Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    you know whats really awesome about whiteface, is taking two chairs to the summit and then railing down the mountain just non stop for 3500+ ft of vertical, barely hitting a slow patch. I have yet to find that anywhere else on the East Coast, just such great flow top to bottom. you might not be scared, but your legs are gonna beg for mercy.

3500 might be a bit overstating it, but I've done it as a last run number of times. Scary fast!

U know what's scary

The super g course at da Face.
    Ask anyone who raced it today.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Re: What scares you at Whiteface?

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    My wife mentioned today that, without counting the Slides (which won't be open at all this spring, judging by the condition of them now), there isn't any terrain that is really scary at Whiteface. I agreed.

Gore's got skier's left Rumor Headwall, some stuff in some glades (especially some off the map stuff), and she mentioned Lower Steilhang headwall (which I don't find particularly tough), but at least that's a few things on the mountain that give you pause. Whiteface is weird like that. Everything is right out there for you, and what you see is what you get. I guess Empire would be the trail to point to, but I never had any problem skiing that before . . . Even the Glades at Whiteface are easier than Gore.

The only thing about Whiteface that I find tough is the ice and other skiers. Anyone else?
    I don't know how I missed this one. It's like the old forum, FUN! I have skied at every major ski are in the NE, grew up skiing at Gore, drive by it almost every week and still don't go there. When I make the trip on an occasional Friday(every 5 years cause that's how long it takes to forget the pain) by noon I ask myself what I'm doing there. IMO Whiteface is the best area in the NE when the conditions are good. No other trail beat upper Cloud. There is just something about a double fall-line that I love, great feeling. Kind of like surfing on a big wave if you've ever done that. The slides are unbeatable in the NE and compare to skiing in the West and Rockies. Where can you say that you've skied down a waterfall, NO--WHERE! I agree with HPD the only thing I fear at Gore is getting stuck on a flat spot, I don't go to a ski area to skate ski.

Re: What scares you at Whiteface?

(post deleted)

I thought of Paradise at MRG as well, but that is more of a huck or navigate a relative short waterfall in the woods situation (albeit a good size drop), as opposed to "skiing down a waterfall", if you know what I mean. On Paradise the waterfall is a very small part of a big glade, whereas a sizeable portion of Slide 1 IS the waterfall.

A bunch at Gore is similar to MRG. Drop a waterfall in the woods, but not quite the same as the Slides.

I never skied Waterfall at Stowe, but that idn't look to be much more than a huck either.

But you make a decent point.