Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weenie Bug Questions

I find posts asking about the bugs in the mountains to be kinda weenie. "Hey man how are the bugs this year?" Get real. If it's after May 10 and before July 15, the black flies are probably going to be hungry.

After the ski season ends, I come up solo in May to get the wood in for the next season. I don't mind the flies, and they don't seem to bother a man with a chain saw. I don't bring the family until August 15... my wife and baby....they just don't like the bugs.

Anyway...there has been SO much rain this year... I'm wondering if anyone who has been up in the hills recently has any info to share. It wouldn't surprise me if bug season was extended this year. If I'm right, I'm thinking we may skip our August weekend and stick with our week in September. Thanks for any input.

Re: Weenie Bug Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44
    I find posts asking about the bugs in the mountains to be kinda weenie. "Hey man how are the bugs this year?" Get real. It wouldn't surprise me if bug season was extended this year. If I'm right, I'm thinking we may skip our August weekend and stick with our week in September. Thanks for any input.
    that's rich. first you declare those who ask " hey man how are the bugs this year ?" to be weenies, then you immediately follow with your own query of "how are the bugs this year?".

in you're own words....." Get real ".

how could one describe your post? invertebrate? duplicitous? Janus faced? Wait! your own words........Weenie.

too much! wow.

" Get real ". stay home. the bugs possess more integrity than you.
    incoming .................DUCK !

Harv, In the Wilmington area I don't think they've been too bad for the most part. I do think the season has been extended though. It's not like you can't go outside. When hiking I always have a bug head net in my pack. I've only had to use it once all summer. My wife isn't a big bug fan for sure, she went with me last week for about 4 hours and had no complaints.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

I think the cooler weather has made up for the wet weather and as a result they are about the same. I just got back from a 3 day camping/paddle trip near Forked Lake and didn't have to put on the Ole Woodsman at all. Had to spend a short time with long sleeved shirt during the "bewitching hour" one evening, but that was the worst of it.

Hey, What ever happenned to the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Adk Keith
    Hey, What ever happenned to the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?
    an obvious reference to Harv's calling people weenies and telling them to "get real" simply because they inquire about the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowballs
    how could one describe your post? invertebrate? duplicitous? Janus faced? ...

" Get real ". stay home. the bugs possess more integrity than you.
    having a bad Monday hangover, ballsy?

Wow.

I guess rereading it...I was a little uncomfortable asking the question, so the post was kinda cheesy. Still I don't think I deserve some of those comments. Really I was just trying to post something in the offseason. I should leave the creative threadery to HPD. He is the master.

Thanks for the input HPD and Adk Keith. Basically that was exactly the information I was looking for - very helpful.

Keith - would love to see you put up a TR on the Forked Lake trip. Was that in your black jack? Did you take any pics?

Really I was just trying to post something in the offseason.
    Please don't stop Harv, you keep things going around here. You care about keeping this forum up and it shows. I for one really appreciate it.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Anyway...there has been SO much rain this year... I'm wondering if anyone who has been up in the hills recently has any info to share. It wouldn't surprise me if bug season was extended this year. If I'm right, I'm thinking we may skip our August weekend and stick with our week in September. Thanks for any input.
    The mosquitoes, of course, are as bad as ever. Lotsa rain means lotsa breeding puddles.

This past weekend, the no-see-ums ate me up. And I never saw "um" My arms look like I had the measles.
    The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeworthy
    The mosquitoes, of course, are as bad as ever. Lotsa rain means lotsa breeding puddles.

This past weekend, the no-see-ums ate me up. And I never saw "um" My arms look like I had the measles.
    I must ask. What are those no-see-ums? Is that their real name? The blasted things are the major annoyance here at my house. early summer is bad every year. this year they are still around prompting people to do the Adirondack Wave.