Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Whiteface Winter 09/10, and El Nino?

Re: Here we go again!

Quote Originally Posted by NPN
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090709_elnino.html
    These chunkle heads can barely get tomorrow's weather right. I'll wait til the season is in swing before getting worried about the weather.
    Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper
    These chunkle heads can barely get tomorrow's weather right. I'll wait til the season is in swing before getting worried about the weather.
    Agreed, but I thought el Nino was the good one for our snow count.

Would any of you more weather savy types please chime in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper
    Agreed, but I thought el Nino was the good one for our snow count.

Would any of you more weather savy types please chime in on this?
    yea, Harv. what's the El Nino scoop?
    incoming .................DUCK !

The article attempts to reflect that there is liklely above average rain/snow fall as a result. I would think the issue for the ADKs would then be timing.....when it rains---it will be cold enough for it to snow. Generally, Dec, Jan, Feb, one can say YES>

I'm certainly no weather expert. And I'd really like to hear what Scott Braaten thinks.

In the years I can remember that were strong El Nino...it wasn't good. What meterologists call a "zonal flow" develops. Big wet storms pound the west coast and come straight across the country. When that flow is really strong...cold air gets bottled up in Canada making only short appearances south of the US border. It's wet and warm in the northeast.

When El Nino isn't as strong, it can be good. Honestly I'm not sure what the difference is between a weak El Nino and La Nina. They may be the same thing. In that case, the systems come across and the cold air is more likely to be involved in the Adks and Vt.

I still think it's best when there is no effect. Big cold Highs coming south from Canada, with clippers bringing down more cold air. And coastal lows running along the fronts. That's what I'm after. I'd always rather have consistent cold, even with a reduced chance of the big juicy storms. The big meltdowns are a bummer - especially for a mountain like Gore - with limited ability to recover the mountain quickly.

When this July prognostication comes out every year, the NOAA wording is always non-committal. They know it's a long way off. But they seems to be saying there is a decent chance of a strong El Nino.

Hope not.

EDIT: Some NOAA graphics here:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/07...-forecast.html

thanks harv. i do not miss all that month long subzero, 20-30 below BS we used to get each year. last few winters have been about right temp wise.

the Sun finally shone today, thank God! keep it coming.

i do wish we had real summers here. 80's warm mid may-september. to those who don't live here, i explain by saying there is soooooooooooo much to do here it's unreal. summer here is an absolute blast! here in the Lake George area there's all the fun tourist stuff to do plus the Great Escape Amusement park and it's cool water park have $60 season passes! these are also good at Six Flags Parks Nationwide. we usually hit a one of those too.

the great part....you don't even have to spend money here to have fun. there's more hiking trails here then anywhere else in the country and they're great. there's thousands of lakes and many rivers most of which are crystal clear. the fishing, canoeing, tubing is a freegin riot. Hudson river gouge is "gorgeous" and the raft trip a blast. Lake George,the Queen of America lakes, is fantastic. many islands, rock ledges to jump off, Log Bay Days-a flotilla party. we get around a good bit in the summer and everwhere we go we take our swim suits. see a lake/river/stream stop-change-jump in! the Bouquet river(et al) is fun. it has beauuuutiful waters and it's tribs have many sparkling pools with cool rocks to launch off. can you say woohoo?

the bicycle riding is great. there's many, many activities. just grap a Chronicle and check the back pages for long list of town's activities, theater, concerts - many free. if you wanna drink, ride the trolley to Lake George, drink at the many waterfront bars, then ride the trolley home.

you outta towners ought to consider retiring here. it rocks.

lol. listen to me....i sound a little like Adirondack Murray!!!

today brought more crappy, wet, rainy, rainy and cool weather. i've had alotta nights here in the 40's this summer. i'm starting to think this is another " year without a summer " . back in the Little Ice Age, which ended in the ~early 1800's, there was a summer here when it snowed feet in June and July. ponds froze over in July. it was know as the year without a summer. during this period, 1500's-1800's, New York City harbor sometimes froze solid in the winter. people would frequently walk across and have festivals on the frozen harbor. General Washington used the frozen rivers as highways through the wilderness for troop movement including supply wagons, artillery, horses and oxen. none of this could be done now. the Continental Army truly endured hardship.

The Little Ice Age is also thought to have brought about the demise of the Viking settlements in Greenland or was it Iceland-maybe both. it is also why we're a beer culture instead of wine. the vineyards died, so people had to grow other crops and that lead to.....KEG PARTIES! word.

oddly, the Little Ice Age ended very abrutely and warmth returned to the northern hemisphere. then all the people said " Thank God! we were freezing our ya-ya's off. get me another beer, Honey! ".

This guy perdicts a cold winter for the Northeast. Most of the aricle is about the cool summer weather, but toward the bottom he discusses the coming winter. http://www.accuweather.com/news-weat....asp?#extremes
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Thanks for the link HPD...love the long term weather...even though it's questionable at best.

Maybe NPN should change the title of his thread to:

Whiteface Weather 09/10

It's off to a good start.