Thread: the Eagle flies

the Eagle flies

we saw a Bald Eagle flying around on our way to the mtn yesterday. don't know if he's local or transient but it was cool.

has anybody ever see the A-10 thunderbolts do their low flying tree top manuveurs over the mtn? i've been lucky to see them do it twice. both times i was at the straight brook chair loading area, looking uphill. one A-10 would just crest the summit, then plunge down the straightbrook valley just like he was skiing the tree tops down to the valley and then bank turn and hug the mtn side, his buddy in close pursuit. incredibly awesome! you can't even hear them coming! when the first one topped the summit w/the aircraft's nose pointing up the belly of the aircraft was lit w/the sun and looked like a golden cross suddenly appearing on the mtn top. WHAT THE HECK?!!! then whoosh!!! they come charging down towards you,the trees shake violently as they surf down the mt. quick look back up and bingo there's another one.

it's so amazing the way they can fly just above the mtn hugging the terrain and suddenly appear outta nowhere then disappear just as quickly. makes you feel real vulnerable. the only thing you can hear, once you realize they're there, is the whine of the turbine as they power up.

i remember thinking " WOW!!! and i thought i was having fun. that looks way better!!! ". talk about rippin it!

this happened a couple years ago and also a couple of years before that. two times total.

has anybody else seen them? if you were skiing and not stopped you probably wouldn't even know they were there. that's how fast and silent it goes down.
    incoming .................DUCK !

A-10's

Snowballs... Thats pretty cool!!! Those planes are incredible!!!! I have not see them flying over Gore, but that would be awsome seeing them buzzing over the summit... I grew up in Lake George and saw them many times zooming over the lake at low altitude. I was fishing on the Chesapeake Bay last summer at the mouth of the Choptank River near Tilghman Is. on the Eastern Shore of MD. and had a pair of A-10's buzz me at about 50' off the water and less than 100 yds away... (NO JOKE)!!!! Talk about exciting!!!! They were probably out of Andrews AFB. Not quite as cool as seeing them hugging the Mtn's but still earth shaking!!!!

WOW!!! you were prolly like WTF, WHOLLY CRAP, OMG!!! Wild isn't it?. i would have loved to have been there. makes you feel really vulnerable. if they wanted you, yo a$$ is their's. no wonder so many iraqis just abandonded their vehicles in the first gulf war.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I agree, seeing a low pass like that makes you understand the fear factor and importance of aircraft in the ground support role.

This is one of my all time favorite low pass clips.... be sure to crank up the volume...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDWY...eature=related

Flyovers

This one's pretty good too!!!!!

How's the Mtn doin'???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVLvQY8R9Y

yeah we were roofing our house a few years ago and one came low over schroon lake, since we're kind of up on a hill it looked like he was headed straight for us, then he pulled up and over... one of the coolest things i've ever seen.