Today, I don't get it!

Went to the Mt today to ski. WF is the only area that I know who posts that they have gotten 12" of snow in the last couple of days and there is just nothing there. The woods got 12" but the slopes didn't. Most of the trails are covered with polished sheets of ice. Upper Northway is closed it's so icy. I've been to other areas and gotten as little as 6" and the place is remarkably different. Ever turn you make has to be made with caution now at WF. Can someone explain?

that's a good question. i'll be interested in the answers. were all/most trails that way? mr. wind?
    incoming .................DUCK !

The wind never blows any thing at whiteface... it just SUCKS it off the mt.

Reasons for the observed difference:

1) Most of these powerful low pressure systems pass by just to the north making for locally higher winds (45- 50 mph) than to the south.
    2) Many of the slopes are at higher elevations compared to other areas in the northeast. Higher elevations generally equal higher winds
    3) An abundance of wide slopes.

It should be pointed out that areas of hardpack are being reported in Northern Vermont despite having receive six feet of snow in the past five days. Obviously, the conditions at Whiteface are MUCH worse not having that kind snowfall to act as a buffer from the wind.

Re: Today, I don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ullr
    Went to the Mt today to ski. WF is the only area that I know who posts that they have gotten 12" of snow in the last couple of days and there is just nothing there. The woods got 12" but the slopes didn't. Most of the trails are covered with polished sheets of ice. Upper Northway is closed it's so icy. I've been to other areas and gotten as little as 6" and the place is remarkably different. Ever turn you make has to be made with caution now at WF. Can someone explain?
    WIND.

I avoid skiing WF and many of the other high elevation areas after winds like these, unless I plan on skiing in the trees all day (not really possible at WF). Better of going to the smaller hills if you plan to stick to on-piste.

(post deleted)

ummm we are talking about Iceface right????

They did get lots of snow

We rode on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday morning we had probably 5-6 inches in LP. The mountain had received less (2-3 inches) which got skied/blown off some of the more wide open trails pretty early. There were nice pockets of snow up top on Parons and Skyward. Best snow of the day was found on Approach to upper/lower parkway. Those trails are a little narrower so the wind doesn't affect them as much. Skies cleared up by the end of the day and the views were amazing. Sunday woke up with 2 inches in LP and a hang over. Took all of our effort to get up to the mountain. They had received about 6-8 inches overnight and it continued to snow all day - probably another 4-6. Conditions were pretty amazing top to bottom. Best run of the day was the Wilmington trail. Skyward was nice - a little scratchy but lots of pockets. Approach to upper/lower mackenzie was also awesome.

Thought Monday would be great too, but everything was on wind hold.

So, to answer your question they did get a bunch of snow over the weekend. I suspect some of the narrow protected trails are still in good shape. The more exposed ones are probably bare with the wind.

Great weekend overall.