3 Things You Like About Gore

Ok ..it seemed like there were two potential threads out there.

One on the history of Gore. The other was about the things we liked about Gore.

I don't know that much about the history so I'm going to start the second one.

I'm sure it's been done before, but the players are new, the mountain is new....and hey it is summer.

This is not "The 3 Best things about Gore." That requires too much thinking and invites too much jaw bonin.

Just three things I like:

1 - The runs under the lifts. High Pines, Dark Side, Straightbrook. (Even Showcase is decent.) With those first three...they are just a little beyond me, so the challenge is perfect. Also I like any run where irregular bumps form - the opposite of zipper line. Somehow I am more in tune with those runs.

2 - The lack of lines at Gore. I hope the optimists are right and we'll enjoy that for a long time to come.

3 - The terrain at Gore. If you've even been to a mountain like Blue Mtn in PA....it's a straight ridge. Blacks in the middle, Blues next to that, Greens are windy roads on the side. So boring. Gore's got all kinds of convolutions, that set up different areas with different personalities. Ya you've got flats in there. So what. One thing for sure...on teles the flats are no big deal.

And when you're riding the Straightbrook...you get about a 1/3 of the way up and look over to the right. Basically your in a wooded bowl, that you can ski almost all of...trails, glades and the rest. It's like a big playground. And on how many mountains are the two summit chairs so well protected from the wind? What mountains of Gore's size have that much tree skiing?

Would love to hear your 3 things.

1. They let you ski their liftlines.

2. Their glades

3. Walt's Bump Contest
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

1) Home style local feel for a big mountain. last day of the season on the deck....just fun, not crazy, just skiers who like skiing and having a beer. You can let the kids walk around without feeling like they will get stolen/molested etc.

2) Separation of blacks from Blues/Greens And when open...real greens from blues.

3) Main reason we purchased here...its still kkind of inexpensive to purchase a home, and there is some upside potential.

3 conflicts a bit with 1 above...they compete. But as in other posts...a business and town are in business to survive. If you dont grow, you die. Because its State controlled, no one will dump billions into it and make it grow too fast. State controlled means measured, if not slow, growth.

1 Small lift lines

2 You can actually get a beer in the bar

3 Trees,Trees,Trees

1) First track high speed GS turns on Twister on non-race mornings

2) Grooming - exceeds expectations after variable weather previous night/day

3) Entertainment of the "under the lift runs" during mid-Winter (those who overcommitt)

1) There is some nasty stuff on several marked runs--High Pines, Dark Side, Mineshaft, Rumor--trails haven't been sanitized for your protection...

2) Laid back vibe and location of lodge/deck--they're literally slopeside so you can run in, drop off a layer, and back on lift in under 3 minutes.

3) Views from Cloud.

1. The uncrowded slopes. Even on holiday weekends, the mountain handles the crowd.

2. The terrain is awesome. There is wonderful stuff for green-double black sliders. Ruby Run made the Gondola green again.
    Tahawus and Sleeping Bear are 2 great trails for anybody. If the North Quad wasn't so painfully slow I would spend more time on those trails. The upper mountain is loaded with challenging trails and trees. The SB is in a protected bowl while the Dark Side has old school trails and great snow (usually). The trails at Gore are all quite different, even when they are side by side: Hawkeye-Chatiemac, Twister-Showcase, Double Barrel-Rumor, Uncus-Topridge.

3. Location/Access- It takes me 3hr10min of driving time from North Jersey, mostly on the highway. It is 25 easy minutes from the Northway. Years of driving through Troy, NY on Rt 7 (usually behind a bus or 18 wheeler)to get to Mt Snow/Haystack, Stratton/Brom/Magic made my decision to ski Gore simple. Even in bad weather it has never taken longer than 4.5 hours to get to Gore. I have been stopped in Bennington with the road over Prospect Mountain closed for sanding more times than I care to remember. One Friday night the trip took 6-7 hours. This also has happened coming out of Manchester to get up to Stratton. I always smile when I pass Northway Exit 20, Fort Ann, Rt 149 (Killington) because I only have another 35 minutes of driving time, not 90+ minutes to Killington and forget about Sugarbush. I mostly ski weekends and the 3 hour driving time leaves more time for enjoying the weekend.

1. Glades - both marked and unmarked. Of the marked ones, Darkside, Chatie, Cirque, and the OSG are pretty freakin' sweet.
    2. People - Lots of friends and random acquaintances up there that, whenever I see them , I think of winter.
    3. Deck - The deck in the spring is the bomb. You never know what they'll crack down on, but for now, BYOB is awesome.