Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Are Most of the Glades Closed Today?

The glades were in beautiful shape this past weekend. From the pics on Harvey's web site taken yesterday, they look even better.

WTF
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

maybe it's a Patrol issue. not enough Ski Patrollers?

since we can't always trust their web site, were any glades open today?
    incoming .................DUCK !

Once again I'll say this for the benefit of mountain management. This is why I decide against skiing Gore. Yesterday I thought today might be a good day for a trip up, but concern that lifts and terrain wouldn't be accessible made me drop the idea quickly. According to the conditions report some of the glades are open. However, terrain closed midweek because they either aren't turning lifts or don't have the staff to provide patrol is just unacceptable (to me at least).

I don't think there's a lot to it. It's midweek, so they're not turning BRQ or North Quad--so no Tawahus, Cirque, or Sagamore. Pine Brook and Cave were closed over the weekend--coverage is an issue. Kill Kare stinks so who cares, plus coverage is probably an issue. High Pines was closed over the weekend--coverage. Otter Slide was open this weekend, but deteriorating fast. Sunday traffic probably killed it. Twister was closed this weekend and for good reason--coverage for "advanced" skiers was ok but not for intermediates or lower, who like to ski that glade a lot.

So in my mind, only curious one is Chatty. That one must have gotten beaten to heck on Sunday. Coverage was pretty good on Saturday, especially Skier's left where the manmade blew in.

the glades were great today although most we skied were not open. i guess they're saving them for the weekend. the dark side was awesome. think snow !!!

i always thought, and this is based on no facts at all, that maybe they closed some of the glades on weekdays in an effort to save any remaining good conditions in them, in an effort to be able to advertise them for the bigger weekend crowds to generate more sales. the glades all seem to open for the weekends, I check the trail report almost daily. just a thought.

it does stink though that if i want to take off a weekday to ride gore, i'm probably going to have to duck ropes to hit glades.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyRider
    it does stink though that if i want to take off a weekday to ride gore, i'm probably going to have to duck ropes to hit glades.
    That's a good thing, you've got them all to yourself
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

ropes-what ropes

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer
    ropes-what ropes
    +1 find another way if possible, or if no one is looking...

Chatiemac Glades were in fine shape yesterday, so that's not why they were closed. I don't know why but I doubt the idea of "saving" terrain. Does anyone know if they really do this?

Like this week...there may be some NCP late week, so why wouldn't they open it up? I bet it's more of a patrol thing. Yesterday I only saw one patrol the whole day.

I never saw conditions improve so much with 2 inches of snow. The wind blew it all in between the bumps. Some very deep spots here and there.

I think it's interesting that they are closing the BRQ now. Love to hear what people think that means.

Hey SW thanks for reading.