Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter seasonal rental experience

I plan to rent a house for the 09/10 season. has anyone done one it before, suggestions?

I own a place. Rentals were horrible for me last season. Our agency was only able to rent out for three weeks for the whole ski season. Didn't even get a rental for christmas/New Years week.

Wonder how last season was for other owners?

St. Jerry,

Not to replace agency, but consider additional advertising on ADKbyOwner.com, that's where I look for rentals.

Christmas week comment: I found many owners would not break up that week, whereas I would prefer renting only 3-4 nights that early in season.

Denison,

http://www.gorerentals.com/sunway.htm

We went in with 2 other families for a long weekend last year and thought the place worked well. It's about 2 miles past the Gore entrance on PVR. I think it was $1200 for three nights. 3 bedrooms, 1 bunkroom for the kids and 2 full baths. It had a full kitchen, garage, sat tv, inc taxes & cleaning fees. Typical ADK home, clean, close to Gore/NC and spacious. We were there basically to eat & sleep, but we've all talked about booking it again for this coming year.

Last post made me realize that I'm not clear on my message again

I'm talking here about whole season rental, like from November/December into April.

I used to have share for one winter in West Dover, VT (in previous skiing life)
    This year I seriously thinking about renting a house / apartment so to avoid trouble of finding a place to sleep every weekend / holidays.

So if anyone had experience on either side of the deal, do share!

try contacting brodrick realestate,there good people,and they do this sort of thing,there located rite in norh creek,at the four corners,rite in town...good luck

My family rented an apartment in North Creek 2 seasons ago. The place was a bit of a dump but the price and location were great. We found that we felt presure to come up every weekend becasue we had the rental. My 2 boys we 11 and 9 years old and were involved in activities that made it hard to go up all the time. We realized that it skiing every other weekend worked best for us. After doing the math, it made more sense to pay for hotels on the weekends we came up and not do a seasonal rental. If we skiied more or the money was not an issue, I would look to rent for the season again. Enjoy. Eric

Rentals

There is something to be said for having a rental or owning a place. I rented for a long time and then bought and renovated. Even for 2 or 3 weekends a month, it's worth it not to have to load and unload everything each weekend. Once you are settled in for the season, the only things that you'll need to haul are groceries and clean laundry. One of the best investments I've ever made in terms of pleasure returned.

Yeah and if you are SUPER cheap like me, and you have a way cool wife who doesn't mind the rustic life... you can own a place like this for the cost of a rental:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/10...rth-river.html

Last year I figured that my total cost of skiing was somewhere around $6000 including:

mortgage
    taxes
    2 season passes
    1 child in bear cub den
    gas from NJ
    plowing
    utilities

That's competitive with the cost of a seasonal rental I think. I didn't include food or laundry because you have to spend that money even if you stay home. The main thing is the mortgage and taxes are almost zero because the place is so dinky and considered seasonal by the taxman...not habitable in the winter. That math is a little funny because we have been doing things in chunks over the years...land first, then driveway, then cabin, then bathroom. The mortgage is only on the bathroom - the most expensive part by far. The rest is paid off.

It's not all a picnic. You own it...when there's an ice storm or whatever...you watch the radar and hope for the best.

Harvey, I like your blog, good read.
    I always wonder why is your cabin so tiny, like 12 by 18 feet... Having it built a bit bigger would not cost much more...