Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What scares you at Whiteface?

(post deleted)

is this the same guy who just wrote..." we ski pretty aggressively, though. all black,not much stopping,nastiest ice,hardest bumps and tightest trees. still interested? " ?

who's gonna go first? where's all the no-dick skiers of Bore mtn comments? have at it guys!
    incoming .................DUCK !

(post deleted)

Re: What scares you at Whiteface?

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    My wife mentioned today that, without counting the Slides (which won't be open at all this spring, judging by the condition of them now), there isn't any terrain that is really scary at Whiteface. I agreed.

Gore's got skier's left Rumor Headwall, some stuff in some glades (especially some off the map stuff), and she mentioned Lower Steilhang headwall (which I don't find particularly tough), but at least that's a few things on the mountain that give you pause. Whiteface is weird like that. Everything is right out there for you, and what you see is what you get. I guess Empire would be the trail to point to, but I never had any problem skiing that before . . . Even the Glades at Whiteface are easier than Gore.

The only thing about Whiteface that I find tough is the ice and other skiers. Anyone else?
    Scary???? I'm not sure I understand this post ...

It seems to me that as soon as you're capable of linking turns and making a hockey stop on skis, there are very few ski trails that are actually "scary". As far as Rumor is concerned ... my eight year old skied it last weekend ... I don't think he was scared

Obviously any glade is going to be "scarier" than a cleared ski trail and no doubt, Gore certainly has a more diverse and more difficult selection of glades to choose from than Whiteface, the Slides being the obvious exception.

I still don't get your post ... was there really a point, or were you just trying provoke some reactions?

So you tryin to start a forum war here Matt? I don't want to get sucked into this but, "Skiers left on Rummor", that's all you Gore guys have to say. I like Rummor, it's a good trail, but it's not scary. The scariest thing about Gore for me is getting stuck on one of its many flat sections.

After a day of rain on Friday and temps in the single digits Friday night, where you expecting packed powder on Saturday?
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    I still don't get your post ... was there really a point, or were you just trying provoke some reactions?
    I’m thinkin the latter
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    My wife mentioned today that, without counting the Slides (which won't be open at all this spring, judging by the condition of them now), there isn't any terrain that is really scary at Whiteface. I agreed.

Gore's got skier's left Rumor Headwall, some stuff in some glades (especially some off the map stuff), and she mentioned Lower Steilhang headwall (which I don't find particularly tough), but at least that's a few things on the mountain that give you pause. Whiteface is weird like that. Everything is right out there for you, and what you see is what you get. I guess Empire would be the trail to point to, but I never had any problem skiing that before . . . Even the Glades at Whiteface are easier than Gore.

The only thing about Whiteface that I find tough is the ice and other skiers. Anyone else?

From the post it is obvious you do not know your way around the hill. If I went to gore and did not know where I am going I would be bored after 6 runs. Its just a matter of knowing hwere to go. Sat. the best option was to leave the hill and get out in the backcountry. WHich I am guessing would have been the best thing to do down at gore as well.

Ridiculous

That’s what that post was. You hate whiteface??? Fine stay at gore then and leave Whiteface for the people that truly appreciate good skiing.

Here’s what’s scary about gore…..

Waiting in long lines for 5 minute runs
    Small crappy gondi
    Flat spots all over the place
    “skiers” like matt.

I doubt even little gore had good conditions this past weekend.

Stay down there…no one will miss you at the face.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Sounds like Mattchuck thinks he belongs on the World Cup Circuit. Must be nice being such an amazing skier. Hopefully he shuts his big mouth while he's buzzing down the trail. I wouldn't want to see an errant snowball get jammed in there.

Now, now......let's all get along.

It does seem to me that Matt's post was an invitation to argue and compare, and those types of discussions are seldom worth while. His comment about ice (especially this past weekend) and other skiers just highligts limited knowledge of Whiteface. Given conditions everywhere this past weekend the comment about ice would apply anywhere. But his observations on terrain aren't completely off, although they are incomplete.

While my experience with Gore is limited compared to Whiteface, I did find Gore's terrain, overall, to be more challenging. It has WF matched for steeps. It has more and better glades. It allows much more terrain to become bumped up. A lot more rocky, quirky terrain for jumps, and launches, and airs. I wouldn't argue with him there. I would argue whether or not there is anything scary at either mountain, for an advanced skier. Nothing at either mountain is pucker you @ss steep, no fall zone, 'what they heck am I doing here?' kind of terrain, at least on the trail map. Hit the Slides, go off map at Gore....things get more interesting.

But as I said, Matt's comments are incomplete, although maybe he didn't intend to provide commentary on the mountain as a whole. While Gore may get the nod for outright difficulty, Whiteface gets the nod for mountain layout, sustained vertical, lifts, availabe terrain (midweek). Let's just leave it at, both mountains have their virtues........