice about skiing it.[/quote]

Then what would the slides be rated.......3 black diamonds? It's not that difficult of a trail. Sure it's narrow, steep and has some exposed pipe on skiers right on the top but it's not double black diamond hard.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.