Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Whiteface Mountain Bike Park opens for the season on 6-19-09

I know this is a ski forum but it is obvious everyone here loves Whiteface Mountain and the Lake Placid/Wilmington experience. It also seems for good reasons many are sad the ski season has come to a close. No need to wait till November to visit Whiteface. The woods between your favorite ski trails have been maintained and manicured as world class mtn. bike trails.

We (High Peaks Cyclery) operate the mountain bike park during Whiteface's summer months. With your summer lift ticket you get 2 choices of uphill transport, the gondola for experts trails, and our shuttle bus that only goes to the beginner/intermediate trails (bottom of tower 10 hill). We also have an entire network of world class x-c trails that traverse back and forth below tower 10 hill, all the way to the Flume and beyond.

Open for the mountain biking season on 6-19-09 for 7 days a week.

Here are a few pictures from last season:

Please note most of the above pictures were taken on the expert trails of pro downhill mountain bikers.

For all Whiteface Mountain Bike Park info please visit:
    www.downhillmike.com
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

Whiteface Mountain Bike Park Early Season Pass

This is our pump track. Fairly new to bike parks. A pump track can be ridden in either direction without pedaling. This can also be ridden on any type of bike by any type of rider. Pump tracks teach you great skills and are an amazing cardio work out. These new skills help you ride x-c or dh trails longer and with more energy. I figured you may have seen this from the gondola and wasn't exactly sure what is was.

Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

thanks Mike. it's cool we have a top notch bike area! great job.

i may have to ride those x-c trails this summer.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Nice, but way beyond my skill level.

That Flume ride sounds interesting though.

Maybe those were the wrong pictures to post. Here are some from our lower trails that the shuttle bus accesses.

Our shuttle bus:

Local grom getting ready:

Family fun at The Face summer style:

Classic lower mountain single-track taken on trail # 11 (Whitetail):

Crossing the Stag Brook is a little more challenging, but not too bad & big fun:

I think that's just one of the things that makes Whiteface so great winter or summer. It can be a super challenging mountain that can be intimidating. It's just that much better once you get the confidence and over that fear. Talk about getting stoked! It took me a couple of years before I was comfortable on the upper trails. Now I am more scared while snowboarding than biking. Serious. Just like skiing it's important to progress at a safe pace with the proper equipment. Many locals in the past came here in the summer with their x-c rigs and headed right up top. That's crazy and like taking your x-c skis on the gondola and skiing down the slides, when you've only skiied x-c prior. Crazy.
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

Now those easier trails especially lower valley looks like something I could give a try.

Quote Originally Posted by nyspnypd
    Now those easier trails especially lower valley looks like something I could give a try.
    I circled the shuttle bus drop off location. All trails below the red line are considered beginner/intermediate terrain.
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

Quote Originally Posted by downhillmike
    Quote Originally Posted by nyspnypd
    I circled the shuttle bus drop off location. All trails below the red line are considered beginner/intermediate terrain.
    That is a good amount of beginner trails i may have to give it a try this summer.

can't get the trail map to open-adobe says document damaged.

i read the Decline Magazine article. nice read. at the end he states........when you link the top and bottom runs you have an eight minute ride...........
    that's gotta be a typo. lil whiteface summit to the bottom in eight minutes? on a mtn bike?

what the heck is a grom?

any bikers start pedaling yet? i got 25 miles on. hey it's a start!

are there any ADK biking or atving forums? maybe we should add a board?
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    can't get the trail map to open-adobe says document damaged.

i read the Decline Magazine article. nice read. at the end he states........when you link the top and bottom runs you have an eight minute ride...........
    that's gotta be a typo. lil whiteface summit to the bottom in eight minutes? on a mtn bike?

what the heck is a grom?

any bikers start pedaling yet? i got 25 miles on. hey it's a start!

are there any ADK biking or atving forums? maybe we should add a board?
    I got out once so far on my road bike. It felt good.

I love the pic of the biker coming down Stag Brook. Great shot. I might have to pony up the money for a mountain bike this year.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.