Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guess my only comment to tons of features is.....you got to have money to then STAFF the park and get those features open or at least 3/4 of them at any given time.
    As of now, there are going to be about 25 features in. Ideally, all of those will be open at once (excluding when we are just putting them in/making serious mods to them). I think we have 4 people who work park now, only usually 2 of them on the hill at once, last year at times there was only 1. That being said I think that we're fairly understaffed. With a park this size, I think we're going to need at least 5 people, and ideally about 4 working at once. The problem is everyone who wants the position (me) is "too young" by gore standards to work, and most people who do end up getting hired don't know a whole lot about what they're doing. Let's hope to get a few people interested in working this year who have a little better idea of what makes a good park.

oh yeah. build a dang spine!!! even lil ones like Face has here unt there. I NEED A SPINE!
    do you mean spine or hip? Cause we're (hopefully) having both! A hip is a front approach with a landing to one side, while a spine can either be basically a really steep jump with a really steep landing (two quarter pipes back to back) or a hip where you can land on either side. The spine we're planning on having is going to have (again, hopefully) a 30 foot snowmaking pipe along the top of it as a jib, though. The Hip is going to be on the very bottom jump, so you can either hit it as a table via hitting the takeoff on the right, or hit it as a hip taking the takeoff on the left.

The Gondi view will be nice. This is not a complaint---but if I were asked...I'd rather be on a chair....you get to cheer and yell...."go for it" Or....."ahhhhhhh"
    I definitely agree with this one. Although if it were my choice i'd rather not have anything going over top of me. Easier to get busted by ski patrol for doing flips

just don't make them all expert so to speak as others and the wee ones need some tamer stuff and that is necessary for all to have successful park experience. that should be a goal.
    This is definitely kept in mind. There are up to 3 different lines you can take through the park, each section having small, medium, and large features. Although almost every new feature we're planning on purchasing this year will be in the large category. Also, don't forget Joyland, the progression park hidden back next to the j-bar. That will still be around with small features this year. Although Emily Stanton wants to re-name it to the "Newschool Park"

Ideally, we wanted to keep upper sleighride as the "small" park as well to try to keep the little ones out of our hair while giving them a place to play. They (and their parents) seem to not quite grasp the concept of park etiquette. Then again, all the cross traffic going from upper to lower would still be around, seeings as you need to take lower to get to the bottom half of the wild air park. That was a big reason for the switch to wild air from sleighride.

Does anyone know a site to host .pdf file? I don't have a jpeg of the proposed park map.
    send it!

well, a hip/spine where you launch off the front end and can land either side ( or one side )....like they had at the bottom of L. Sleighride 2-3 yrs. ago. OR something like that cuz it's easier to land on and thus learn and have fun. i didn't have to worry about misjudging jumping distances and such. It's easy landing on the sides. you can catch some good air and actually get 2 jumps by launching off the downhill end also.

W/the undermaned and creative input issues, it's too bad the Mtn couldn't at least have a volunteer helper program were people and school kids could pitch in.

However, this is really starting to sound like a major improvement. That could be a important boost for the Mtn.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    well, a hip/spine where you launch off the front end and can land either side ( or one side )....like they had at the bottom of L. Sleighride 2-3 yrs. ago. OR something like that cuz it's easier to land on and thus learn and have fun. i didn't have to worry about misjudging jumping distances and such. It's easy landing on the sides. you can catch some good air and actually get 2 jumps by launching off the downhill end also.

W/the undermaned and creative input issues, it's too bad the Mtn couldn't at least have a volunteer helper program were people and school kids could pitch in.

However, this is really starting to sound like a major improvement. That could be a important boost for the Mtn.
    Yup we'll (again, hopefully) have it. Aisle 5 on the left . Problem is I never really believe a whole lot till I see it.

Haha myself and one or two other friends are the volunteer crew. When putting in rails and stuff we're always around helping. Or if I see something that needs to be cared for real bad, I'll grab a rake and fix it up quick. The problem with having an official volunteer program is the laibility. Also the reason I haven't had a job for the past 2 years
    send it!

Volunteer workers in a park is def. a liability risk. Not saying the volunteers don't know what they are doing,,,rather the shark attnys will point to this....when the suit happens. The last two briefs I read involved broken necks....in both cases the attny's argue either the ramp angle up, or the landing angle.....Poor design was the cause of the broken neck..not the fact that the kid couldn't ride/ski well enough to do the gaps. If those cases had volunteer labor----forget the facts, write the checks. Right or wrong.

oh, i don't know. volunteers can do alot more than element design. they would also receive direction/supervision from the Gore employee. any lawyer who couldn't successfully rebutt w/ " the elements are all up to and within industry standards. all volunteers are supervised and don't not work alone or make changes to the park elements " isn't worth a grain of salt.

I am all for volunteers.....I do it (not in the park--yet) just saying that when a suit happens....Jurors are about as dumb as they come. That or bored. Anyone can argue anything, but who is listening? Yep, a good defense attny could show all the facts (which really do not matter in the end). All plaintiff attny has to do is say....Look broken neck, can't walk or ski ever again....he paid $75 dollars for a lift ticket....and those money grubbers used volunteer labor which contributed to my client's injury...pay him, don't let that nasty ski company have profits.

This is a good thread about the new Wild Air---if we want to continue down this vein, lets do it outside this thread.

Get welding boys.....(not that I will ride the rails). Just a jumper.

fujative, you seem to know what is going to be built, will there be some small 1-2 ft jumps or separate area for beginners / little kids ?

Right at the top of the park, on skiers right is what we have planned for a little jump line, Similar to the ones in upper Sleighride this year. also down where lower Sleighright on skiers right there might be a few more. They will probably actually be about 8-10 feet to the landing, but they're small enough where the kids can land virtually anywhere on them.
    send it!

How about a roller field. That flat spot would be perfect for this. The kind you see at the bottom of gate race training. 6 or 7 rollers about 2 feet high. Kids and adults love these too. Great for mogul lessons too!

I saw on the Mtn's home page they're going to film their new TV commercial this weekend at the terrain elements. Fuj, do you have to work all weekend or there a Cameo appearance in the commercial for you?