Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gore Death

Gore Death

Greg

Updated Information (FEB 21)

Sheriff's Office investigators attended the forensic examination conducted
    at the Glens Falls Hospital. At that time it was determined the cause of
    death resulted from blunt force trauma to the chest. The death has now been
    classified as accidental, and no criminal charges will be filed.

Officials from the NYS Department of Labor and the NY Olympic Regional
    Development Authority are continuing their inquiries into this accident.
    Greg

Ouch... accidents happen, probably more often on the highway than skiing- but its always pretty disturbing when things like this happen. When was the last time someone died at Gore prior to this?
    Its a dry 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Wa
    Ouch... accidents happen, probably more often on the highway than skiing- but its always pretty disturbing when things like this happen. When was the last time someone died at Gore prior to this?
    I seem to remember one in the past couple years. Very sad when these things happen, which unfortunately seems to be a couple times a season just in the east.
    -Kenny

Unfortunately the last death was on the same spot on Lies...

When Lies turns right about 1/2 way down the trail the fall line goes left. So anyone who slips on the headwall ends up being a rocket ship into the woods on skiers left...

I've had 2 friends go in there and get SERIOUSLY hurt, now 2 fatalities...It all could be prevented by just putting up 100' of safety fence on the left side of Lies, don't know why they haven't done it yet....

I saw the ski patrol attending to what looked like a serious accisent on Lies around that time on Monday. Both Rumor & Lies were in bad shape all day.

The victim was a co-worker with my friend's father..apparently a really nice guy. Best wishes to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by chez
    Unfortunately the last death was on the same spot on Lies...

When Lies turns right about 1/2 way down the trail the fall line goes left. So anyone who slips on the headwall ends up being a rocket ship into the woods on skiers left...

I've had 2 friends go in there and get SERIOUSLY hurt, now 2 fatalities...It all could be prevented by just putting up 100' of safety fence on the left side of Lies, don't know why they haven't done it yet....
    Not to be a dick, but maybe people who aren't experts shouldn't be skiing it. It's clearly marked on top as a diamond . . . in fact, it might even be a double diamond on the trail map. I don't know why people don't take that stuff seriously. When they see a diamond they think it's a good chance to "test themselves". What they should think is "wow, this trail might be above my ability level."

I assume you've been to Gore before. Why would you take your friends on the trail if it was beyond their ability? And don't tell me that they are actually good skiers, they just made a mistake. I've skied that trail hundreds of times and I've never even come close to the area you are talking about. If you know the mountain, you are just as responsible as your friends for their injuries.

I too have been on Lies many a time, my friends who were hurt there even more...You just don't know how icy the headwall is until you're on it...Ask Ski Patrol how many people they've pulled out of the woods on skiers left on Lies, they'll tell you...

Not to be a dick, but maybe people who aren't experts shouldn't be skiing it.

I assume you've been to Gore before. Why would you take your friends on the trail if it was beyond their ability? And don't tell me that they are actually good skiers, they just made a mistake. I've skied that trail hundreds of times and I've never even come close to the area you are talking about. If you know the mountain, you are just as responsible as your friends for their injuries.[/quote]

Too late for that. How do you know that the guy that died wasn't an expert skier? Expert skiers don't get hurt? Stuff happens. That guy could have been a great skier but just got a little careless and hit an icy path that maybe he didn't notice until it was too late. Don't assume things. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Sorry . . not buying it. If you don't think you can ski that trail on the worst, iciest day, then you should stay off of it. It's true, you don't know how icy the headwall is going to be until you get on it. If you don't think you can handle it, why would you risk life and limb in a feeble attempt to ski Lies?

And the comment wasn't really about the guy that died (you're right, I don't know the circumstances). The comment was about chez and his buddies. I'm pretty sure if two of them went into the woods and were "seriously injured" it's not Gore's fault, it's theirs.