Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Slides

The Slides

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has heard any news regarding the potential opening of the slides?

Also, what's the scoop on the new snow, is it still falling?

The slides never open. I should not say that they usually open them for a day or two each season during mid week so they advertise them.

You can always hike up the toll road to get at the slides. there were some doing that a few weeks ago. i wouldnt try it now, there is a lot of yellow ice over there. best to wait til march for a few good storms and warmer weather. they usually do open up mid-week though, so the masses cant get into them. i heard this year they are going to require a beacon and shovel in order to get in, but maybe i am just confused. anyway keep your beacon and shovel handy and wait around in the parking lot every week day and maybe you will have lift serviced slides to ski on.

Either know a patroller or hope you go up the quad with a patroller who has seen you ski and thinks you can handle it. They sometimes sneak in for a quickie but often in these conditions regret it. We need a 3 foot snow fall to make them skiable. Then hope your the first one before it gets tracked up. It's been 3 years since I saw that. They want to require a beacon but that mean that someone will have to enforce it. It's too late if your already dead. The great lakes aren't frozen over yet so the possiblity of a few good dumps is there. The guys that came in off the toll road didn't have fun. I've been in the woods this year and it's not fun when a sapling catchs your ski and you go for a tumble.

If the conditions in The Slides are similar to the slides found throughout the High Peaks-- count me out! The North slides on Dix and Bennies Brook have been hairy this season, with inconsistent snowpack, exposed rock and lots of ice.

Slide one or two will probably open up for a day or two in March, midweek. Unannounced. You have a much better shot when we have a winter with more consistent temps and snowfall. Even then, skiing in there is limited due to avalanche danger. Best bet is in March, midweek.

I didnt go this past holiday weekend but I was there a few weekends ago and noticed the tracks coming from the road. I dont know how they made it down as there was easily a 150 stretch of boilerplate midway down. But all the power to them. Looks like itd be epic on a good spring day with soft snow, but that only occurs like once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    Looks like itd be epic on a good spring day with soft snow, but that only occurs like once a year.
    More like once every 5 years. I'm starting to think you have a better chance of getting hit by lighting than skiing the slides when they are officially open.

This might be a dumb question, but is the slides those patches of white (and yellow!) that you can see if you look off to the right from the summit quad?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchmac
    This might be a dumb question, but is the slides those patches of white (and yellow!) that you can see if you look off to the right from the summit quad?
    You got it. Think they're skiable this year?

Let's just say that following my own advice of "just ski straight thru the ice" might get you into a little trouble from what I saw of it the other day!!