Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    just when i thought it couldn't get anymore ridiculous...........

a gondi from downtown NC to Gore? LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anybody wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?
    incoming .................DUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    just when i thought it couldn't get anymore ridiculous...........

a gondi from downtown NC to Gore? LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anybody wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

ok, then, what's your plan for developing gore into a destination resort and helping out NC in the process?

ok. i've regained my composure.....but my side still aches.....man that was funny!

puddles........why do i have to have a plan for Gore/NC? just because i don't believe any old BS idea that comes along? but if you insist.......here's one for the Gullibles.......how about they close the road to Gore and force people to go to NC? then install a teleporter to access the mtn. they could even go whole hog and install a port to a Worm Hole and thus become the World's first " Gateway to another Galaxy!", which is where some people seem to be living anyway.

or give everybody that goes to NC $1000. that's sure to be far more effective in bringing people into NC and probably far cheaper than the other ideas they come up with and you tout.

Why in the world does Gore have to become a destination resort in the first place? huh? IT DOESN'T! your premise is faulty. Plus, not all Gore skiers want more people there. you guys beating the drum to get more people to Gore are cutting your own throat and ours. Why in the world would you want long lift lines and crowded slopes? and don't say it wouldn't happen. you can't have it both ways(unless you're a politician). if you think their plans will bring more people then that equals crowds, case closed! and no thank you!

Why does NC deserve more attention/dollars for economic developement that any other towns in the ADKS? there's dozens of other towns that are equally if not far more sedate than NC. Why are they being discriminated against? at least NC has Gore. that's alot more than many other ADK towns!

not everybody who lives in the area wants more people there. many who live in the area do so simply because there's few people there.

now i'm gonna return serve to a dig you previously sent my way........

your blind gullibilty, your open arm embrace of any stupid idea they put forth is very, very funny! OMG! a gondi from downtown NC to Gore.......hilarious!

Meanwhile on Planet Earth..... I did propose an original idea to help NC businesses. it's in the suggestion box thread. it's practicle, informative, cost effective and stands a good chance at generating more business. the businesses and NC themselves could do a much better job at advertising their wares. this is the first step in any business.

[quote="ComeBackMudPuddles"]
    Quote Originally Posted by x10003q

this is all way off, imo. there is no grand conspiracy. i really think things are being managed to develop all the facilities.

any investment made at WF is made in parallel at gore....in fact, rumor has it WF lost some funding for lookout to help gore with burnt ridge/ski bow. anyway, ORDA is a REGIONAL development authority....good luck getting high-speed quads and fancy gondolas AND cheap lift tix without ORDA/NY state.

regarding the conference center, LP has a history of hosting conferences and it would make no sense to have such a facility in NC. the conference facilities are part of an overall plan to advance all of the assets of ORDA. ORDA has no mandate to generally benefit NC or LP. its job is to promote the facilities under its management.
    "this is all way off, imo. there is no grand conspiracy. i really think things are being managed to develop all the facilities."

Conspiracy means in secret. Watch the meeting where Lussi and Weibrect attack the already planned and funded installation of the ski bowl triple. It is no secret. Their delaying tactics could have put the install out 1 year further which places more financial pressure on Front Street(the ski bowl developers who could directly compete with the Lussi/Weibrect properties). These two own 2 of the largest lodge/hotels in downtown LP. It is no secret where their interests lie.

"any investment made at WF is made in parallel at gore....in fact, rumor has it WF lost some funding for lookout to help gore with burnt ridge/ski bow."

Why are the 2 ski areas running parallel investments? Gore always had a Gondola and now WF has one. The Top Ridge triple (used from WF)was supposed to be a HSQ. The NYS constitution limits WF to 25 miles of trails and limits Gore to 40 miles of trails so quite obviously Gore will have way more skiing than WF. As for the funding rumor, in today's ski market I doubt that any major ski area (other than MRG's $1.45 million update to its single) would install a 6100 linear foot/1432vert foot fixed grip lift to service expert terrain.

"anyway, ORDA is a REGIONAL development authority"

The name does not match the actions. The over the years most of the board members rep the region of LP.

"good luck getting high-speed quads and fancy gondolas AND cheap lift tix without ORDA/NY state. "

You mean like Okemo and Stratton and even Sugarbush? These 3 get no funding from any state agencies and yet they all are loaded with high speed lifts + top snowmaking cover. By the way, Gore and and especially WF lift ticket prices are very close to these 3 areas.

"regarding the conference center, LP has a history of hosting conferences and it would make no sense to have such a facility in NC. the conference facilities are part of an overall plan to advance all of the assets of ORDA. ORDA has no mandate to generally benefit NC or LP. its job is to promote the facilities under its management"

I understand that currently NC would not benefit from a conference center. I was just pointing out the amount of $ that flows to LP. By the way the conference center is not "sports venue". If there was a decent market for conferences, maybe this facility would have been built and run by some other county/state/private group, not ORDA. I get the idea of trying to drive some of the conf business to LP, but getting to LP is not easy for anybody who has to fly. The people who benefit the most from this will be the overnight accommodation people like Lussi and Weibrect. ORDA is based in LP, the Olympic facilities are around LP, and many of its board members have vested interest in LP. In 2007-2008 ORDA lost about $15 million from operations of all the facilities including both ski areas. I have not seen Gore and WF profitablitiy broken out. I am sure the other facilities cost more to operate than they bring in. All of these venues are in LP the including jobs, food and bev revenue, overnight lodging revenue, etc. The profit from Gore goes to support these other facilities that are all located in LP while Gore has to send Mike Pratt to LP to beg ORDA for monies already earmarked for Gore.

i gotta agree w/3q. ORDA does seem to favor Placid/Face. this is how it will remain. and yes Pratt did " have hat in hand " at the meeting trying to get to lift installation money released while the boys tried to "extract" money from Front Street-even though such extortion demands were never laid on anybody else-aka the boys.

also, rumor has it that the topridge chair was supposed to be the lift that was actually installed at Face....the Facelift. instead Gore got the old lift. BUT this is just a rumor. anybody know for sure?

anybody know just how Face supposedly lost Lookout money to Gore?

if the Ski Bowl truly gets going and they need mega bucks to install a interconnect Gondi to make it viable, then, in this economy, any Whiteface developement money will get flushed down the Bowl for a few years. say goodbye. that giant sucking sound may just be Hoyt's High snowmaking money getting flushed down the Bowl. then others will join me in saying ....WTF!!! Sure hope Gore has all the money they need to install snowmaking not only on the Bowl's trails, but also on the loooong interconnect trails. sure hope it's truly ski in/ski out or else it a Gondi for the Bowl. FLUSH!

boy, i don't know how Gore or Face could be operating in the red...... do they really say this? how would it be possible? they don't have to pay for any improvements they make ........doesn't the Goverment(s) give that money to them as a grant - not a loan ? their ticket prices are in sync with the private areas. their season passes maybe a bit cheaper, but that would likely be more than covered by not having to pay for any improvements. Plus, they wouldn't have to pay sales tax on anything...on major purchases that could be some coin.....fuel tax savings on already discounted fuel and possibly utilities. they would be buying their purchases off the state contracts which have substantially reduced prices. do they pay real estate or school taxes? they get plenty of patrons. neither area pays for the vast amount of water they consume for snowmaking... does West mtn. et al pay for water for snow making ? what about Federal or State income taxes....i'ld bet they don't pay either of these major costs, especially state income tax. they have many, many financial advantages over the private areas.

do they really say they come up short per anum? if so, how's that possible? where's the money going?

***EDIT*** i wonder if they ever even had a mortgage payment to make?

(post deleted)

Why in the world does Gore have to become a destination resort in the first place? huh? IT DOESN'T! your premise is faulty. Plus, not all Gore skiers want more people there. you guys beating the drum to get more people to Gore are cutting your own throat and ours. Why in the world would you want long lift lines and crowded slopes? and don't say it wouldn't happen. you can't have it both ways(unless you're a politician). if you think their plans will bring more people then that equals crowds, case closed! and no thank you!

Why does NC deserve more attention/dollars for economic developement that any other towns in the ADKS? there's dozens of other towns that are equally if not far more sedate than NC. Why are they being discriminated against? at least NC has Gore. that's alot more than many other ADK towns!

not everybody who lives in the area wants more people there. many who live in the area do so simply because there's few people there.
    You hit the nail on the head for me. I like things the way they are. Gore is NOT, and will NEVER be like Killington or Stratton (if you want that kind of experience, just follow the crowds into Vermont). For the most part, local businessmen are pushing these development pipe dreams. Why? Because it MIGHT help them, but it won't help us -- the consumers/skiers. Bitch all you want, but Gore provides a unique ADK skiing experience that will be nothing but a memory if the Front Street development (a/k/a the New Yankee Stadium in the North Country) actually sees the light of day.

IIRC, during the Mike Pratt hat-in-hand ORDA meeting, someone said that Gore would have been in the black if the State had not cut $1.5 million from their appropriation (the life-blood of any state-related entity). Get used to that. Gore and Whiteface were lucky to get what they got when they got it. They're both walking a tightrope. That's why the daily lift ticket price is not as competitive as it used to be, but also why they didn't raise the full season pass rate this year. All this talk about new lifts or gondolas is absurd. IF THE $$$ HASN'T BEEN APPROPRIATED, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! Just be happy that they're gonna install snowmaking on Sagamore this year.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

puddles........why do i have to have a plan for Gore/NC? just because i don't believe any old BS idea that comes along? but if you insist.......here's one for the Gullibles.......how about they close the road to Gore and force people to go to NC? then install a teleporter to access the mtn. they could even go whole hog and install a port to a Worm Hole and thus become the World's first " Gateway to another Galaxy!", which is where some people seem to be living anyway.

or give everybody that goes to NC $1000. that's sure to be far more effective in bringing people into NC and probably far cheaper than the other ideas they come up with and you tout.

sarcasm isn't an argument, or a way to be convincing. it's way too easy to sit back and bitch about everything like an 80-year old hermit shut-in.

you really think the 8-person gondola, HSQ and new terrain was installed with the intention to otherwise preserve the quaint gore of old? get real. skiing is a big business these days, and either you adapt and develop or you slowly wither away (ski big tupper part deux?). the other areas you mention, like stratton, sugarbush and killington, have one major asset going for them that gore doesn't: real estate. that's where they money is that funds on-mountain development like state-of-the-art snowmaking and lifts.

helping NC develop brings money and jobs to the region (good) and increases revenue for gore (good for gore and for ORDA).

you're right, though, gore doesn't *need* modern amenities, but, increased skier visits suggests the public likes the improved product. if you want things to "stay the same" so you don't get liftlines (and, really, with the size of the place and the great lifts, what lines?), maybe you should go ski west, magic or re-open hickory hill).

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles
    sarcasm isn't an argument, or a way to be convincing. it's way too easy to sit back and bitch about everything like an 80-year old hermit shut-in.
    Au Contraire....i happen to be carrying my end of the debate very effectively. not only am i supported by evidence, common sense and logic, the Post Star articles are bearing me out.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...l/14831711.txt

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...l/14827114.txt

for the Railroad operators to say they need Goverment built gift shops at the Hadley and Thurman stations or they won't go there is a ridiculous red herring. why? they already have gift shops at Riparius AND North Creek. so how are gift shops every ten miles gonna help? there's only so much trinkets people will buy. forcing people to disembark every ten miles to parade thru gift shops will be annoying. Plus having two more shops would actually increase costs for the line (more employees, utilities, etc) it would be more effeciently handled at the already existing Riparius station and NC gift shops. Besides, the train Operators were aware of what was being built at Hadley/Thurman and coulda spoke up before. No, i see the house of cards collapsing and those involved are scrambling for cover. there will be more pleas for Government subsidized profits in the future. Flush!

People here in Warren county, home of Gore and the failroad, are starting to see thru BS and are getting outright mad. the county is slashing employees, real people's jobs, real services lost, while these goofy ideas are proving to be abject failures, now and in the future.

in regards to your "it's too easy to sit back and bitch" remark.....it's issues and problems that i'm pointing out and supporting w/evidence, a perfectly legitement option. if you don't like the fact that your chosen position is weak and failing then you need to take that up with yourself.

not long ago, you asked where's my idea to help NC. even though it's not incumbent upon me to supply ideas to them.....i had already submited a very practicle, cost effective and most likely a business generating idea for NC. it's merits were obvious, easy to see. It's in the suggestion box thread.

WHERE'S YOUR IDEA PUDDLES?

Or were you refering to yourself as the 80 year old shut in Hermit who justs sits back and bitches about everything? taking the easy route?

Originality, cost effectiveness and potentail count. Got any of that?