Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    from personal experience, "ski trains" work in europe 'cause most people don't drag boots and skis around. instead, the rent at the resort, which feature great, leading-edge equipment at cheap prices.

if you insist on bringing your own equipment, you're not going to take a train. period.

this is not to hate on the train proposal. trains can be quick, efficient and relaxing. it's just that i think we first need a culture change to accept train travel.
    Who, except for the person that ski's one week a year isn't going to be using there own equipment?

I would never take a train, but that's because I have a car. If I lived in NYC and had no car, then it'd be a different story. People pay $89 for bus trips from the city to VT including lift tickets (http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....ermont-by-bus/), so if they can get the price down around that level, then I can definitely see it being a viable option.

But I can't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    I would never take a train, but that's because I have a car. If I lived in NYC and had no car, then it'd be a different story. People pay $89 for bus trips from the city to VT including lift tickets (http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....ermont-by-bus/), so if they can get the price down around that level, then I can definitely see it being a viable option.

But I can't see that happening.
    there's your sign right there. the Snow Trains will NEVER EVER be able to match that price!!! not without subsidies. and mapquest says a bus can make the Gore trip in 4.3 hours vs what 6.5 + on a train. the bus drops you off at Slopeside, the train at NC so you gotta schleep yo stuff onto a shuttle for yet another ride and another .75 hour counting train unload/bus load/drive to Gore.

The Bus runs DO NOT cost the State one thin additional dime!!! and if there's no ski business, there's no millions lost to taxpayers or the Bus Co.'s- they simply do other trips. The Snow Trains look to be north of 40-50 million +++ before they even make one run. plus they'll never be able to stay operating. they're too slow, too expensive and there's no excess Gore skiers stranded in NYC.....if there were the Bus Companies would be cashing in by bringing them to Gore!!! when was the last time AMTRAK was profitable? they're almost always deeply in the red, even though they make some necessary runs, aka so people can get to work! there's no necessity in the snow trains that would compell any ridership.

***EDIT***
    another nail in the coffin is the fact that NC is the end-of-the-line. there are no points beyond that would provide supplementary passengers. unlike other ski trains that serve much, much large ski areas and points beyond, this rail line will have all the thru traffic of a dead end street. even if it arrives with a handful of skiers, it will make the return trip south empty! the long ride will vitually rule out day trips. who's gonna spend 13-14 hours on a train round trip AND ski all in the same day? it could park in NC all weekend waiting for the few skiers to return home but that's not gonna be profitable. the NC rail turntable marks the end of the line for a dead end idea.

The issues i pointed out are easily discoverable right from my living room. same w/the info Matt provided.

Don't these Clowns who support/think these projects up have any common knowledge, any common sense or do any unbiased basic research?

i am truly sorry. but this is UN-FREEKIN-REAL! UN-FREEKIN-REAL!

The geniuses hatching these projects have set the stage for some real financial fiascos. their house of cards is gonna collapse. the defecation is gonna strike the rotary oscillator and it's gonna fly on the NY taxpayers and the Gore/Face skiers. Don't be surprised if Front Street bails before it's over. Don't be surprised if Front Street never gets started.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by skimore
    Who, except for the person that ski's one week a year isn't going to be using there own equipment?

i paid approximately 25 euro/day for insured skis and poles, and the equipment i had was available at list price for about 800 euro. so, assuming you'd buy at list, i could have skied 32 days on high-end equipment and would have never worried about maintanence, loss, damage, etc.

but, skis usually last me at least 3 years, so it would be a pretty bad deal.

but, potential train customers from NYC probably don't ski 32 days a year, and they probably would place some value on not having the schlep their stuff around.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    mapquest says a bus can make the Gore trip in 4.3 hours vs what 6.5 + on a train. the bus drops you off at Slopeside, the train at NC so you gotta schleep yo stuff onto a shuttle for yet another ride and another .75 hour counting train unload/bus load/drive to Gore.

the length of the trip is a serious issue....they'd need to re-work a lot of the tracks to permit faster trains.

regarding your NC drop-off point, that won't be an issue once the interconnect gondola is up and running....

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    mapquest says a bus can make the Gore trip in 4.3 hours vs what 6.5 + on a train. the bus drops you off at Slopeside, the train at NC so you gotta schleep yo stuff onto a shuttle for yet another ride and another .75 hour counting train unload/bus load/drive to Gore.

the length of the trip is a serious issue....they'd need to re-work a lot of the tracks to permit faster trains.

regarding your NC drop-off point, that won't be an issue once the interconnect gondola is up and running....
    HEEEEEYYYY! what about the Teleporter?

"Beam this thing up Scotty!". lol

Look what i just found.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...l/14827114.txt

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...l/14831711.txt

the operators of the train don't want to run the length of the existing tracks unless the government guarantees their profits! after all the money spent so far and this is the dismal result? don't forget the trestle at Hadley was also rebuilt, a mega cost seldom listed. Brand new $2,500,000 platforms at Hadley and Thurman are scheduled to open.......JUNE 1!!! BUT the trains won't run that far cuz it's not profitable!!! hehehe. WAIT, there's more. the tracks are badly damaged and the Government might not rebuild them. comments like....it maybe time to rethink the business plan......why rebuild it now?.......maybe the tracks should be tore up and a bike path installed....are starting to come out of Government officials - even from ones who were strong advocates of this project!

PUDDLES....are you reading this?

There's still more very substantial costs to be paid to complete the rail line for the snow trains.

now the Government is on the "Horns of a Dilemna". they have to chose between perpetually throwing good money after bad money. even if they chose to waste more money on the train, it will never be profitable.

this is all just ACT ONE. ACT TWO will find the Government on the "Horns of a Dilemna" with the Ski Bowl. Same Players, same Brain Trust, same results.

Just yesterday, i wrote.......

The geniuses hatching these projects have set the stage for some real financial fiascos. their house of cards is gonna collapse. the defecation is gonna strike the rotary oscillator and it's gonna fly on the NY taxpayers and the Gore/Face skiers. Don't be surprised if Front Street bails before it's over. Don't be surprised if Front Street never gets started.
    More Drama to come. just watch. the end results? projects fail, mega cash flushed, taxpayers and Gore/Whiteface skiers buggered.

there's some good comments/info at the bottom of the Post Star articles. There's no "Yes men" there.