Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    What type of bike is best for the pump track?

A hard tail would be best for the pump track.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

great info DHM! sure to be an awesome event with lots of action. truly hope i can make it.

you mentioned awhile back that ski season pass holders will get a free day pass at the bike park. is that still in the cards? how does the payment plan for the season passes figure in......in that the season pass will not be paid in full until September? does it include adult full season passes only or do the non-holiday, junior, etc, crowd also qualify?

this is a great idea. it stands to reward season pass holders and provide the bike park with exposure and possibly more business......all at no cost to ORDA. who ever thought of it deserves an " ATA BOY! ".
    incoming .................DUCK !

Any type of season pass will work for 1 free day of lift service biking any day we are open this summer, regardless if you paid in full or on the payment plan.

Whiteface used to do this a few years ago and we just re introduced the idea.

For the non expert: We operate a shuttle bus for the pump track and intermediate trails. This year we will operate 2 buses on Saturday, and other days if needed. This should really make your experience much better, and possibly doulble the amount of time you spend on your bike. If you are fast you can beat the bus down and catch the next ride on our other bus. A bus should be leaving every 15 to 20 minutes.

Here is our new trail map. This is still a rough draft but you'll see we are color coding the trails this year. We will have all new trail markers the same colors as you see on the map. There will also be 5 large (3' 4 ' maps) on the mountain saying "You are here" at key locations. Even if you know this mountain it can get confusing when you are in between the trails.

Rough draft of new map:

Please ignore the dates on this map as they are from last year. Just wanted to show how we are making this mountain more user friendly for the bikers or new comers.
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

excellent. thanks ORDA, Face Bike Park and DownHill Mike! many of us should take advantage of this offer. how cool is it to be on the mtn in the good ol' summertime? the colored trail makers will help us snowbirds as trails look different w/no snow. the extra buses adding more bike runs..... fantastic! DHM's info is quick, concise and informative. it don't get no better!

i said it before and i'll say it again.........DHM your enthusiasm is readily apparent and you and your team are doing a wonderful job. the mtn, the sport and many, many people will find enjoyment and benefit from your efforts. you are an asset to the Placid/Face area and it's community. well done.

i have noticed my event is not on the list. are we foregoing my ride down the 120 meter ski jump on my pimped out Big Wheel ? people (some on here!) were really, really hoping to see me rip it. perhaps i can substitute a rip through the High Falls Gorge on a Boogie Board. Woo Hoo!

how 'bout it,guys......anybody wanna see me hit it ?

don't be shy. like the bike park day pass......this one's a freebie!

Thanks for the very kind words and I will continue with my enthusiasm for 1 more thing.

The bike film we are showing at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts is in high definition 3-D. I wasn't 100% sure the 3-D effects would show in all their glory on the big screen. There was talk of having to rent special projectors.

Well, we went to the LPCA today to watch the video Truth & Beauty in 3-D.
    Wholly mackerel! It was unbelievable on the big screen. Total 3-D effects for a gravity bike film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention the film is free?
    Downhill Mike
    www.downhillmike.com
    Size does matter!

I'm pretty sure I'm stickin w/ golf as my summer time activity----I'm no where cool enough to do that---pix are way nasty tho.
    The older I get the faster I was

Hey Mike

Do you know what time the ribbon cutting is for the Flume trails tomorrow??

Thanks

Just an update on the opening ceremony for the Flume Trail Network. The ceremony will be held this Saturday (5/30) at 11:00 am.

There will be a ribbon cutting followed by brief statements (approximately 5 minutes) from each of the organizations involved: Whiteface Mountain, Wilmington Mountain Peddlers, Town of Wilmington, Adirondack Mountain Club, and DEC.

Other highlights include:
    A barbeque (and hopefully some good weather) immediately following the ceremony (approximately 12:30 pm).

A volunteer trail work project (building a new single track bridge over a wet area).

And, guided hikes/bike rides.

what no Mariachi Band to go with the Ya Ya Ya speeches? Ze Burro will be bummed !

Great job on the new trails. Gracias to all involved for making it happen. Muy Bueno !!!