Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News on Hickory

I'd cut and chop and clear for a couple fall days. I'd like to just wander around and check the place out. I last skied there more then 30 years ago. I remember it being quiet, friendly and hard skiing. Post up on here more often about the ongoing plans, there are lots of folks liking the old place.

send it!

chair lift

Maybe Gore can donate the Topridge chair and get something a little faster.

tom

Re: chair lift

Quote Originally Posted by TomCat
    Maybe Gore can donate the Topridge chair and get something a little faster.

tom
    well, you kinda on to something....... If ORDA still doesn't want to fund the operation of the new ski bowl lift they bought................Maybe they'll get tired of owning an uninstalled lift and want to deal.

Jason has a very good point about decision time. that article said " open this year ". we could be that extra push, the 212th degree, to make it a happen.

hahaha Fuja. i'll set it up. let's see more volunteer's hands please.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Hickory

Count me in!

Maybe next season we'll have a Hickory section to the SKIADK forum. Let's hope so. I've never skied there, but would like to.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Maybe next season we'll have a Hickory section to the SKIADK forum. Let's hope so. I've never skied there, but would like to.
    Good idea! See, dat's why you da big cheese.

i emailed them. I'll let you know soon as i hear from them.

If he says we can help and this thing is a go maybe we could put up a Hickory section now. it would be very useful to the plan. coordinating, volunteering, sharing ideas, scheduling.

Hickory has what i've seen billed as the 6th " steepest drop -per- verticle rise " in the East. Sound good to anybody ?

I just got off the phone with him. T-bar only. First season there is only going to be 500 passes issued and those will be the only people allowed to ski.

Oh and don't worry about cutting glades, controlled burns are scheduled starting May 20
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Mostly about Magic Mountain, but Hickory gets a mention too.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=784831
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

well, it's been a week since i emailed the Hickory folks with our offer to help get Hickory open. no response so far.

i made it clear in the email's subject line that we offered free labor. hard to turn that down.

it surprises me they didn't respond. they got a lot of expense ahead to make it viable. they're gonna need a snowmaking system. Hickory averages less than half of the natural snowfall that Gore gets. by all reports the lifts are old and broken down. even if the lifts were in good shape, surface lifts won't cut it for most people.

needing a snowmaking system and a new chair lift, i wouldn't be ignoring free help to paint, repair, spruce up the joint, etc which i'm sure it sorely needs.

oh well. i want to thank those who spoke up and volunteered their help. thanks.