Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gondi loading in downtown NC! Check it out.

Not sure if anyone has seen the drawings found in the link below. The town of NC never looked better! You must click on Northcreek and Northcreek Connections, I cannot link them directly becuase they are PDFs.

Note: Gondi loading station at river front park, next to the remodeled train station.

Nice walking path along the river upto Ski Bowl.

Now for the interconnect thread.....with this, we need two gondi....or one REALLY long one with a Ski Bowl loading area.

http://www.firstwilderness.com/masterplan.php

As for grammer: I am presuming that "gondi" can both be singular and plural of the true word. Similar to "deer"

I think I'm changing my name to Ghondi Boy. This is my new avatar:

If I was only that good on computer.....Ahh the possibilities.
    ------
    Comments on the link?

Quote Originally Posted by I:)skiing
    Comments on the link?
    I think it's a beautiful plan.

But I think I should relax...

It could be a while.

This is a nice idea but I do not think the people in North Creek would have approved this type of development. I think this plan was one of the reasons the Copperfield was built. After this never materialized, the Copperfield was closed and then sold by the original owner.

The gondola connection from the town to the skiing would have been huge for North Creek, although it might have started a 'knock down and rebuild' situation on Main St. NC would have been unique in the East where the original town connects to the skiing via a lift (like Park City ). It also would have cut into Whiteface vacationers and ORDA does not like when that happens.

As I mentioned in another thread, the train is a tough sell for skiers, even when they start in a place like NYC. Maybe a train from the Albany area (1.5 hr, reasonable price, decent parking at a few local stations) could work like Winter Park in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q
    It also would have cut into Whiteface vacationers and ORDA does not like when that happens.

Not sure I follow.....I could see vested interests in Lake Placid not liking it (Lussi?), but ORDA? They run both, so attracting to skiers to Gore, even some that might have instead gone to WF, should be fine from ORDA's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    It also would have cut into Whiteface vacationers and ORDA does not like when that happens.

Not sure I follow.....I could see vested interests in Lake Placid not liking it (Lussi?), but ORDA? They run both, so attracting to skiers to Gore, even some that might have instead gone to WF, should be fine from ORDA's perspective.
    I assumed x10003q's theory was that WF vacationers are likely to spread more of their money around at Lake Placid ORDA venues--boblsed, ski jump, skating, etc.--than they would at ORDA venues at Gore, which is pretty much just the ski area.

Quote Originally Posted by SIAWOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles

I assumed x10003q's theory was that WF vacationers are likely to spread more of their money around at Lake Placid ORDA venues--boblsed, ski jump, skating, etc.--than they would at ORDA venues at Gore, which is pretty much just the ski area.

aaah, ok, thanks.

while this might be a concern, i'd think that vacationers that what to check out the olympic facilities will do so and continue to go to WF/LP regardless of what goes on at gore....and the new clients that a destination resort at gore would attract should offset ORDA maybe losing a few bobsled ticket sales.

ORDA represents the Lake Placid region not the North Creek region. Gore got lumped into ORDA during the early 1980s. Watch the ORDA Board meeting where they tabled the ski bowl chair. Board members Lussi and Wiebrect own huge resorts in the middle of LP, and board member Donaldson is the Essex County Manager. LP is in Essex County. Their interests are in LP, not 40 miles south in NC. Here is an article about the $22 million conference Center that is planned for LP. It is right next to Lussi's property.
    http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_...008231851.html

Imagine what $22 million would do inthe NC/Gore area.

There are many international/national ski events at at WF each year. ORDA has NEVER run an event at Gore. Why is that? LP already has the bobsled run, the speed skating venue, and the hockey/ice skating rinks. These events have to be in LP. Do you think they could spare a skier cross event? How about a freestyle competition? How about a cross country event? Gore is part of ORDA. Gore runs a bunch of junior races each year. I am sure they could figure out some of the higher levels of competition. All these events draw vacationers and competitors and the support staff for the events filling up Lussi's and Wiebrects's resorts and increasing Essex County's tax revenue. Many of these events are on TV. How much is that worth in promotional value?

Gore's has 2 big advantages over WF: It has better access to population and a better all around ski experience. If downtown NC ever looked like the drawings above, it would draw many visitors away from LP. This is why ORDA never promotes Gore. WF is in direct competition with Gore.

My own selfish motvation for developing NC has to do with having more people ski midweek so Gore cannot justify closing so much of the mouintain midweek. People know this happens and ski elsewhere midweek. This contributes to the restaurants and bars closing midweek. ORDA likes that Gore remains a somewhat unknown day/weekend ski area (not a resort) even though Gore has the terrain and access to compete with the WF and certain ski resorts in Vermont. I do like the lack of crowds at Gore on most weekends. However, Gore has limited the crowd by limiting the parking. If Gore was promoted, the parking would still control the crowd.

ORDA represents the Lake Placid region not the North Creek region. Gore got lumped into ORDA during the early 1980s. Watch the ORDA Board meeting where they tabled the ski bowl chair. Board members Lussi and Wiebrect own huge resorts in the middle of LP, and board member Donaldson is the Essex County Manager. LP is in Essex County. Their interests are in LP, not 40 miles south in NC. Here is an article about the $22 million conference Center that is planned for LP. It is right next to Lussi's property.
    http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_...008231851.html

Imagine what $22 million would do inthe NC/Gore area.

There are many international/national ski events at at WF each year. ORDA has NEVER run an event at Gore. Why is that? LP already has the bobsled run, the speed skating venue, and the hockey/ice skating rinks. These events have to be in LP. Do you think they could spare a skier cross event? How about a freestyle competition? How about a cross country event? Gore is part of ORDA. Gore runs a bunch of junior races each year. I am sure they could figure out some of the higher levels of competition. All these events draw vacationers and competitors and the support staff for the events filling up Lussi's and Wiebrects's resorts and increasing Essex County's tax revenue. Many of these events are on TV. How much is that worth in promotional value?

Gore's has 2 big advantages over WF: It has better access to population and a better all around ski experience. If downtown NC ever looked like the drawings above, it would draw many visitors away from LP. This is why ORDA never promotes Gore. WF is in direct competition with Gore.

My own selfish motvation for developing NC has to do with having more people ski midweek so Gore cannot justify closing so much of the mouintain midweek. People know this happens and ski elsewhere midweek. This contributes to the restaurants and bars closing midweek. ORDA likes that Gore remains a somewhat unknown day/weekend ski area (not a resort) even though Gore has the terrain and access to compete with the WF and certain ski resorts in Vermont. I do like the lack of crowds at Gore on most weekends. However, Gore has limited the crowd by limiting the parking. If Gore was promoted, the parking would still control the crowd.

this is all way off, imo. there is no grand conspiracy. i really think things are being managed to develop all the facilities.

any investment made at WF is made in parallel at gore....in fact, rumor has it WF lost some funding for lookout to help gore with burnt ridge/ski bow. anyway, ORDA is a REGIONAL development authority....good luck getting high-speed quads and fancy gondolas AND cheap lift tix without ORDA/NY state.

regarding the conference center, LP has a history of hosting conferences and it would make no sense to have such a facility in NC. the conference facilities are part of an overall plan to advance all of the assets of ORDA. ORDA has no mandate to generally benefit NC or LP. its job is to promote the facilities under its management.