Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion Box

Suggestion Box

If Whiteface had a suggestion box what suggestions for improvements, changes, additions, etc. would you like to see for next season? Please keep comments constructive and civil.

You never know who reads ski forums. You might have an idea that gets picked up.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Skyward is a great trail and a very important trail at our mountain. That said, Upper Cloudspin (IMO) is the best trail on the mountain. Most people I know prefer it to Skyward.

This season Upper Cloudspin was hardly open at all. I do know that part of the reason why was problems with the snow making equipment on it.

Here’s are my take for Upper Cloudspin:

Next season blow snowmaking on UCS first
    I understand it makes accessing Lower Skyward a little harder, but it’s still doable. When UCS is open my crew either uses Lower Switchback or a hard left turn and skate up to get to Lower Sky all the time.

UCS could have been open a lot more this season with just the natural snow it got.
    Even in the spring when the middle was brown, the sides where very skiable. Put up a thin cover sign when skier safety is not a concern and let people decide for themselves.

There may be several reasons that I am not privy to why this suggestion makes no sense from a management standpoint, but why not through it out there for forum discussion?

Next
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Well, first another great thread by HPD. You are always start best discussions on AZ, so my first item in the Suggestion box would be

1) HighPeaksDrifter, start you best threads here instead of A.Z.

2) Please, always run Freeway lift on weekends. Parkway and Thruway are best enjoyed all way to the Lower Valley.

3) Make a note of bottleneck spots where snow melts faster in late March / April and make some extra snow (should not take much) in order to keep more trails open into April. Lower Skyward would be an example, when I had to walk few feet on grass to get from Pumphouse thru shortcut to Lower Sky.

They could use more bartenders in the afternoons. Not that I am there often.

My opinion and this will cost some big bucks but I still stand on putting wind turbines in at whiteface you could be completely off the grid and even make some money. other than that nothing I could really think of.

Somebody needs to find a way to get those GREAT cameo appearances by someone other than BUTTWIDENER back in the lounge.

Not a day goes by on the weekend that I don't have to hear a customer ask, "What happened to the three Sams?", or, "What happened to the Yegermeister ( sp ) Girls?", or, "Why doesn't Lake Placid Pub 'n Brewery do tastings up here anymore?", etc., etc. etc..

Centerplate is turning the lounge into a retirement facility. What needs to be done to make it fun again???

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    UCS could have been open a lot more this season with just the natural snow it got.
    Even in the spring when the middle was brown, the sides where very skiable. Put up a thin cover sign when skier safety is not a concern and let people decide for themselves.
    Next
    I agree with this statement, but I would extend this philosophy to the rest of the mountain. It seems that Whiteface management is reluctant to open terrain with thin cover. Open up UCS and Empire more often and let the skier's decide whether they are worth banging up some skis over. I've skied these trails when they are closed a number of times and coverage has been fantastic.

* Open up the Freeway liftline to skiing. Gore has utilized its liftlines for cheap terrain expansions to great effect. Whiteface should do the same. There appears to be a small amount of mileage leftover anyways.

* If Hoyt's has snowmaking on it next season, keep it ungroomed.

* Build up a better base on Lookout so that it can last longer into the spring. With its southern exposure, spring skiing is fantastic on that side of the mountain.

* Open Lookout before the Summit.

Suggestion for Web site: it seems that WF did a much better job this year updating the "photo of the day", but I would suggest that the webmaster make the archive available for viewing (like Gore does).

How about some good Buffalo Wings at the bar? Really, the Cloudspin Lounge needs some attention. The beer is decent and it's a nice place to get a drink, but the food selections is inadequate. Beer and wings at the end of a hard ski day hit the spot.

PS - the bar in the Gore base lodge has really good wings.

I've got a couple things:

1) Open the pipe sometime before mid-January.

2) Run the freeway lift on weekends. It will help spread the crowds around more.

and if Whiteface somehow gets enough money to put snowmaking on Hoyts,

3) Keep Hoyts ungroomed. Nice bump runs are always enjoyed...
    Don't Get Dead