Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIdds
    HPD - given how serious the WF MTB terrain is, maybe you should go over and harass the CT guys about the comparatively piddly trails they ride .
    hehehe
    incoming .................DUCK !

Nah...I have so "friction" moments over there with some of them on occasion, but the ones I've met are all good guys. I hope some of them ski WF one of these years.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    Nah...I have so "friction" moments over there with some of them on occasion, but the ones I've met are all good guys. I hope some of them ski WF one of these years.
    I was just joking. Everyone seems cranky with end of season or whatever, so even some friendly button pushing isn't the best of ideas right now. I agree they are a good bunch of guys. I met a bunch of them at the Bump or Bust 2 competition.

seriously, this is a really cool thing. i don't suppose it will be long till we see X games or mtn dew like bike competions at Face with national/worldwide coverage. das good.

what's next? a skier cross type course for mtn bikes? ripping the bobsled run with studded tires? ascending the 90 meter ski jump for big air?

4 Cross and Dual Slalom (gated racing) is very popular already for mountain biking at ski resorts. A few bikers have expresses interest in jumping off the 120 on their bike also. It has been done in Europe but not yet in the states.

Just like all other sports that have taken it to the next level, mountain biking is no different. I still can't believe the jumps and table tops both skiers and snowboarders go off. That stuff is huge!

Also like other sports it's great for families. Not all skiers and snowboarders do the huge stuff. Right?

Anyways, thanks for all of the kind words. We really love what we do and without ORDA or High Peaks Cyclery this history in the making would not even be happening.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

Quote Originally Posted by downhillmike

thanks for that.

i have a question regarding bike trail #26, "the ledges". is this bike trail between the ski trails "empire" and "upper mackenzie" (a/k/a "the ledges")?

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles

thanks for that.

i have a question regarding bike trail #26, "the ledges". is this bike trail between the ski trails "empire" and "upper mackenzie" (a/k/a "the ledges")?
    Yep. Blast down Approach and just after Upper Empire you make a 90 degree left into the woods. This trail should only be attempted by experts. Being heavy on your brakes on this kind of terrain is sketchy. I thought this trail was off the charts at 1st, but with a big bike and some confidence your bike will roll right over almost anything.

We call this the 'V' rock and it's on trail # 26:
    From above:

From below:

Once you learn these lines it's just like controlled glade skiing. The average speed in the woods is not as fast as most people think. On a big downhill bike the fork has 8 or 9 inches of suspension. What that does besides soak up the bumps is it sets the angle of the bike and your body position perfect for going downhill only. If you roll up to terrain like that on a trail bike with only 5 inches of suspension (travel) it looks impossible. It is possible, but WAY harder and not nearly as much fun. The hydraulic disc brakes allows for perfect "one finger" braking modulation. Now you still have a thumb and 3 fingers on your bars, so you have control and can brake with NO skidding.

We may use this trail for part of our big downhill race in August? Last year we had an easier course and the racers want more of a challenge. If i wasn't so busy on race day I would love to watch the top pros hit the "V" rock. We had a nice crowd lining the trails at last years race. In Europe and at World Cups thousands of fans line the course with bull horns and cow bells.

If you are curious about any other trails please don't be shy.
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

seriously, this is a really cool thing. i don't suppose it will be long till we see X games or mtn dew like bike competions at Face with national/worldwide coverage. das good.

what's next? a skier cross type course for mtn bikes? ripping the bobsled run with studded tires? ascending the 90 meter ski jump for big air?

4 Cross and Dual Slalom (gated racing) is very popular already for mountain biking at ski resorts. A few bikers have expresses interest in jumping off the 120 on their bike also. It has been done in Europe but not yet in the states.
    thought so. hehehe.

ride a bike down the 120 meter jump............ WHAT A FREEGIN RIDE THAT WOULD BE! You'ld have to be one CRAZY............!

Here is a video of a mountain biker going off of a ski jump. Looks kind of dated too?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35620076643101
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

that wasn't sooooooo bad. i'm surprised he had to keep pedaling on the way down to keep his speed up. all those cross members boards held his speed down. (notice the brrrrrrrrrr sound)

still wicked cool.

no i wouldn't try it.

when's the races at Face this season DHM?

Races & events at the Whiteface Mountain Bike Park:

June 20: Discover Whiteface Day
    June 21: June pump track challenge
    July 02: Local downhill race # 1 of 3
    July 4: Ladies Day # 1 of 4
    July 9: Mini dual slalom race # 1 of 3
    July 16: Mini X-C race # 1 of 3
    July 23: Mini downhill race # 2 of 3
    July 24: July pump track challenge
    July 30: Mini dual slalom race # 2 of 3
    August 1: Ladies Day # 2 of 3
    August 6: Mini X-C race # 2 of 3
    August 13: Mini Downhill series final # 3 of 3
    August 20: Mini Dual Slalom race series final # 3 of 3
    August 27: Mini X-C race series final # 3 of 3
    August 29: Whiteface Gravity East Dual Slalom
    August 30: Whiteface 4th Annual 5 K Downhill
    (Gravity East # 8 & Pro Gravity Tour # 5)
    August 31: August pump track challenge
    September 5: Ladies Day # 3 of 4
    September 12: Whiteface 2nd annual Fall Classic -XC race # 2
    September 20: September pump track challenge
    October 3: Ladies Day # 4 of 4
    October 12: Whiteface 3rd Annual Columbus Day Treasure Hunt
    October 18: October pump track challenge

Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!