Ski Bowl past weekend

My kid is a big fan of tubing at North Creek Ski Bowl and while at Gore we usually go tubing in the late afternoon.

Fireworks show was really good on Saturday, despite the rain.

On Sunday we woke up late, plus 1 hour time change so we were right on time for 11am Ski Bowl opening.

150" is not much but the halfpipe and few jumps were fun. "Lodge" was not too crowded either:

Later in the day, we went tubing. Great day altogether.

They almost certainly loosing money on the Ski Bowl. I wonder if it'll be operating next season.

I don't know if it's still in the works, but I thought that the new lift connecting the ski bowl and the BR Quad was going in this summer? If that goes in, then the Ski bowl will definitely be open next year.

I've been down there a couple of times. It's not bad, kind of fun for an hour or two. And I do like the yurt.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    I don't know if it's still in the works, but I thought that the new lift connecting the ski bowl and the BR Quad was going in this summer?
    Do you know if that plan is a done deal or might the state financial crisis may put a halt on it?

I have no insider knowledge at all.

I just thought that was the plan.

Update on the Ski Bowl lift

We were up this weekend and there was an article on the back page of the NC new enterprise. ORDA has the money and the lift has been ordered but get this - they have not yet committed to OPERATING it. Johnsburg has committed 8K from their bed tax revenue to help offset the additional operating expense, but ORDA has not said anything yet. The article said that the decision will be made at the next ORDA meeting in April.

I know that there are quite a few folks who think the connector lift is not a good idea. I personally think it will be great for North Creek and the businesses in town. It will be nice to avoid the weekend craziness at the mountain too. Hopefully it will be an easier traverse to the BR chair. If you are in favor of the lift let ORDA know. I doubt the associated development project is going to move very fast in this economy.

Re: Update on the Ski Bowl lift

Quote Originally Posted by Danzilla
    .. an article on the back page of the NC new enterprise
    http://www.denpubs.com/Articles-c-20...nect_Lift.html

well, it seems there's a divide between the two areas - one is Gore and the other is the Ski Bowl(?) in that....whose gonna operate the SB, a.k.a. pay the bills and where do patrons buy their lift tickets a.k.a are Gore passes/tickets good at the SB?

when they first opened the SB it was unsure if our Gore passes would be honored there. it seems they were honorerd out of concern to get the SB going.

if they are treated as seperate areas i doubt many will forego Gore to ski the SB on a regular basis.

to me, the town and ORDA have set up a situation where there's two adjacent competing ski areas. Gore's likely to win the popularity contest and the Ski Bowl will fold or be absorbed by Gore in future years.

i think the town of johnsburg fancied they'ld make money off of the Ski Bowl and now find themselves with an expensive ghosttown and a ski bowl village that's " a castle in the sky."

i said it before and i'll say it again. all these plans will not bring people to downtown northcreek as people are simply not gonna waste their ski day to walk over to town or be shuttled over to town and then walk around town in their ski boots. they'll SPEND THEIR DAY SKIING ON THE HILL and then MAYBE DRIVE to NC after done skiing, in about the same numbers as now.

the extra terrain of a thousand ft. vert may be fun if ORDA ever takes it over or Johnsburg continues to honor our passes. if ORDA doesn't finance the lift operation, does johnsburg have the money? won't that force them to sell their own tickets seperately?

WOULD THE SKI BOWL ABSORBTION INTO GORE RAISE OUR SEASON PASS RATES?

my guess is yes as i doubt it will draw many more people, but would increase costs. jmo.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Interconnect

The interconnect lift is still very much alive. The lift is on order and scheduled to arrive almost any day. At its April meeting, the ORDA board of directors will determine whether to release the required funds to complete the installation. This money is already in the budget, but frozen. They will also decide whether to allow the operating $$ required to run the new lift and make snow. They've come this far that many of us expect that they will fund the installation and the operation. They'll face tremendous political pressure from local business owners and elected leaders. It's not a done deal and those who support this expansion should make their voices heard. The ski bowl was never planned as a town ski area and the improvements competed to date are all intended for an expanded Gore. In my opinion, it is unlikely that the ski bowl, alone, would cause an increase in season pass rates. On the other hand we can certainly expect the usual annual price increase. The ski bowl and interconnect are just two pieces of the puzzle required to keep North Creek economically viable. Anyone who hasn't bothered making the left turn into North Creek should take a look. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Why the big rush to get home anyway?

Re: Interconnect

Quote Originally Posted by adkskier
    In my opinion, it is unlikely that the ski bowl, alone, would cause an increase in season pass rates.
    If not rates but maybe numbers sold:

I will be getting Gore/WF passes for me and my son for next year (I have not had a pass since 2003). Big part of my decision Gore's close proximity to tubing at Ski Bowl.

Yes but the season pass is not good for tubing.