Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

NEW WILD AIR TERRAIN PARK!!?

huh? could it be that mtn management is going to a build a new terrain park? really? i musta been dreaming.................

wake me when it snows.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I heard they're moving the Terrain Park to Wild Air and taking out the one on Sleighride . . .

^Seriously. I hear they're widening it to the widest the trail is aloud to be, but with the poles that's still retarded.
    Also, I heard they're not ordering any more new rails or box's. Sleighride was empty enough as it is, and a lot of our rails and box's got destroyed by groomers. Also, I guarantee they won't be blowing any more snow for jumps than previous years, so jumps aren't going to be a space filler either.

Basically what they should do is use the widened side of the trail for a good jump line, and build something actually bigger than 20 feet. Get in-house welders to make a few new rails, and use the narrower side of the trail for a jib park.

...And actually hire me, and have Jason listen to me
    send it!

Our little hill where I ski the most basically turned the park over to a 18yr old...(he could be 19). 07/08 it was the best ever (not saying too much, but much better than most other dinky areas), this year, 08/09, mgmt committed to blowing snow on it BEFORE we actually opened (duh) and with his welding shop and carpentry buddies---the place rocked. I do not have access to budgets....but this was done on a dime in comparision to the cash the area brought in.....

We have 1/5 the "park area" Gore has and had features that 5 yr olds were hitting, all the way up to monster walls...a thong like device that was 12' in the air, rails, butter boxes, stumps (yes real stumps), tires, little jumps, mediums and then the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    Our little hill where I ski the most basically turned the park over to a 18yr old...(he could be 19). 07/08 it was the best ever (not saying too much, but much better than most other dinky areas), this year, 08/09, mgmt committed to blowing snow on it BEFORE we actually opened (duh) and with his welding shop and carpentry buddies---the place rocked. I do not have access to budgets....but this was done on a dime in comparision to the cash the area brought in.....

We have 1/5 the "park area" Gore has and had features that 5 yr olds were hitting, all the way up to monster walls...a thong like device that was 12' in the air, rails, butter boxes, stumps (yes real stumps), tires, little jumps, mediums and then the big boys.
    that puts Gore's to shame. shame also is the patrons are getting short changed and Gore's coffers are being short changed. more jumps,even little ones, spead around the hill would rock. kids love 'em! and all they take is snow.....it's sad.

one can only chalk it up to a bad management attitude.
    incoming .................DUCK !

I have to say that I was quite disappointed in seeing Gore's "park", as was my son, age 3.5 at the time. I had not skied Gore for 5 yrs and was expecting a whole lot more, given how most other areas are going crazy with parks. My son being fully amazed at the size of Gore, the gondi, the everything bigger..and snow in the woods as opposed to the rocks and leaves we see in the south...said of the T-park as I carried him through it..."But daddy, where are the fun things and all the people?" For those lurking...Gores T-park trail is a more narrow, blue or blue/green. Too steep/narrow for a 3.5 yr old to ski it and not piss everyone and their brother off.

.....out of the mouths of babes.

Pic of trail widening for the Wild Air Park (from the website):

There's no good place for a park at Gore. This place is going to be full of gapers who have no idea what they're doing because it's at such an accessible place; also most people that ski the lower mountain are beginners who don't understand the respect side of skiing/riding.

I just really hope Gore finally makes one of their "big steps" to making a safe, constant reliable terrain park.

As for the lift tower statement; ski at your own risk; I imagine they will have park at skiiers right and cut the trail in half with a fence, using the towers as a guide. If you suck enough to hit a ski tower, then good- at least it's one more dangerous aspect off of the mountain

Experienced some frost a couple days ago up in Caroga.
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a good place for a dedicated park at the Ski bowl when they get the interconnect going. If they can cut a wide enough trail that is accessible from the new lift that they'll be installing next year, ideally you'll be able to go right from the park to that icy abortion that they call a halfpipe. It should be pretty good for laps, and hopefully they'll have enough pitch on that ridge to get something good running (Similar to Jiminy's park on the far skier's left side of the mountain).

I still favor the Killington's "The Stash" model, though:

The Woods are the Goods.

Shredding in the snowy woods has always been the purest experience in snowboarding, the roots of freestyle. Jake and the Burton Team have teamed up with Killington and 4 other resorts worldwide to create the evolution of freestyle snowboard parks in the ultimate natural environment: The Stash. Taking advantage of natural terrain, local wood products and all the creative elements the mountain has to offer, The Stash will take your freestyle riding to the next level. From rainbow log jibs and misty road gaps to hidden pow slashes and fast banks, The Stash mixes the best of every trail into one, wooded run that will test your riding flow. And better yet, The Stash was developed with the future of the mountain environment in mind. From the re-use of local trees and found objects to on-hill recycling, The Stash is designed to have more impact on your riding and less impact on the environment. Find your own line and take your freestyle riding to where the woods are the goods: The Stash.

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2
    Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a good place for a dedicated park at the Ski bowl when they get the interconnect going. If they can cut a wide enough trail that is accessible from the new lift that they'll be installing next year, ideally you'll be able to go right from the park to that icy abortion that they call a halfpipe. It should be pretty good for laps, and hopefully they'll have enough pitch on that ridge to get something good running (Similar to Jiminy's park on the far skier's left side of the mountain).

I still favor the Killington's "The Stash" model, though:

The Woods are the Goods.

Shredding in the snowy woods has always been the purest experience in snowboarding, the roots of freestyle. Jake and the Burton Team have teamed up with Killington and 4 other resorts worldwide to create the evolution of freestyle snowboard parks in the ultimate natural environment: The Stash. Taking advantage of natural terrain, local wood products and all the creative elements the mountain has to offer, The Stash will take your freestyle riding to the next level. From rainbow log jibs and misty road gaps to hidden pow slashes and fast banks, The Stash mixes the best of every trail into one, wooded run that will test your riding flow. And better yet, The Stash was developed with the future of the mountain environment in mind. From the re-use of local trees and found objects to on-hill recycling, The Stash is designed to have more impact on your riding and less impact on the environment. Find your own line and take your freestyle riding to where the woods are the goods: The Stash.
    Has anyone been in Killington's stash? I took a run in Keystone's wooded terrain park and while its pretty cool, it's hard to keep maintained due to lack of grooming. It's hard to keep it smooth when your dodging rocks, half buried trees and negotiating super hardpack berms. Great idea though, I guess you just have to time it right after a storm. I find the local stashes much much more enjoyable
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things