Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good Snow Vehicle . . .

. . . that you don't mind driving around when there's no snow.

I have a Hyundai Tucson, 6 cyl., lockable 4WD, electronic stability control w/ all-season snow tires (Nokian WR G2) and I been quite disappointed with its performance in the snow. I've seen Subaru Outbacks eat my lunch in bad storms (and I bet they were just on all-season tires). My previous car, a Honda CR-V (with Nokian WR), was way better in the snow (I gave it to my daughter -- damn ).

Please share your experiences about good snow cars that you don't hate to drive when there's no snow. Anybody want to rave about Subarus, RAV-4's, pickup trucks, etc. I know how good Jeeps are (long ago I knew 2 brothers who had a CJ-5 and a CJ-7 -- incredible in snow, sand, etc.) but I don't want to drive one every day.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

I don't actually rave about our CRV but I think it's a good compromise. We need a good highway car, with decent cargo room, that can get up that steep driveway at the end of drive.

To me....being somewhat gas mileage obsessed....the choice has always been between the Outback and the CRV. We are actually on our second CRV and I think the old one was easier to get up the driveway. It was really underpowered, which made it less likely that the wheels would break loose if you hit the gas too hard.

If I actually LIVED in the North Country full time...it would be Outback all the way. The Outback AWD system is definitely better than the system in the CRV if traction is the primary concern.

The CRV sacrifices some traction for fuel efficiency. Essentially it's a bigger car with the same MPGs as an Outback and significantly more cargo room. If I didn't have to truck the family from NJ to North River 20 times a year...it would be Outback all the way. The last 150 feet up that steep slick driveway....in the CRV...it's just a little too much excitement for my taste. The Subies make it up with more confidence.

I've driven a CRV since 2004 and always found it to do fine in winter conditions.

I just bought a Subaru Forester and can't wait to dive it this winter, I've heard good things.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Check out and do your research on Subies, you wont regret it. That car is built for snow, they only build AWD cars for a reason---they're good at it!!! 2010 Foresters are on the ground and the new 2010 legacy/outback will be hear in 3wks. Good luck!!!
    The older I get the faster I was

Re: Good Snow Vehicle . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    I have a Hyundai Tucson, 6 cyl., lockable 4WD, electronic stability control w/ all-season snow tires (Nokian WR G2) and I been quite disappointed with its performance in the snow. I've seen Subaru Outbacks eat my lunch in bad storms (and I bet they were just on all-season tires). My previous car, a Honda CR-V (with Nokian WR), was way better in the snow (I gave it to my daughter -- damn ).
    OK, the weak link in the equation was the Nokian WR G2. Just replaced them, because they were bald at < 35K. Tread wear and snow performance were nowhere near the results we had (the wife had both models on a FWD Lexus) with the previous and no-longer-available WR. Like night and day. If you're gonna be replacing tires for the upcoming ski season, avoid the Nokian WR G2 like the plague.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

nokian makes great snow tires, but they use a soft rubber compound. If you use them in the summer you will wear them out fast. i've put them on most of my cars, but take them off in the spring. Doing that they last about 4 years.The same goes for Brigstone Blizzaks. great snow tire, but if you leave them on in the summer you might get 1 year out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo40
    nokian makes great snow tires, but they use a soft rubber compound. If you use them in the summer you will wear them out fast. i've put them on most of my cars, but take them off in the spring. Doing that they last about 4 years.The same goes for Brigstone Blizzaks. great snow tire, but if you leave them on in the summer you might get 1 year out of them.
    I agree. In general, a snow tire will dissolve before your eyes if you use it in the summer. But the WR is a year-round tire that has the snow tire "snowflake" rating, so it's OK to keep them on all year round. I went thru 3 sets of them in 120k on a Honda CR-V -- I got an avg. of 40k on each set, and I replaced them way before they were bald before each winter so I would have a deeper tread. My point is that the newer model, the WR G2, SUCKS. It's nowhere near as good as the WR it replaced.

Subaru's are definitely known for snow driving. Although, Audi is pretty close behind. I'm surprised the Tuscon didn't do well in the snow. I have a Santa Fe and it's made it through just about anything. We got up to Gore from Saratoga (~60mi) in the Valentine's day storm a few years back without snow tires. It took a bit, but we got there.

Ever think about just getting snow tires? Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's are amazing. Pick up a set of steel rims for cheap and mount them to those so you don't have to swap the tires every winter.

OR you could just get some chains
    send it!

Quote Originally Posted by fujative. View Post
    Subaru's are definitely known for snow driving. Although, Audi is pretty close behind. I'm surprised the Tuscon didn't do well in the snow. I have a Santa Fe and it's made it through just about anything. We got up to Gore from Saratoga (~60mi) in the Valentine's day storm a few years back without snow tires. It took a bit, but we got there.

Ever think about just getting snow tires? Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's are amazing. Pick up a set of steel rims for cheap and mount them to those so you don't have to swap the tires every winter.

Yeah I agree, they are great for driving in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by fujative.

I did the separate sets of mounted tires for years when I had a garage, and it worked great, but I don't have a garage or the storage space anymore. I have 8 years experience with Nokian tires. The WR was great, the WR G2 sucks, so don't blame the Tucson. No vehicle will make up for bad rubber (the only thing that contacts the road or the snow).