From Dave Blow in the GF Post Star

There is a lot of enthusiasm oozing from e-mails received by Texas businessman William Van Pelt concerning the resurrection of Hickory Ski Center in Warrensburg.

Enthusiasm, but no real consensus.

Seven area residents wrote e-mails to the newest Hickory shareholder as of Tuesday saying they were excited at the prospect of the mountain’s rebirth.

One man felt keeping the old-school Poma lifts is the way to go, while another said he’s too old for Pomas and would like to see a chairlift installed.

Another suggested using T-bars, another form of surface lift, which Hickory has one of already on the lower hill.

And yet another suggested adding a "magic carpet" lift for beginners and to be used for tubing and "summer operations."

Some e-mailed just to say how psyched they were that this might actually happen and told stories of past visits the steep little mountain. And many ended with comments like "looking forward to seeing your further involvement in this project" and "let me know how I can help" and "thanks for your efforts in promoting pure old school skiing."

Regarding snowmaking, some said they loved the natural snow feel of Hickory, but they realize that in bad winters, no snowmaking could mean not opening — as happened in past years. At least a few mentioned that snowmaking almost seems like a must.

So what does Van Pelt think of the early responses?

Reached on Tuesday in Texas, he said he was happy with the enthusiasm from the e-mailers, including one who has already set up a Facebook group called "Hickory Hill."

"But I was a little bit surprised to get only seven responses," he said.

That said, Van Pelt added that he "appreciated those who commented and I welcome more comments."

He also shared with me another e-mail that came in on Wednesday from a supporter who vowed to be the first one in line when the mountain re-opens.

If you want to sound off about the future of Hickory, his e-mail again is skihickoryatmccltd.com.

Van Pelt said Hickory Board members will meet later this month to continue the planning process. When more details are known, I’ll be sure to clue you in.