Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Interconnect

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    To me the trails always feel steeper hiking vs skiing.
    Ditto. it's surprising to walk ski trails. last fall during the Harvest Festival we ascended the summit via Cloud which i thought would be a cake walk. it wasn't. after lunch on the summit and a descent to the Saddle Lodge some of us were tired and i thought the walk down Sunway would surely be a nice stroll. it wasn't. certain party members were grumbling. sore feet, tired thighs and a much longer distance than you'ld think.

the stretch of Cloud from Lower Darby/Headwaters to Santanoni is a great place to find chunks of Garnet in the gravel that lines the sides of the road. we picked up about a quarter of a sandwich bag full before the Saddle Lodge.

the Saddle Lodge was open for trips to El Bano, but it was kinda like a Stephen King novel- the main room was loaded with swarms of house flies.

all and all the Gondi ride up, hike to summit and then hike down to the base was fun and i recommend it. make sure your shoe laces are tight and foot is back in the heel cup. one of our party lost a toe nail due to .....toe jam?!!! take the service road from Foxlair down to the base. we rejoined the ski trail at 3b- mistake! Sunway and the lower trails don't have much of a road to walk and the very uneven, overgrown ground is difficult with tired legs and a likely ankle twister.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    How's the pitch on that lift line?
    I spent some time today (at work doh!) trying to figure this out. While it looks pretty steep on the topo, I can't see how it can steeper be than Lies. The conversion between grade and slope angle twists my brain so I might be figuring this wrong:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/08...ine-pitch.html

Comparing skiing down vs hiking up is not always the best way to compare slopes. To me the trails always feel steeper hiking vs skiing. I question my sanity when I am hiking with non skiers and they complain about the steepness of some blue trail and I agree with their complaints.
    I'm with Xman on this. When I walked Cedars last summer, I was sure it had enough pitch to get you down to BRQ without the Gore Shuffle. As was pointed out...I was wrong.

I cannot wait to ski it.
    +1. Summer is too long, winter is too short.

Amen to that my Brother!

Here in North Jersey we have been having a cooler (temp wise) summer than usual. Today it is about 75F with 22% humidity! This unheard of at this time of year. Usually we get these days in Sept or early Oct. This is throwing my internal ski clock off. We should be about 2+ months from skiing, not 3+ months.

Not sure if this has been observed or mentioned yet. I read almost all posts and apologize if this has been discussed.

Why would anyone but a raw beginner ride chair 14 to the base. Now that I walked around the area and got a good feel for what is actually happening, I am very exicted about the snow bowl expansion. Check this strategy out......park in the village, ride the HS quad (the new one to be installed next year) to the top of the new snow bowl....ride Eagles nest trail (assuming this will be the trail name) down and over Roaring Brook---new trail that I just posted photos of. From there, jump on the BRQ, ride up and then ski back to the base. Bet you could do this on the HS lifts and get in some pretty good runs in the same time you ride chair 14. But, as noted, a green skier/boarder could not do this.

I also think they may have to widen pipeline. There will be some beginner skiers and there are some drops that could get icy as skiers sideslip/snowplow or boarder scrape it clean.

I: ) Skiing - I am 99.9%sure that the fixed grip triple in the parking lot at Gore will be installed next summer in place of the hsq that we see on the plans in the NC Ski Bowl. The lift was bought be ORDA and the developer deeded the land under the lift to Gore (or the town).

x1000-- Thanks, I knew about that fixed grip triple and the deeded land....but I am sure that I read the developer was going to both purchase and install the lift then deed over......Either we saved the developer some cash, or I was mistaken....likely the latter. Guess I would change man "theory" on "who would ride. But then, that smaller triple ride would be a lot less tedious than the 14ner.

Question and comment for Gore.

Will you (I recommend you do) start the 14ner 20 minutes before the gondi? That way somone inclined to get fresh on the main hill might ride 14ner rather than drive up.......isnt that the goal of the interconnect...."get people to ski down into town after the day"

incoming .................DUCK !

Gentlemen, I lost my concentration at around page 3, although I still interested in interconnect with Bowl, so I keep reading this thread. Would someone please summarize what are plans for this and next year? Will we have a gondola from North Creek, Albany or all way from NYC?

I am hearing rumor of an interconnet between Gore and Hickory?