Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gorons!

Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    While my experience with Gore is limited compared to Whiteface, I did find Gore's terrain, overall, to be more challenging. It has WF matched for steeps. It has more and better glades. It allows much more terrain to become bumped up. A lot more rocky, quirky terrain for jumps, and launches, and airs. I wouldn't argue with him there. I would argue whether or not there is anything scary at either mountain, for an advanced skier. Nothing at either mountain is pucker you @ss steep, no fall zone, 'what they heck am I doing here?' kind of terrain, at least on the trail map. Hit the Slides, go off map at Gore....things get more interesting.
    I'm not buying that Gore is harder than Whiteface. I've skied both and I'll gladly admit gore has better glades but that's all it's got over Whiteface. It's not a harder mountain to ski/ride. No way.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Re: What scares you at Whiteface?

(post deleted)

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    From the post it is obvious you do not know your way around the hill. If I went to gore and did not know where I am going I would be bored after 6 runs. Its just a matter of knowing hwere to go. Sat. the best option was to leave the hill and get out in the backcountry. WHich I am guessing would have been the best thing to do down at gore as well.
    Haha . . . This past Saturday? The best option was to go in the backcountry?!?!?!? You must be joking, right?

I think there's arguments to be had as to which mountain is "harder". The best answer (IMO) is that the mountains cater to a different skiing style. Whiteface to more of the racer, knife sharp edger; the snowboarder; and to the Park skier (some of the kids in the Big Air contest on Sunday were SICK). And Gore to the bump skier (although I wish there was more), tree skier, and hippy telemarker. This is not to say that there isn't some overlap (great racer style at Gore and great tree skiers - and especially great bumpers - at Whiteface), but just generally.

And yeah, "skier's left of Rumor" is a weak example, but where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in? I still haven't heard an answer . . . I was looking for SOMETHING this past weekend, and I couldn't find it. I agree that Gore probably wasn't much better this past weekend, but I wasn't asking the question about Gore, I was asking about Whiteface.

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    were you just trying provoke some reactions?
    Yes. But I still want to know the answer. Where is your spot?
    Lookout Below will give a lot of people pause before they dive in.......anything in the Slides as well. It all depends on conditions really.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    From the post it is obvious you do not know your way around the hill. If I went to gore and did not know where I am going I would be bored after 6 runs. Its just a matter of knowing hwere to go. Sat. the best option was to leave the hill and get out in the backcountry. WHich I am guessing would have been the best thing to do down at gore as well.
    Haha . . . This past Saturday? The best option was to go in the backcountry?!?!?!? You must be joking, right?

I think there's arguments to be had as to which mountain is "harder". The best answer (IMO) is that the mountains cater to a different skiing style. Whiteface to more of the racer, knife sharp edger; the snowboarder; and to the Park skier (some of the kids in the Big Air contest on Sunday were SICK). And Gore to the bump skier (although I wish there was more), tree skier, and hippy telemarker. This is not to say that there isn't some overlap (great racer style at Gore and great tree skiers - and especially great bumpers - at Whiteface), but just generally.

And yeah, "skier's left of Rumor" is a weak example, but where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in? I still haven't heard an answer . . . I was looking for SOMETHING this past weekend, and I couldn't find it. I agree that Gore probably wasn't much better this past weekend, but I wasn't asking the question about Gore, I was asking about Whiteface.

Quote Originally Posted by Face4Me
    were you just trying provoke some reactions?
    Yes. But I still want to know the answer. Where is your spot?
    Nope I was out there. You could go anywhere. If you went on the trails they were a mess but with the protecive layering on top you could go in any direction and move right along.

... where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in?
    Where is your spot?
    Nobody mentioned Blazer's Bluff. That one scary drop off.

As for ice, I do not care much for it, but I'd be scared to take my wife and kid and find the place icy as you reported.

Some people will piss and moan about anything. Sound like Matt stirring up SH** because he had a bad weekend. Someone pee in his cornflakes Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    While my experience with Gore is limited compared to Whiteface, I did find Gore's terrain, overall, to be more challenging. It has WF matched for steeps. It has more and better glades. It allows much more terrain to become bumped up. A lot more rocky, quirky terrain for jumps, and launches, and airs. I wouldn't argue with him there. I would argue whether or not there is anything scary at either mountain, for an advanced skier. Nothing at either mountain is pucker you @ss steep, no fall zone, 'what they heck am I doing here?' kind of terrain, at least on the trail map. Hit the Slides, go off map at Gore....things get more interesting.
    I'm not buying that Gore is harder than Whiteface. I've skied both and I'll gladly admit gore has better glades but that's all it's got over Whiteface. It's not a harder mountain to ski/ride. No way.
    We're talking a difference in degree of difficulty that is really splitting hairs. They both have difficult terrain, and Matt's observation about catering to different styles is true. Personally, I think Gore can claim to have slightly tougher terrain because glades, bumps and ledgy lift lines are generally harder to ski than groomed trails, regardless of how steep they are. What cranks Whitefaces difficulty is the sheer length of the steep sustained vertical. That will beat you up in a hurry. They are both tough mountains to ski, but for different reasons. Just my opinion, and there is nothing wrong with differing opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    ... where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in?
    Where is your spot?
    Nobody mentioned Blazer's Bluff. That one scary drop off.

As for ice, I do not care much for it, but I'd be scared to take my wife and kid and find the place icy as you reported.
    You're right Denis if Matt wants a SPOT then lets go with BB. I'm not talking about traversing across from the Lady's Tee, like the guy with his arms behind him in the background. I'm talking about jumping in straight from the top-center or skier's left. It's not long, but everybody stops at the top to take a look before they go in.

There are also places in the CS glades. In the Slides you better take a look in lots of places first or you may get hurt or worse.

The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

I don't think I've ever been at Whiteface on a day where BB is open. Just my luck, I guess.

I'd have to go with Upper Skyward. It may not have the greatest drop, but its steeper than a lot of other spots at Whiteface for a significantly longer distance.

Try lapping that at full speed for a couple hours without stopping. It will test what you're made of.
    Don't Get Dead