Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    here's alink to a couple of videos from high peaks cyclery that show bike riding at Face. looks fun!!! it would be really cool riding around the mtn in the summer. wonder if we could hit HPD's for bbq and beers afterward? JUST KIDDING! surely a swim in the Ausable would be warranted.

http://highpeakscyclery.com/page.cfm?pageID=161

well, time to shift gears. i'm putting up the boards and picking up the mtn bike/quad/lawnmower/canoe/hedgetimmer/fishing pole/pressure washer/Great Escape pass/rake/beach chairs/sunscreen/ babe watching glasses!!!
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    here's alink to a couple of videos from high peaks cyclery that show bike riding at Face. looks fun!!! it would be really cool riding around the mtn in the summer. wonder if we could hit HPD's for bbq and beers afterward? JUST KIDDING! surely a swim in the Ausable would be warranted.

http://highpeakscyclery.com/page.cfm?pageID=161

well, time to shift gears. i'm putting up the boards and picking up the mtn bike/quad/lawnmower/canoe/hedgetimmer/fishing pole/pressure washer/Great Escape pass/rake/beach chairs/sunscreen/ babe watching glasses!!!
    Maybe
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

can't get the trail map to open-adobe says document damaged.

i read the Decline Magazine article. nice read. at the end he states........when you link the top and bottom runs you have an eight minute ride...........
    that's gotta be a typo. lil whiteface summit to the bottom in eight minutes? on a mtn bike?

what the heck is a grom?

any bikers start pedaling yet? i got 25 miles on. hey it's a start!

are there any ADK biking or atving forums? maybe we should add a board?
    The pro winning time on our race course for our 5 K DH was 7:24.3. The top riders in the states can usually break 8 minutes. Since we put up a $5,000.00 pro cash purse we do get the top riders in the country and beyond. All other dh courses at other mountains (including world cup events) are 3 to 5 minute tracks. Whiteface is just huge vertical for biking. Just huge. Most riders take 15 to 25 minutes for 1 run from the top of Little Whiteface. I went from over an hour to under 10 minutes once I got a big bike and had the confidence to just let 'er roll.

A grom is a little dude. Mountain bikers call kids "groms"

Did the trail map not open from the Whiteface site? I can look into that.

There are many biking forums. None specifically for the Adirondacks. If one was started here I would be happy to help administer, field questions, etc. I do love talking about Whiteface and I can't think of a better place than here.

Also thanks for your interest and the great questions.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

GREAT QUESTIONS! He said I ask GREAT QUESTIONS! I ROCK! I'll have to go tell my lil grom.

Here's another.

what's a big bike? and has anyone tried it on a Big Wheel? the snow tribe rips it on snow shovels. i always wanted to try that! guess i'm a bit of a grom myself.

whacha think HPD? you gonna hook a downhill Mike up? they seem to have a topnotch thing going. $5000.00 purse. top pro riders. top rated course. i've read about Face's DH course at other sites.....it's gaininng fame. alot of people could be interested. meebe we should have a hiker/biker/stoner etc boards for the off season. many of our members do these things. would there be any additional costs?

the map i could not open was from your site,dhm. maybe it's my adobe, although it's an up to date version. i'll check the Face page for a link so i can scope out the trails..................I WANNA RIDE IT!

btw, i have a Gary Fisher Cake. no you can't ride it. jk. is it a big bike?

The Gary Fisher Cake is a great bike but it's a "little bike"

A little bike just means it's a trail bike and not a big bike (downhill bike). Trail bikes weigh between 25 and 30 pounds and have 4 to 5 inches of front and rear wheel travel. perfect for the lower mountain trails at Whiteface.

I have been riding a Specialized demo 9 which is a pretty big bike. 50+ pounds and 9 inches of travel. That means the front and rear shocks compress and rebound a full 9 inches. This bike is perfect for the upper mountain.

To answer another question: No one has ridden a Big Wheel that I know of, but we do have a local that rides the upper mountain single-track on his mountain unicycle. He's from Wilmington and actually traveled with a circus the last few years. The dudes amazing! He could probably ride Whiteface on a Big Wheel.
    http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5008
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

GREAT QUESTIONS! He said I ask GREAT QUESTIONS! I ROCK! I'll have to go tell my lil grom.

whacha think HPD? you gonna hook a downhill Mike up? they seem to have a topnotch thing going.
    They do have a topnotch thing going, I've heard that for years, but I'm not sure what you mean by hooking Mike up.

We can post all the mountain bike stuff you want here if that's what you mean. As far as that goes, the same for road biking, hiking, kaycking or any other ADK activity.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

can't get the trail map to open-adobe says document damaged.
    Try this link for the trail map:
    http://www.orda.org/newsite/todo/sum...tnbike_map.pdf
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

Ok that's great info DHM. i'm glad you posted here. your enthusiasm for the sport and affection for Face are obvious. i bet you have a fantastic time rippin it. you guys are doing a great job!

i'm definitely coming up and riding the lower hill this summer. for me, it always wierd being on a ski mtn off season. seeing the empty chairs, the grass, the contour of the ground that's usually buried in snow is different. but just being on the mtn is always cool. can't wait to ride the trails.

the times they're turning in down that hill are impressive, haulin butt! the videos were cool and show some real speed. the guy on a unicycle-are you kidding me! those things don't even have brakes. imagine struggling to ride down the hill and some guy shows up on a freegin unicycle. hehehe. impressive.

seriously, this is a really cool thing. i don't suppose it will be long till we see X games or mtn dew like bike competions at Face with national/worldwide coverage. das good.

what's next? a skier cross type course for mtn bikes? ripping the bobsled run with studded tires? ascending the 90 meter ski jump for big air? Lord only knows. He certainly has endowed us potential. gracias.

thanks for the info DHM. and thanks for all you do. you too, HPD. people like you guys go a long way towards getting things done so that others may benefit. i'll beep the horn as i ride past your house.

shave and a haircut........two bits.

HPD - given how serious the WF MTB terrain is, maybe you should go over and harass the CT guys about the comparatively piddly trails they ride .

Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    HPD - given how serious the WF MTB terrain is, maybe you should go over and harass the CT guys about the comparatively piddly trails they ride .
    They couldn't take it
    The older I get the faster I was