Thread: Gore Mtn Wiki

Gore Mtn Wiki

While searching the web for More Gore - Dark Side Photos, Aerials...all that stuff I like...I came across this Wiki for Gore:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Mountain_(ski_resort)

(You may have to past the whole link above into your browser...I can't seem to make it link right?)

It has some interesting information and possibly some misinformation. For one thing I'm pretty sure that the High Peaks Area is not the oldest lift served area on the mountain. I'd always assumed that the East Side was the oldest lift served area. This map seems to show the East and North sides before High Peaks:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2006/01...-gore-mtn.html

They could be referring the ride and slide days. I think Cloud was the oldest trail from the summit that still exists. Maybe they are considering that part of the High Peaks area.

Anyway - back to the Wiki... what's right and wrong about it? Would like to hear your 2 cents.

High Peaks lift oldest at Gore?

At the bottom of Lower Steilhang, just where you turn right to go towards the lift there is a little shack on the skiers left and a trail / road along side of it. It is is hard to see since one is typically facing the other way trying to go fast over the flats. I remember someone telling me that this was the top of an old lift (a t-bar or rope tow perhaps). This may be what they are referring to in Wikipedia.

On a related note there was once a lower, Lower Steilhang. i was once at Gore as a teenager in the early 70's and skied it. If you look on your right just after you get on the High Peaks chair you can see that the trees are a little smaller and younger looking where the trail was. it was obvious several years ago but now it is getting pretty filled in.

We could probably have an interesting thread on abandoned trails at Gore. Anyone remember the trail that goes into Wood In to the right of the North chair, i think it was called Little Star or something like that.

Re: High Peaks lift oldest at Gore?

Quote Originally Posted by kornfein
    We could probably have an interesting thread on abandoned trails at Gore. Anyone remember the trail that goes into Wood In to the right of the North chair, i think it was called Little Star or something like that.
    Please use the Gore History thread...........
    incoming .................DUCK !