Backcountry Daytrips

So i've been thinking the past year or so about doing a 'backcountry' 1 day ski hike in the Adirondacks. I would definitely like to go with a guide service since I have no experience doing this on my own and no idea where to go.

Is anyone aware of or can make a recommendation for a guide service? Also, any other tips or suggestions on what I should expect for terrain, additional equipment, endurance, etc..

Not sure if this would be the greatest year for it but one can dream!

BC Day Trip

Beaver Brook Outfitters in Weavertown has guides that can help you. Talk to Pete Burns there. Garnet Hill X/C Center used to lead one day Gore to Garnet Hill trips. Either one of these is a good starting spot. Yes this year will be fine for a Back Country trip it's only February, wait til you see the amount of snow by the end of March. Have Fun.

I would suggest just doing a hike that you have previously done during the summer that you recall having some decent pitch to it. Of course it will be a good idea to go with someone, but if you take it easy I think you would be fine.

My first 'backcountry' experience was hiking Hickory for turns. After you light the match all you can think about is snowshoeing/skinning all the sweet possible lines you see while driving. Snowshoes are an obvious must. Other than that just know your endurance, when you get tired turn around. Pretty common sense stuff.

Also being that there was just a big thaw you may want to use a pair of skis/board that you wouldn't mind dinging up.

Stop thinking and do it
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

A guide? So how much would you pay me to show you some stuff? Just kidding.

Here's some pics from Monday in the area to whet your appetite

Slide -

Woods-

To get an idea what you can expect, heres a eastern thread at telemarktips.com appropriately named:"East Coast 08-09: It Aint Ice If Theres No Fish Underneath"

Practice in inbound glades.
    Don't go alone.
    Go with enough stuff between the party so one could spend the night.
    Tell others where you are going and when you will be back.
    Don't do stupid things.

Have Fun!

im very anxious to step away from the resort hardpack ... im looking at all the pics in the telemark east coast thread there ... beautiful, just beautiful in the trees ... im thinking of trying a small hike off rt 28, near our camp in thendara, just to get a feel for hiking ... do snowshoes fit on snowboard boots?

Quote Originally Posted by snoeboarder
    do snowshoes fit on snowboard boots?
    Yep. My showshoes fit over my Kamik boots, and they're way bigger than snowboard boots.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Everybody has a different idea of what backcountry skiing is all about. It runs from using waxless skinny skis for a few hours beyond the trailhead, to winter camping with metal edged gear to using climbing skins to access slides.

Garnet Hill is running Gore to Garnet this weekend, although the price seems to have gone way up from previous years.

http://www.garnet-hill.com/

The GHL trip is significantly different (lower key) than the pics and link that Keith posted. It's less about earning turns and more about moving through the woods.

If you do try the the GHL trip, and like it...there is a lifetime of skiing to be done in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness. I've been skiing there for 20 years and have probably only covered half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    Everybody has a different idea of what backcountry skiing is all about. It runs from using waxless skinny skis for a few hours beyond the trailhead, to winter camping with metal edged gear to using climbing skins to access slides.
    So true, so true. The stuff I did as a kid that we called cross country skiing is now considered backcountry touring.

Based on the OP's user name, I made an assumption that he would be looking to earn his turns.

Wow! This is awesome. Thanks for the tips. Great pics ADK Keith, how much you want to be my guide? lol

I am definitely looking to 'earn my turns' on some alpine terrain. Should have been more specific. You guys have got me pumped to try to do this this season. Now I must make a plan.. a friend rents a place at Jay Peak every year, Big Jay might be a good first choice to try with someone who knows the terrain and I can get my feet wet.

here's more intrigue.

there's a " secret quasi Club" up here (adks) that exists for the sole purpose of it's members tearin up the adk backcountry in all it's glory. members are only rarely recruited by the club and it's kinda like fight club. the first rule is.................

people don't know about it and even if you actively seek it you'll rarely find out about it. with all the stuff i've read about the area, ive only see it barely mentioned once.

pardon moi.
    incoming .................DUCK !