Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is pretty darn small.

The concept changed a bunch of times before we built it.

In our mind, it was originally a leanto. Then we thought....maybe if it is screened in we can use it during bug season. At one point it was 18' x 30'. One version had french doors = yikes. We finally settled on 12 x 18.

There are a few reasons for that. First was cost. I wasn't willing to have two mortgages, so I wanted to do it out of cash. I used my tax refund that year. Maintenance and taxes are really low.

Also we leave it unheated and (currently) heat it with word. That's also cheaper and easier in a smaller building. There are times when we show up and it's way below zero in there. We can get it up to a reasonable temp in a couple hours. It's also less work. I split the wood for next year in 4 hours a few weeks ago. We use about a cord per season.

The ultimate goal was to build a house on the property. It will go right were the bathroom is - the bathroom is built on skids and can be dragged out of the way with a backhoe. The cabin was conceived to ultimately be an outbuilding...maybe a guest house or art studio. We thought if it was too big it would be out of proportion with the house we dream about.

At the time we built it we weren't really regulars at Gore...we primarily skied the BC (Siamese)...both day skiing and winter camping. When you are used to either staying at garnet hill, or camping in the woods or on the property....12 x 18 seemed pretty big.

OH YEA...one more thing...we NEVER imagined a BABY in our life. If we had....we might have gone bigger.

Thread hijack over.

If you haven't found a place yet you may want to try some of the places that rent cabins if they will rent for the season. Should be cheaper than a whole house and the owner will likely incluide plowing (a significant cost last season). I've stayed at Dillon Hill cabins and Atateka and would recommend either one.

tom

Seasonal rental at Gore Mt

My wife and I have a house one mile from Gore Mountain. We would love to do a seasonal rental. Call me if you would like to discuss it.

there ya go denison.

and for a deal on a used car call Junior Samples at BR549.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Well. I'm almost there. We went up with my son 2 weeks ago, checked out properties, made the decision and now I'm waiting to get rental agreement in the mail
    I'm very excited about winter rental, hope to spend as much time as possible in the Gore area, including February school vacation week and pre-Easter (also school vacation) week.

I did it - rented a house for full season. Big thanks to Patricia at Pearsall Realty http://www.pearsallrealty.com - she was very helpful.

I saw "rentals available" signs by Pearsall Realty office today, so stop by or call if you need to stay for a full season, holiday week or even weekend - you'll get your money worth.