Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News on Hickory

News on Hickory

From Dave Blow in the GF Post Star

There is a lot of enthusiasm oozing from e-mails received by Texas businessman William Van Pelt concerning the resurrection of Hickory Ski Center in Warrensburg.

Enthusiasm, but no real consensus.

Seven area residents wrote e-mails to the newest Hickory shareholder as of Tuesday saying they were excited at the prospect of the mountain’s rebirth.

One man felt keeping the old-school Poma lifts is the way to go, while another said he’s too old for Pomas and would like to see a chairlift installed.

Another suggested using T-bars, another form of surface lift, which Hickory has one of already on the lower hill.

And yet another suggested adding a "magic carpet" lift for beginners and to be used for tubing and "summer operations."

Some e-mailed just to say how psyched they were that this might actually happen and told stories of past visits the steep little mountain. And many ended with comments like "looking forward to seeing your further involvement in this project" and "let me know how I can help" and "thanks for your efforts in promoting pure old school skiing."

Regarding snowmaking, some said they loved the natural snow feel of Hickory, but they realize that in bad winters, no snowmaking could mean not opening — as happened in past years. At least a few mentioned that snowmaking almost seems like a must.

So what does Van Pelt think of the early responses?

Reached on Tuesday in Texas, he said he was happy with the enthusiasm from the e-mailers, including one who has already set up a Facebook group called "Hickory Hill."

"But I was a little bit surprised to get only seven responses," he said.

That said, Van Pelt added that he "appreciated those who commented and I welcome more comments."

He also shared with me another e-mail that came in on Wednesday from a supporter who vowed to be the first one in line when the mountain re-opens.

If you want to sound off about the future of Hickory, his e-mail again is skihickoryatmccltd.com.

Van Pelt said Hickory Board members will meet later this month to continue the planning process. When more details are known, I’ll be sure to clue you in.

I had no idea that they might reopen. If Big Tupper could reopen also it would be great for ADK skiing diversification.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

what's the e-mail- that one didn't seem to work
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

yea i tried that e-mail,i got nothing

It worked for me.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Hickory Ski Area

I found this update on a link through Monday's Albany Times Union.... it and the links in it provide a little more detail.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...r-hickory.html

open next year? wow! they got to add snow making though. the idea of going with just natural might be quaint, but it aint gonna cut it. MRG gets by cause it gets more snow than Hickory. i would think a bottom to top chair will be essential to as it would bring more customers.

you got to admit, when you drive by it and see those trails perched on the steeps, you want to go ski them.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    you got to admit, when you drive by it and see those trails perched on the steeps, you want to go ski them.
    I do have to admit it. I look down (River Street?) every time.

I'm gonna e-mail the man and see if he (and YOU) would be interested in a community work day(s) at Hickory Ski Center this summer. We could volunteer to do painting, clean up, building, repairs, whatever for the Hill to help get it open. We could get alot done for the Hick. I bet others would join in. It would be fun.

How many of you guys MIGHT be interested putting in a day or two?

AND if we had a working relationship with them, they'ld prolly let us go in there and cut glades open.

Think about it. There HAS to be some wicked cool tree skiing and rocks/cliffs to huck there. Here's a chance to lay out tree runs on some great, steep, virgin terrain. That is rare. Because it's a whole complete mtn, there will be one or two levels where the rock is exposed providing chutes and smaller cliffs.

Boundary to boundary skiing ? You Woodies have been wringing your mitts, relishing, salivating for more-more-more trees all winter. With the reputation Hickory has, this may be your Nirvana.

It would be a good thing to do. It may provide some wicked cool skiing. Hickory, done right could be a real " special niche " designed kinda hill. Matt, you should be drooling right about now.

I'm gonna write the man. Let's see a show of hands from those who are interested and would like to help to re-open Hickory this fall. Don't be slackin!

Hickory..... It's Hard !!!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Hickory

It can't hurt. A strong show of support and an eagerness to lend a hand might be the icing on the cake when it comes to decision time.